The Whitner Pick vs. NE

Has the NFL offered up any explanation as to why the whistle was blown on Donte's pick and subsequent TD run last week? I understand it would have been called back anyway due to the alleged "block in the back" by Nate, but the replay clearly showed Donte was no less than a yard from the sideline when the whistle blew.

If its as simple as "the ref blew it," fine. But an explanation would be nice.

(Of course, that may be asking too much of the holier-than-thou NFL.)

Has the NFL offered up any explanation as to why the whistle was blown on Donte's pick and subsequent TD run last week?  I understand it would have been called back anyway due to the alleged "block in the back" by Nate, but the replay clearly showed Donte was no less than a yard from the sideline when the whistle blew.

If its as simple as "the ref blew it," fine.  But an explanation would be nice.

(Of course, that may be asking too much of the holier-than-thou NFL.)

775500[/snapback]

I think there is probably some reluctancy to do it as unlike the Oak game where the NFL apologized, its a marquee team that is marketed that benefited from the mistakes.

The Whitner call also had no specific game effect because of the arguably reasonable but pitty-pat call on the Bills.

The mistake of the inadvertant whistle was due to a change in operating method by the nFL and such mistakes happen in the first game after a change so the NFL will deal with it in a corrective rather than punitive method.

Finally, given the gross disparity in the calls against the Bills and against NE, to open up this question opens up the debate on how much that disparity was because of youth/experience and how much was poor work (my guess is the answer is both).

It would be nice if the gross error was acknowledged, but my guess is if this happens it will be done quietly.

I think there is probably some reluctancy to do it as unlike the Oak game where the NFL apologized, its a marquee team that is marketed that benefited from the mistakes. 

The Whitner call also had no specific game effect because of the arguably reasonable but pitty-pat call on the Bills.

The mistake of the inadvertant whistle was due to a change in operating method by the nFL and such mistakes happen in the first game after a change so the NFL will deal with it in a corrective rather than punitive method.

Finally, given the gross disparity in the calls against the Bills and against NE, to open up this question opens up the debate on how much that disparity was because of youth/experience and how much was poor work (my guess is the answer is both).

It would be nice if the gross error was acknowledged, but my guess is if this happens it will be done quietly.

775511[/snapback]

You're right, and I'm sure it will be handled quietly between the league and the team, but these things have a way of leaking out. Hope we'll hear about it...

This episode (and the blown call on Roscoe's TD today) once again shows the perils of making the refs beyond reproach and removing all accountability from their position.