Roscoe Parrish

Dawgg

One aspect of the gameplan that stood out to me was the use of Roscoe Parrish. I loved the screen pass in the red zone for the touchdown that was called back. The first play on offense had Roscoe as the primary target and it looks to me like Fairchild is trying to find ways to utilize his speed...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One aspect of the gameplan that stood out to me was the use of Roscoe Parrish.  I loved the screen pass in the red zone for the touchdown that was called back. The first play on offense had Roscoe as the primary target and it looks to me like Fairchild is trying to find ways to utilize his speed...

778098[/snapback]

If Mularkey had called that bubblescreen on firstdown from the 10(which is something he would have tried), this board would have been in a tizzy for 9 months.

If Mularkey had called that bubblescreen on firstdown from the 10(which is something he would have tried), this board would have been in a tizzy for 9 months.

778113[/snapback]

That's because Losman would have handed it off to McGahee, who would have lateralled it to evans who would have re-snapped it back to Losman before Parrish got his hands on the ball

That was a really exciting play.  Being at the game, I did not see the replay.

Was there really a penalty on that?

It really is too bad, because that was a hell of a run by RP.

778116[/snapback]

I loved the play as well...but JR had his hands on the corner while the ball was in he air...it was pretty clear.

That was a really exciting play.  Being at the game, I did not see the replay.

It really is too bad, because that was a hell of a run by RP.

778116[/snapback]

Yes, it was a penalty. Reed blocked the defender a half second before RP caught the ball.

Watching the replay made me excited about the play design. Each offensive player on that side of the field seemed to know exactly where each defender would be, and were running a good angle to throw a solid block.

If the timing was a bit better, it looked like this play would consistently result in a huge gain. The key is that Roscoe needs to turn it upfield before someone comes accross from the other side of the field to grab him.

That's because Losman would have handed it off to McGahee, who would have lateralled it to evans who would have re-snapped it back to Losman before Parrish got his hands on the ball

778119[/snapback]

Since he runs about 5 trick plays a year, the odds are that definitely would have been one. :doh:

That was a really exciting play. Being at the game, I did not see the replay.

By the technical letter of the law, it was just barely a penalty.

But:

1) It was the corner who actually intitiated contact by trying to go through Reed who was actually just standing there in his established position.

2) The corner and Reed were engaged for about .03 seconds before the ball got to Parrish

3) It was a garbage call as that stuff goes on all the time with nary a glance from the refs.

4) Can't complain as the stripes called that entire game as if they were in our pocket.

Yep.  I just rewatched it and while Parrish comes back and catches the ball behind the LOS, Reed is blocking beyond the LOS before the ball gets there.

778128[/snapback]

That's what I saw as well. But, I thought that if the pass was behind the line of scrimmage then it wasn't considered a pass, and the receivers could be blocking within 5yds of the LOS. ??? I'm not complaining or trying to nit pick, I'm just curious as to the how the rules go. In essence it was a screen, right?

By the technical letter of the law, it was just barely a penalty.

But:

1) It was the corner who actually intitiated contact by trying to go through Reed who was actually just standing there in his established position.

2) The corner and Reed were engaged for about .03 seconds before the ball got to Parrish

3) It was a garbage call as that stuff goes on all the time with nary a glance from the refs.

4) Can't complain as the stripes called that entire game as if they were in our pocket.

778136[/snapback]

Losman had some pressure right in his face as he wheeled around to throw that pass, and he seemed to float it off his back foot just a little bit. That may have affected the timing as Reed was assuming the ball would've already been in Parrish's hands by the time he started blocking. I agree, a penalty under the rules, but they let WR picks go all the time. Maybe if Reed just obstructed rather than engaging the CB, it would've been let go. But probably the right call if taking a literal read on the rule book.

Either way, nice burst by Parrish to squirt into the end zone. The dude is a waterbug.

778136[/snapback]

That sounds like a pick...and picks are illegal.

778113[/snapback]

I gotta ask, after seeing that game yesterday, HOW can you continue to defend Mularkey? The guy's living on his brain-stem!

That's what I saw as well.  But, I thought that if the pass was behind the line of scrimmage then it wasn't considered a pass, and the receivers could be blocking within 5yds of the LOS.    ???  I'm not complaining or trying to nit pick, I'm just curious as to the how the rules go.  In essence it was a screen, right?

778142[/snapback]

If the pass is behind the LOS, ineligibles (offensive lineman) can get downfield to block without risking the Illegal Man Downfield penalty. However, since it is a forward pass (even though it's behind the LOS) pass interference can still be called while the ball is in the air, which is what happened.

How so?  The only real play I could see was the quick whistle on JP's almost fumble.

778140[/snapback]

Every single time there was a 50/50 call, the zebras on the field called it on our favor.

That blown call on the Losman fumble was as ridiculous as it was huge. They tried to give the Bills the ball on a Walker "fumble" that was clearly not a fumble. Culpepper's second fumble was a result of Schobel grabbing Ronnie Brown by the jersey.

That's all I can think of offhand but there were a bunch of times during my film review that I remember thinking, thanks Mr Stripes. And only twice where I groaned at questionable calls (Reed's block and a weak holding call on Reyes that negated a nice McGahee pick-up).

If the pass is behind the LOS, ineligibles (offensive lineman) can get downfield to block without risking the Illegal Man Downfield penalty.  However, since it is a forward pass (even though it's behind the LOS) pass interference can still be called while the ball is in the air, which it was.

778156[/snapback]

I beg to differ. Since the pass was behind the line of scrimmage you can engage a defender inside the 5 yards allowed even while the ball is in the air. That play worked to perfection and the ref blew the call.