Roscoe Parrish

Dawgg

In both 2001 and 2002 Mulakrey's rushing offense finished in the Top 10 in the NFL, including being ranked #1 overall in 2001 when the Stillers ammased 580 rushing attempts (the #2 ranked team had 509).

Yeah Mike really got away from teh smashmouth while he was there.  :doh:

Also quite a coincidence that they "went back" <chuckle> to their traditional style and won a SUperBowl shortly after hiring Dick Lebeau.

Keep on squawking puppet.....

Edit: Doh! Forgot this was the Roscoe thread. Sorry and I promise to quit now, regardless of what kind of lies and nonsense people continue to spread.

778480[/snapback]

Of course you forget to mention that lovely 6-10 record that they had while MM was there in his final season. But dont let that stop you from continuing to whack mularkey off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I always saw with MM and his offense was more the timing of his play calling. All offenses run trick plays, pass on 3 and 1, and do all the sorts of things MM gets a bad rap for. However, the difference is WHEN you do these things.

For example, the Roscoe TD that almost was (to throw this back to Roscoe as well), it was a great call at that time. In other circumstances, it would be a terrible call. MM always seems to make those calls at the wrong time. He seems unable to set up one play with the next.

I think it was Peyton Manning that once said in a PC - you use some plays to set up other plays, and you use some games to set up other games. Well, that's what we did yesterday, we set up the dolphins with each play. Hence, the play action TD worked so well; and so did the pitch to Roscoe. Similarly, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see JP airing it out when we play them again in Buffalo.

In both 2001 and 2002 Mulakrey's rushing offense finished in the Top 10 in the NFL, including being ranked #1 overall in 2001 when the Stillers ammased 580 rushing attempts (the #2 ranked team had 509).

Yeah Mike really got away from teh smashmouth while he was there.  :blush:

Also quite a coincidence that they "went back" <chuckle> to their traditional style and won a SUperBowl shortly after hiring Dick Lebeau.

Keep on squawking puppet.....

Edit: Doh! Forgot this was the Roscoe thread. Sorry and I promise to quit now, regardless of what kind of lies and nonsense people continue to spread.

778480[/snapback]

Ok, just for the hell of it. I think think is stupid, but you called me out so I'll respond. Lets look at the stats.

Rushing

2001 - 2746 yards

2002 - 2116 yards

2003 - 1495 yards

Looks like a steady decline there. He may started out "smashmouth" but that sure didn't last long.

Lets look at passing those years

2001 - 3295 yards

2002 - 4036 yards (with Maddox and Stewart? impossible!)

2003 - 2548 yards.

Ok, I'll give you the fact that 2003 sucked overall, which happens to be when people claim the Steelers wanted Mularkey out. But how in the world could Maddox and Stewart pass for 4036 (when we all know big ben is god). So rushing dropped 630 yards from 01-02 while passing increased 741.

Now lets look at attempts.

Rushing

2001 - 580

2002 - 512

2003 - 446

Passing

2001 - 454

2002 - 551

2003 - 532

Wow, looks like rushing steadily decreased and passing steadily increased. Couldn't be. In 2001 rush attempts outnumbered passing by 126. 2003, passing outnumbered rushing by 86. Amazing.

Lets look at post Mularkey when Big Ben the god came to be.

2004- Rushing - 2467 yards;618 attempts -- Passing - 2970 yards; 340 attempts.

You mean to say Big Ben the god and savior only threw 2970 yards compared to Stewart and Maddox's 4036? Blashpmy. Why could that be? Could it be because Mularkey ran 39 more passing attempts then rushing with inferior QB's compared with 278 more rushing attempts then passing with the savior big ben?

2005- Rushing - 2223 yards; 536 attempts -- Passing 3104 yards; 371 attempts

The Superbowl team behind big ben (the savior) had 180 fewer pass attempts then with the inferior Stewart/Maddox? Inconcevable.

Must be because the defense totally sucked right? They were always playing from behind so they had to be pass happy correct? Wait, this can't be, the Steelers ranked 7 and 9 overall in defense in 02 and 03? That's obviously a far cry from the #4 ranking last year when rushing heavily outweighed the passing.

Your probably right, Mularkey wasn't pass happy. Don't let my "squawking" get in the way of your "facts."

Ok, just for the hell of it. Lets look at the stats.

Rushing

2001 - 2746 yards

2002 - 2116 yards

2003 - 1495 yards

Looks like a steady decline there. He may started out "smashmouth" but that sure didn't last long.

Lets look at passing those years

2001 - 3295 yards

2002 - 4036 yards (with Maddox and Stewart? impossible!)

2003 - 2548 yards.

Ok, I'll give you the fact that 2003 sucked overall, which happens to be when people claim the Steelers wanted Mularkey out. But how in the world could Maddox and Stewart pass for 4036 (when we all know big ben is god). So rushing dropped 630 yards from 01-02 while passing increased 741.

