Another (Potentially) Colossal Mistake By The Refs

First, they blow the sideline call on Donte's interception last week (granted, it would have come back anyway, but for professional refs to blow potentially game changing plays like that is INEXCUSABLE).

This week, they completely botch the call on Roscoe's TD. Not only did Reed not engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball, but as Kelso noted on the broadcast, there is NO PASS INTERFERENCE on passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Again, it likely will not effect the outcome of the game at all, but it is inexcusable for professional refs to blow these calls.

[/rant]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, they blow the sideline call on Donte's interception last week (granted, it would have come back anyway, but for professional refs to blow potentially game changing plays like that is INEXCUSABLE).

This week, they completely botch the call on Roscoe's TD.  Not only did Reed not engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball, but as Kelso noted on the broadcast, there is NO PASS INTERFERENCE on passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Again, it likely will not effect the outcome of the game at all, but it is inexcusable for professional refs to blow these calls.

[/rant]

776171[/snapback]

CBS didn't criticize the call at all but I was wondering myself because I'm sure I've seen blocking on swing passes and the like.

This week, they completely botch the call on Roscoe's TD.  Not only did Reed not engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball, but as Kelso noted on the broadcast, there is NO PASS INTERFERENCE on passes behind the line of scrimmage.

[/rant]

776171[/snapback]

I'll will have to say I was shocked by the clean crisp calling of the refs today. The conspiracy must be for New England only. LOL

Some points:

Nobody will question Marv Levy's draft no longer. I just wonder if anybody is going to take back what they said...Peter King??

Bills run defense much better this week...already Bills made an adjustment from last week they didn't make all last year.

JP was efficient. 90.9 QB rating. Unspectacular but no turnovers. Quiet confident steadily building up.

Dick Jauron has a plan for this team and you can see his defensive knowledge and gameplanning has a big influence on this team.

The safeties are sick. I see why Vincent was released. TKO should apologize to the franchise.

Larry Triplett looks great and the Bills pash rush looks sweet.

Bills showed Mularkey what a meathead he is. How sweet!

Angelo Crowell has already made more plays this year than Posey made in three years.

Bills receivers are dangerous even if they didn't do a whole lot today. Their speed threat helps the running game.

Willis ran hard today.

Wait till TKO comes back.

We should be ranked in the top 12. Let's see how the media treats this.

Miami and Culpepper is overrated as I have always stated. We have better personnel. I wonder if they will still get ranked ahead of us.

Dude, it was pass interference regardless of what Kelso said. The offense isn't allowed to engage the defensive player until the ball is caught (or before the ball is thrown). You can't block someone while the ball is in the air; as soon as the ball is in the air, no blocking is allowed.

CW

Dude, it was pass interference regardless of what Kelso said.  The offense isn't allowed to engage the defensive player until the ball is caught (or before the ball is thrown).  You can't block someone while the ball is in the air; as soon as the ball is in the air, no blocking is allowed.

CW

776361[/snapback]

Then why when Shula was coaching the Felons did TWO of our DBs get called for PI in the endzone when a Dieami receiver ran INTO them in the end zone. First and Goal Dieami.

Then why when Shula was coaching the Felons did TWO of our DBs get called for PI in the endzone when a Dieami receiver ran INTO them in the end zone. First and Goal Dieami.

776378[/snapback]

I have no idea what game you're talking about so have no idea.

But that was what, 15-20 years ago? And people say I don't let things go? :unsure:

Dude, it was pass interference regardless of what Kelso said.  The offense isn't allowed to engage the defensive player until the ball is caught (or before the ball is thrown).  You can't block someone while the ball is in the air; as soon as the ball is in the air, no blocking is allowed.

CW

776361[/snapback]

If Bledsoe threw it it wouldn't have been pass interference.

CW

776361[/snapback]

I disagree, Fezmid. Note 4 to the Pass Interference rule in the NFL rulebook states there can be no pass interference AT OR BEHIND the line of scrimmage. Was Reed a yard downfield? Perhaps... but on those WR screens EVERYONE blocks the d-back at the line. Horrible call.

