Music Lyrics...genius or meaningless?

ajzepp

Well done, sir.  The beauty part is it's a breezy upbeat 50's- 60's tune.

Now we make it a little more difficult:

Blues Beach

I was scrapin' bottom

Gropin' in the dark

Extra Credit:  What the hell is a "paranymphic glider"?

773357[/snapback]

The whole thing has a "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" feel, but drug angle just seems too easy. I'm having trouble reading between those lines. Sounds apocalyptic.

Anyhoo, on the paranymphic glider? Seems born out of the junk sculpture I mentioned earlier. Can't you see Fagan pound out.. "We could take a swig of cider... no... We could set up a divider.. crap... We could rent a paranymphic glider... yeah that's it."

Imaginary conveyance to take you away from all of this.

How about this one from the Cure:

oh it's opening time

down on fascination street

so let's cut the conversation

and get out for a bit

because i feel it all fading and paling

and i'm begging

to drag you down with me

to kick the last nail in

yeah! i like you in that

like i like you to scream

but if you open your mouth

then i can't be responsible

for quite what goes in

or to care what comes out

so just pull on your hair

just pull on your pout

and let's move to the beat

like we know that it's over

if you slip going under

slip over my shoulder

so just pull on your face

just pull on your feet

and let's hit opening time

so pull on your hair

pull on your pout

cut the conversation

just open your mouth

pull on your face

pull on your feet

and let's hit opening time

Yeah baby!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used this example before since it's a song that pretty much nobody knows, but I think it's very pertinent to this discussion....

The song "Jordan" by Five For Fighting is a perfect example of the kind of song I feel is brilliant. Contrary to popular belief, it has next to nothing to do with Michael Jordan. The song begins with the main character thinking about how great it would be to be MJ. The tempo and intensity of the music is very slow and subtle to start. He slowly begins to become more and more psychotically obsessed with how badly he'd love to trade places with the guy, and the music completely conveys all the intensity of what he's feeling. The entire song - start to finish - is just awesome....

I'll also throw out "Hallelujah" since the Jeff Buckley version is arguably my favorite song of all time. When you break down the lyrics it becomes more clear that it's a REALLY deep love song. I forget who wrote it, but he uses a couple of biblical references to indicate that the love you have for a woman can throw you for such a loop that it's on par with or even greater than the love one would have for God Himself. It goes on to talk about how incredibly painful unrequited or failed love is, but how it's impossible to not seek it out again and begin all over.

My favorite part of the song is toward the end....

"Well maybe there´s a God above

But all I've ever learned from love

Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you"

Awesome song....these are two examples of music that I can really get into.

I'll also throw out "Hallelujah" since the Jeff Buckley version is arguably my favorite song of all time. When you break down the lyrics it becomes more clear that it's a REALLY deep love song. I forget who wrote it, but he uses a couple of biblical references to indicate that the love you have for a woman can throw you for such a loop that it's on par with or even greater than the love one would have for God Himself. It goes on to talk about how incredibly painful unrequited or failed love is, but how it's impossible to not seek it out again and begin all over.

My favorite part of the song is toward the end....

"Well maybe there´s a God above

But all I've ever learned from love

Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you"

Awesome song....these are two examples of music that I can really get into.

773436[/snapback]

"Hallelujah" was written by Leonard Cohen. I had never heard it before Buckley's version was featured in an episode of "The West Wing". It's at the top of my pile of sheet music I've been working on (along with Five for Fighting's "100 Years".) The song is about a woman's "O", according to the author.

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Been there, done that. :D

"Hallelujah" was written by Leonard Cohen.  I had never heard it before Buckley's version was featured in an episode of "The West Wing".  It's at the top of my pile of sheet music I've been working on (along with Five for Fighting's "100 Years".)  The song is about a woman's "O", according to the author.

Been there, done that.  :D

773454[/snapback]

:blush::flirt:

I nominate Solsbury Hills....

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/petergabrie...lsburyhill.html

I have no idea what this song is about, but it was pretty damn popular back in da day.

773440[/snapback]

It's about following your heart. In Gabriel's case, it was about leaving Genesis to follow his own song-writing.

My heart going boom boom boom, Hey, I said, you can keep my things they've come to take me home.

"They" are the fates that are leading him in the right direction.

Of course, I just might be full of it. :D

I'm sure there's meaning here, but I never took the time to figure it out:

Bring tea for the tillerman

Steak for the sun

Wine for the women who made the rain come

Seagulls sing your hearts away

cause while the sinners sin, the children play

Oh lord how they play and play

For that happy day, for that happy day

I think all lyrics by the group "The Presidents of the USA" are meaningless ramblings.    But they are the funnyest songs to listen to.  :doh:

773501[/snapback]

Are they the guys that did "Peaches"? Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches. Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches... Greatest music video ever. ;)

Are they the guys that did "Peaches"?  Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.  Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches...  Greatest music video ever.  :doh:

773530[/snapback]

Yep, that's them! I only have this CD of theirs but it's made up of a bunch of silly songs. I'm still trying to figure out what "Body" is about. ;)

Yep, that's them!  I only have this CD of theirs but it's made up of a bunch of silly songs.  I'm still trying to figure out what "Body" is about.  :doh:

773535[/snapback]

http://www.singingfool.com/musicvideo.asp?...shedid=00205093

Millions of peaches. Peaches for me...

