SHOCK! MUSLIMs OUTRAGED!

pdh1

Good question.  Was Mohammed, in fact, Muslim? 

Was Jesus, for that matter, Christian?  :blush:

786165[/snapback]

I don't know, I guess that's dependant upon how you define things.

As I recall, jesus saw himself as a jew, but a bit of a reformist one at that (which is also up for debate, but that's for another thread).

You could make the argument that he was the first christian, but it wasn't as though he refered to himself as such. But his actions and speech did define what we know as modern christianity.

Which brings me back to my long standing question:

Was mohammed violent?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, I guess that's dependant upon how you define things.

As I recall, jesus saw himself as a jew, but a bit of a reformist one at that (which is also up for debate, but that's for another thread).

You could make the argument that he was the first christian, but it wasn't as though he refered to himself as such. But his actions and speech did define what we know as modern christianity.

Which brings me back to my long standing question:

Was mohammed violent?

786181[/snapback]

Yes and no. PBS has an article putting his actions in a historic context, which is essential when debating this question:

http://www.pbs.org/muhammad/ma_violence.shtml

Yes and no.  PBS has an article putting his actions in a historic context, which is essential when debating this question:

http://www.pbs.org/muhammad/ma_violence.shtml

786202[/snapback]

Good little article.

It scratches the surface of the contradictions found in the koran, but doesn't go very deep. As mohhameds life changed, so did his preachings. They weren't very consistant at times. And he also wasn't exceptionaly good at practicing what he preached either. That's why I find the whole thing pretty dubious.

Good little article.

It scratches the surface of the contradictions found in the koran, but doesn't go very deep. As mohhameds life changed, so did his preachings. They weren't very consistant at times. And he also wasn't exceptionaly good at practicing what he preached either. That's why I find the whole thing pretty dubious.

786272[/snapback]

Have you ever read the Koran, even an English translation?

More from the same place.

787823[/snapback]

That's a pretty decent site. The few transcripts I browsed illustrated pretty clearly the difference between Muslims who practice their religion and extremists who manipulate others with it.

Of course, if you just read the headlines, your opinion will be "IslamBad! " (I assume you have this trademarked by now, yall). The actual transcripts, though, are pretty informative.

Save the ones from the Iranians. Those are just funny. Tom and Jerry rehabilitating the Jew... ;)

Good little article.

786272[/snapback]

Erm, dude, like others have suggested, read the Koran. When you put his actions into historical perspective with what the Koran says, it actually makes sense as to why he did what he did.

Growing up, I attended a church who was insistent in putting the Bible's passages into historical context. And for good reason - even if it is the word of Allah, or Jesus, or God, its still effected by biases of the people who recorded it (and, not to mention, translations, thats another thing).

Muhammad was, after all, just a human, subject to every single weakness that humans have. Yeah, he was the greatest prophet ever according to Islam, but he was STILL a human.

If you expect a human to be perfect, you're joking yourself. Tis one of the many problems I have with Christianity, but alas, lets not go there at this point in time.