Now lets look at attempts.

Rushing

2001 - 580

2002 - 512

2003 - 446

Passing

2001 - 454

2002 - 551

2003 - 532

Wow, looks like rushing steadily decreased and passing steadily increased. Couldn't be. In 2001 rush attempts outnumbered passing by 126. 2003, passing outnumbered rushing by 86. Amazing.

Lets look at post Mularkey when Big Ben the god came to be.

2004- Rushing - 2467 yards;618 attempts -- Passing - 2970 yards; 340 attempts.

You mean to say Big Ben the god and savior only threw 2970 yards compared to Stewart and Maddox's 4036? Blashpmy. Why could that be? Could it be because Mularkey ran 39 more passing attempts then rushing with inferior QB's compared with 278 more rushing attempts then passing with the savior big ben?

2005- Rushing - 2223 yards; 536 attempts -- Passing 3104 yards; 371 attempts

The Superbowl team behind big ben (the savior) had 180 fewer pass attempts then with the inferior Stewart/Maddox? Inconcevable.

Must be because the defense totally sucked right? They were always playing from behind so they had to be pass happy correct? Wait, this can't be, the Steelers ranked 7 and 9 overall in defense in 02 and 03? That's obviously a far cry from the #4 ranking last year when rushing heavily outweighed the passing.

Your probably right, Mularkey wasn't pass happy. Don't let my "squawking" get in the way of your "facts."

778586[/snapback]

I'm sure that just proves Simon's point. Somehow. :blush:

I'm pretty sure that the only winner of this debate is.......Tom Clements

Why isn't his house being lit on fire? He was so bad as an OC he was replaced by Mike Mularkey half way through the season. Notice that minus the Texans game, the few games that Losman actually looked like a QB was the second half for a few games....or quarters. Look I can't give you a where or when exactly MM replace Clemenets, but MM has a record of 14-18 with the Bills, period. If we always talking about how good it is to have Jerry Gray gone, and if Tom Clements can't even do his own job, well how many head coaches COULD keep a team a float?

I like Dick Jauron ALOT better than I like Mike Mularkey, but it's not like MM kidnaps babies and sacrifices them on an alter every full moon (If he did I would think he was cooler than I do now.) he's just a guy who isn't a great coach. But he has to be good enough cause he's still around in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure that the only winner of this debate is.......Tom Clements

Why isn't his house being lit on fire?  He was so bad as an OC he was replaced by Mike Mularkey half way through the season.  Notice that minus the Texans game, the few games that Losman actually looked like a QB was the second half for a few games....or quarters.  Look I can't give you a where or when exactly MM replace Clemenets, but MM  has a record of 14-18 with the Bills, period.  If we always talking about how good it is to have Jerry Gray gone, and if Tom Clements can't even do his own job, well how many head coaches COULD keep a team a float?

I like Dick Jauron ALOT better than I like Mike Mularkey, but it's not like MM kidnaps babies and sacrifices them on an alter every full moon (If he did I would think he was cooler than I do now.) he's just a guy who isn't a great coach.  But he has to be good enough cause he's still around in the NFL.

778621[/snapback]

And because I can..... :blink::blush::lol::doh::lol::wub:-_-

Every single time there was a 50/50 call, the zebras on the field called it on our favor.

That blown call on the Losman fumble was as ridiculous as it was huge. They tried to give the Bills the ball on a Walker "fumble" that was clearly not a fumble. Culpepper's second fumble was a result of Schobel grabbing Ronnie Brown by the jersey.

That's all I can think of offhand but there were a bunch of times during my film review that I remember thinking, thanks Mr Stripes. And only twice where I groaned at questionable calls (Reed's block and a weak holding call on Reyes that negated a nice McGahee pick-up).

778163[/snapback]

1. per the NFL, referees have been instructed to protect a QB "in the grasp"....has JP pulled off a flick pass to willis who then ran for a TD, the result of the play still would have been a sack. refs have to protect the QB's.....too much money at risk for the league to have some one like manning, palmer, brady go down because some one got a cheap shot on him while he was in the grasp

2. per the NFL THIS offseason, refs have been instructed to be more lenient with blowing a play dead due to percieved "runner down by contact". i can remember WAY too many games in the last few years where fumbles could not be challenged and defensive TD's taken off the board because a ref blew his whistle to end a play which left the play unchallengable. GREAT RULE CHANGE HERE. this is exactly the perfect case for replay...whether the call was ruled a fumble or not. the correct call was eventually made.

3. i dont' remember the play of schoebel grabbing brown by the jersey, but i didn't know it was illegal. unless you are talking about a "horsecollar" where a player is taken down from behind by the collar of his jersey??? that i do believe is illegal, but not 100% sure on it.