What happened to cap money?

oregonbbfan

In one sense, yes, it means Ralph is getting richer, because TV and other money is at whatever level it is, and the cap is calculated as a percentage of those dollars... But that is not to say that there is $8 million sitting in a vault somewhere labeled "Bills cap money" gathering dust. Since the cap is based on averages over the length of contracts, it takes more than just citing the cap number to say how much money Ralph is paying out to players this year.

I will stop there, lest I confuse anyone (or myself) further...

774183[/snapback]

I don't think the money is labeled "Bills cap money", it's probably in bags that are off-white in color and there are just large dollar signs on them.

You can spend 125M on a 100M salaray cap and still be 20M under the cap depending on how the money is allocated (signing bonus, etc...). The Bills have spent more money than the cap, but have 8M (maybe a bit less) under the cap. This allows them room to obtain someone in case of injuries etc... However, a player who is not on a roster right now is not going to be Bruce Smith for you--there is a reason some guys are not playing right now. The Pats are under the cap as much if not more than the Bills.

after all the extensions are sorted (if anymore are handed out this year), all remaining cap dollars are put in "likely to be earned incentives" (LTBE) expect for maybe a million for injury insurance..........this is a common practice by most NFL clubs now, first popularized by the eagles.........the name is deceiving, as the incentives are usually quite silly (10TD's received - by the punter) and when they go unearned the NFL dolls out cap credits for the next year (usually in february)........

of course, if incentives are earned in realistic contracts, that number comes off the credit and if enough are earned a team will have a debit on their next year's cap......