For all of those who predicted we were dooommeed

Pyrite Gal

Please note that while it is to early to predict trends with any degree of certaincy that not only should you take into account that this Bills' team is probably not as bad as you thought they may be with two good performances on the road,

but also with 11 teams being 0-2 after 2 weeks (noth Pitts and Jax who play on Monday night already have a victory) we actually have 5 games on our schedule against these opponents.

Particularly since we play the seemingly hapless GB team, horrible TN, and already once beaten Miami team here at home, not only are all these games winnable, but we stand a reasonable chance of even being favored against really bad teams in Houston and Detroit on the road.

Add in the fact that though it remains true that on any given Sunday anybody can beat anybody, one has to feel good about facing the once beateb Jets at home, and not even bad about facing ME at home.

Indy on the road is the only game I still see as a definite loss, and one can reasonably feel worse about Chicago after they thrashed horrid opponents in their first two (we see how Rex Grossman does with an over/under of 5 games before his season ending injury he usually suffers) and Baltimore (we will see how the whole season goes and whether this is a critical or rest game for either team).

However, after a mere two game (we will know a bit more after the Bills face their first should win game this season Sunday), it seems pretty clear this team is not dooommed and it is possible they may even do quite well with merely adequate play with this schedule and stealing one of the two division games on the road so far.

We'll see.

Oh yes, the annual "for those who thought x" post after our first victory! This one isn't as good as last year's: "where are those who thought we'd miss Pat Williams?" gem, but ok.

I agree - the schedule doesn't look too bad (there are a few other threads on that). We'll see what happens.

Oh yes, the annual "for those who thought x" post after our first victory!  This one isn't as good as last year's: "where are those who thought we'd miss Pat Williams?" gem, but ok. 

777328[/snapback]

where are those who thought we'd miss Troy Vincent?

:lol::lol::doh:

where are those who thought we'd miss Troy Vincent?

:lol:  :lol:  :doh:

777329[/snapback]

It definitely is great how Ko Simpson has stepped up immediately, I certainly was not brilliant enough to realize that even though it took KR Pro Bowler McGe and probably our #1 CB) now several years to play DB well, Simpson has emerged as a difference-maker (his sacks, tackle numbers, and called back by penalty turnover so far).

Perhaps it is because the island of CB is that much more difficult than CB, but I think the differences are that Jauron really is a defensive guru who has designed his version of the Cover 2 well and it is well understood and implemented by Tampa 2 expert Fewell, that they can really determine and translate the roles of defenders well so that the rookies can pick it up easily and well.

In addition, I that Simpson showed in some of the highlights of his college work a good ability to make reads as I have seen tape of him jumping a couple of routes for INTs in college.

There may be some challenges for this and other younsters ahead as OCs get some film on how the D is designed and implemented and formulate strategies designed to exploit it. In addition, as Pro receivers get some tape om Simpson and begin to discover his individual talents and vulnerabilities we will see if he still gets the jump on the pro he is getting right now.

Given the strong buzz Simpson was getting based on his college work and work in camp, had said that I really had hoped we would get at least half a season out of Vincent before age caused him to hit the wall (assuming that even though he led the team in turnovers received and played 16 of 16 last year that eventually being an old man would catch up with him).

The good news is that not only has Simpson stepped up quicker than most if not all had expected, TV is still going to hang around to provide individual attentionthat Calvado will have a hard time providing as he will need to split himself between starters Whitner and Simpson and still train Youbouty in case we do not cut a deal with Clments.

I think a key for Simpson will be to have someone not only do the teaching of how pros review and use game tapes of their likely opponents to prepare, but also to review the tapes of Simpson's work to identify issues for him to work on and also anticipate how opposing OCs and opponents will try to exploit him.

I am certainly happy to admit that my concerns about Simpson starting immediately have proven to be ill-founded because Simpson has shown himself to be a contributor right off the bat.

I do forgive myself this faux pas though because it certainly was not as dumb as those who argued that TV should be cut as there was no real cap advantage, , clarity as to how his team leading turnover totals would be replaced, and clearly he, the rookies and the Bills see the value he brings as a psuedo-coach to the players.

There were those who were happy to take the risk of going with every rookie because they cared more about developing for the future than the attitude of Ralph, Marv and folks who want to win now that this year may not go well but we have to give ourselves the best chance we could to win.

I'm happy to admit I seem to be wrong about my concern about a second day pick not being able to contribute immediately as a starter, i hope that others who did not argue mainly that Simpson was gonna be be good but that TV should be cut were also wrong in this prediction and actually wrong in their thinking on this issue.