Millions of peaches. Peaches for free...

Millions of peaches. Peaches for me...

Millions of peaches. Peaches for free...

LOOK OUT!

And then they fight ninjas. Why are they fighting ninjas? Great music video... ;)

http://www.singingfool.com/musicvideo.asp?...shedid=00205093

Millions of peaches.  Peaches for me...

Millions of peaches.  Peaches for free...

Millions of peaches.  Peaches for me...

Millions of peaches.  Peaches for free...

LOOK OUT!

And then they fight ninjas.  Why are they fighting ninjas?  Great music video...  :doh:

773553[/snapback]

Oh wow! I haven't seen that video in a while. Too funny!! ;):lol:

So it is the mystery then ? Genius resides in the search for meaning ?

Is that why I dismissed rap upon hearing over a decade ago,

" Come on foxy momma, do as I please,

Nibble on my ...., like a rat does cheese".

Or has rap embraced the metaphor over those many years ?

Even the generally acknowledged worst song in the English language (Stompin' Tom Connor's "The Snowmobile Song") can be accessed on a number of levels,

"It's Wintertime and the weather's fine

The snow on the woods and fields when I reveal... my snowmobile".

An ode to much misunderstood recreation or an old dude singing about his hog, who can tell...

If You Need It

Good God, what time is it...

Ok.

1) "Per say"?  You are quarreling with people about language and messing this one up?

2) I can't listen to the Roots or Public Enemy and say there is no logic or meaning behind it -- both of these artists contain depths of each.  And even Missy Elliott has some meaning -- that meaning might be "move your ass" but it's still a meaning.  She has some pretty creative usages of language, even if they are ultimately just the dressing for a spare beat that's supposed to make you dance.

773320[/snapback]

Now, now, i am an advocate for rap music and i am an avid fan of the Notorious BIG, Big L, Dr Dre, and other of the sort.

Now was i saying that there is no meaning in all rap songs, no i don't believe that. "Everyday Struggle" by the Notorious BIG is one of those songs that captures a scene and the feelings of the people in that particular scene. Rap music is the new age poetry for youth all over the country and it is spreading into other countries as well. I think it is just a matter of time before they start integrating both poetry and rap music in school.

Pure genius...

I was born in the backwoods

Of a two-bit nowhere town

Fathered up some rock 'n' roll (baby)

So you muthers could boogie down

I ain't whistling dixie

No I'm a rebel with a groove

All around the world the ygo 'round and 'round

When they dig on my new stainless steel sound

I'm a lumberjack baby

I'm gonna cut you down to size

I'm a lumberjack baby

And you're the one that gets my prize

And when you hear my motor running

You know I surely be coppin' a rise

So I'm gonna crank it up and cut it down

I'm a lumberjack baby

I'm a lumberjack now baby

I'm a lumberjack baby

I'm a lumberjack baby

But I ain't jacked my lumber baby

Since my chain saw you

Steven Tyler has stated that he got the hook for "Walk This Way" after watching Young Frankenstein one evening. They had the melody, but couldn't tink of words for the riff. Marty Feldman (Igor) says "Walk this way."

This is probably one of my favorites for lyrics. It kind of meets my criteria -- it could be very plain to the listener but it also has a lot of depth, imagery, and poetry to it:

This flower is scorched

This film is on

On a maddening loop

These clothes

These clothes don't fit us right

I'm to blame

It's all the same

It's all the same

You come to me with a bone in your hand

You come to me with your hair curled tight

You come to me with positions

You come to me with excuses

Ducked out in a row

You wear me out

You wear me out

We've been through fake-a-breakdown

Self hurt

Plastics, collections

Self help, self pain,

EST, psychics, !@#$ all

I was central

I had control

I lost my head

I need this

I need this

A paper weight, junk garage

Winter rain, a honey pot

Crazy, all the lovers have been tagged

A hotline, a wanted ad

It's crazy what you could've had

I need

I need this

I like the version in the movie "Shrek" the best.

"Hallelujah" was written by Leonard Cohen.  I had never heard it before Buckley's version was featured in an episode of "The West Wing".  It's at the top of my pile of sheet music I've been working on (along with Five for Fighting's "100 Years".)  The song is about a woman's "O", according to the author.

Been there, done that.  :o

773454[/snapback]