Second, Reed DID NOT engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball. He was up on his man, yes. But on the replay, you could see Parish catch and start to move upfield as Reed's hands are engaging the defender. Either way you slice it, it was a bad call.

But then again, who cares?!? A "W" is a "W," baby!

:unsure:

Yeah, it was the right call.  Reed engaged the defender before the pass got to Parrish, and it wasn't a backwards pass in any case.  They also blew the fumble on Welker in the first half, but it was successfully challenged by the Dols.

776430[/snapback]

I'm not 100% sure it wasn't a fumble. It probably wasn't but there was no camera angle that showed if the ball was getting loose before his back hit the ground. I was hoping maybe the ref who was right there saw something I didn't. The replays definitely made it look like he was down.

I disagree, Fezmid.  Note 4 to the Pass Interference rule in the NFL rulebook states there can be no pass interference AT OR BEHIND the line of scrimmage.  Was Reed a yard downfield?  Perhaps... but on those WR screens EVERYONE blocks the d-back at the line.  Horrible call.

Second, Reed DID NOT engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball.  He was up on his man, yes.  But on the replay, you could see Parish catch and start to move upfield as Reed's hands are engaging the defender.  Either way you slice it, it was a bad call.

776441[/snapback]

Reed was on the 17, the LOS was the 15.

He obviously DID engage the defensive player before the ball was caught - it wasn't even close. You're wearing your homer glasses if you can't tell; Reed's hands were in front of him and pushing the defender while the ball was in the air. That's engaging. He did sometihng similar against Pittsburgh a couple years ago that also cancelled a touchdown and a probable playoff berth.

Sorry guys, but the refs aren't out to get us every single week (only against the Patriots, apparantly).

I also like how nobody seems to think that the JPL fumble (that was blown dead due to forward progress) was a case of the refs trying to screw the Dolphins. (again, it was a good call to protect the QB, very common, and the ref started to blow the whistle right before the fumble).

CW

[/rant]

776171[/snapback]

I disagree with you, from the replay it looked like he blocked the guy a few micro seconds prior to the caught. Call was so close it could have gone either way.

I didn't think it was close, in terms of when he engaged the defender and that it was beyond the LOS.  I was more pissed about the block in the back on Welker's long KO return earlier.

776474[/snapback]

I noticed that too! The KO return right after we went up 16-0 where he ran it to around the 35. That was really blatant.

He obviously DID engage the defensive player before the ball was caught - it wasn't even close.  You're wearing your homer glasses if you can't tell; Reed's hands were in front of him and pushing the defender while the ball was in the air.  That's engaging.  He did sometihng similar against Pittsburgh a couple years ago that also cancelled a touchdown and a probable playoff berth.

Sorry guys, but the refs aren't out to get us every single week (only against the Patriots, apparantly).

I also like how nobody seems to think that the JPL fumble (that was blown dead due to forward progress) was a case of the refs trying to screw the Dolphins.  (again, it was a good call to protect the QB, very common, and the ref started to blow the whistle right before the fumble).

CW

776460[/snapback]

exactly, not to mention that reed then held the man and took him to the ground, good call.

He obviously DID engage the defensive player before the ball was caught - it wasn't even close.  You're wearing your homer glasses if you can't tell; Reed's hands were in front of him and pushing the defender while the ball was in the air.  That's engaging.  He did sometihng similar against Pittsburgh a couple years ago that also cancelled a touchdown and a probable playoff berth.

I also like how nobody seems to think that the JPL fumble (that was blown dead due to forward progress) was a case of the refs trying to screw the Dolphins.  (again, it was a good call to protect the QB, very common, and the ref started to blow the whistle right before the fumble).

CW

776460[/snapback]

If your interpretation is correct then it was the right cll. Very close. These calls always seem to go against us. Next time we need to rebound from the penealty and score anyway. That is the mark of a mature team.