Music Lyrics...genius or meaningless?

ajzepp

You know when you come across a song that you really dig, but when you go to read the lyrics they are so abstract that they seem to make no sense whatsoever? I remember watching the Metallica flick last year and saw how they often created instrumental music first, and then put lyrics to the music. Other times it seems like lyrics are written and music is composed to fit them.

Now I know there are some GREAT bands out there and throughout history. I'm listening to one of my favorites right now - Radiohead. But I just wonder how often words and phrases are strung together just because they sound cool, rhyme, etc, as opposed to having true meaning to the artist.

You could make a similar argument for most kinds of "art", but I find it particularly interesting with music. How often do you think lyrics that are considered "genius" are nothing more than arbitrary lines of text that happen to "fit" the song?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know when you come across a song that you really dig, but when you go to read the lyrics they are so abstract that they seem to make no sense whatsoever? I remember watching the Metallica flick last year and saw how they often created instrumental music first, and then put lyrics to the music. Other times it seems like lyrics are written and music is composed to fit them.

Now I know there are some GREAT bands out there and throughout history. I'm listening to one of my favorites right now - Radiohead. But I just wonder how often words and phrases are strung together just because they sound cool, rhyme, etc, as opposed to having true meaning to the artist.

You could make a similar argument for most kinds of "art", but I find it particularly interesting with music. How often do you think lyrics that are considered "genius" are nothing more than arbitrary lines of text that happen to "fit" the song?

773049[/snapback]

I remember Don Henley saying that "Hotel California" sounds like it's about the occult, but in reality he simply strung together whatever sounded cool. He called it "junk sculpture".

I remember Don Henley saying that "Hotel California" sounds like it's about the occult, but in reality he simply strung together whatever sounded cool.  He called it "junk sculpture".

773093[/snapback]

No kidding? Well I respect him for being able to admit it. I remember back in the early 90's when GnR's 'Use Your Illusion' albums came out....there were a few songs where the band was coming off like they were really deep and meaningful, yet when asked about the meaning they never really seemed to be able to articulate it. I love GnR, and I love both those albums, but I also don't really want to waste time pondering lyrics when there was no meaning behind them to begin with, lol.

On the other hand, I had recently mentioned that my favorite elton john song was "empty garden", though it had been a long while since I'd heard it since I couldn't find the damn thing anywhere. The Dean posted an article about how the song was elton's tribute to John Lennon after he was killed.....I had no idea, but when you go back and read the lyrics/listen to the song in that context it becomes even more meaningful.

It's just sometimes you'll read some lyrics from a song and be lke, "wtf???"

A lot of times songs foreshadow future events.  That is eery to me.

Angry American by Toby Keith and 9/11 for example

773136[/snapback]

You're slipping crayonz. It was Keith Urban, and he was only singing about the predictions laid out by the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

That's why rap is so popular.  You every try to find a deeper meaning to "Gin 'n Juice"?  Me neither.

773116[/snapback]

There is no logic or meaning behind rap music per say. It mainly consists of slang that was fit with the english language to make a rhyming verse.

Bottom line: If you can't think of anything that rhymes, make up a word.

You tell me. What's THIS song about?:

CHAIN LIGHTNING (Steely Dan, of course)

Some turnout, a hundred grand

Get with it we'll shake his hand

Don't bother to understand

Don't question the little man

Be part of the brotherhood

Yes it's chain lightning

It feels so good

Hush brother, we cross the square

Act natural like you don't care

Turn slowly and comb your hair

Don't trouble the midnight air

We're standing just where he stood

It was chain lightning

It feels so good

That's why rap is so popular.  You every try to find a deeper meaning to "Gin 'n Juice"?  Me neither.

773116[/snapback]

If you can't find a deep meaning to lyrics such as

Eighty degrees, when I tell that bi*ch please

Raise up off these N-U-T's, cause you gets none of these

At ease, as I mob with the Dogg Pound, feel the breeze

Then Hops, you're no music fan.

Both. Meaning is something you determine as a listener. Genius? That's societally determined. It's the beautiful thing about the written word. For me, genius really lies in how many meanings can be gotten from a song and how a writer avoids common turns of verse to spin a narrative that's something his/her own.

There is no logic or meaning behind rap music per say.

773164[/snapback]

Ok.

1) "Per say"? You are quarreling with people about language and messing this one up?

2) I can't listen to the Roots or Public Enemy and say there is no logic or meaning behind it -- both of these artists contain depths of each. And even Missy Elliott has some meaning -- that meaning might be "move your ass" but it's still a meaning. She has some pretty creative usages of language, even if they are ultimately just the dressing for a spare beat that's supposed to make you dance.

There is no logic or meaning behind rap music per say. It mainly consists of slang that was fit with the english language to make a rhyming verse.

Bottom line: If you can't think of anything that rhymes, make up a word.

773164[/snapback]

wu tang baby, wu tang

Both.  Meaning is something you determine as a listener.  Genius?  That's societally determined.  It's the beautiful thing about the written word.  For me, genius really lies in how many meanings can be gotten from a song and how a writer avoids common turns of verse to spin a narrative that's something his/her own.

773317[/snapback]

See I go back and forth about that. I typically expect "art" to have some sort of inspiration behind it. If there ISN'T any, and all they did was find a catchy hook and then add a bunch of filler phrases that rhyme, it's not the same to me. I can still enjoy it as a catchy, mindless song, but it's not the same to me as a piece of music that someone felt truly inspired to write. I don't care WHAT the inspiration was, I just like to know it was there.

But I also agree with you that when you can take something from the music/art that speaks to you in a particular way, even if it's got nothing in common with what the artist meant, I think that's cool too. I think what I'm ultmately bothered by are bands/singers that claim to be knee deep in all this inspiration when their "making their music, man", yet when all is said and done it was put together more like a car than any sort of meaningful expression.

If you can't find a deep meaning to lyrics such as

Eighty degrees, when I tell that bi*ch please

Raise up off these N-U-T's, cause you gets none of these

At ease, as I mob with the Dogg Pound, feel the breeze

Then Hops, you're no music fan.

773305[/snapback]

Don't truncate my superlative. :flirt: I can find deep meaning in rap. I just can't find anything deeper. It's all right there on the surface. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's the best recipe when playing to the lowest common denominator. :D

BTW, I probably listen to the Gourd's version more often that Snoop's anymore.

It's all good. I ain't no music snob. Heck, just getting the I, IV, V chords worked out on all the major scales is perplexing enough for me.

You tell me.  What's THIS song about?:

CHAIN LIGHTNING (Steely Dan, of course)

Some turnout, a hundred grand

Get with it we'll shake his hand

Don't bother to understand

Don't question the little man

Be part of the brotherhood

Yes it's chain lightning

It feels so good

Hush brother, we cross the square

Act natural like you don't care

Turn slowly and comb your hair

Don't trouble the midnight air

We're standing just where he stood

It was chain lightning

It feels so good

773273[/snapback]

Ummm, a Nazi Youth rally? :D

Ummm, a Nazi Youth rally?  :D

773348[/snapback]

Well done, sir. The beauty part is it's a breezy upbeat 50's- 60's tune.

Now we make it a little more difficult:

Blues Beach

I was scrapin' bottom

Gropin' in the dark

It takes a crusty punk to really beat

The mean streets of Medicine Park

So I shifted left for out of town

Then I clicked my heels and I doubled down to

Blues Beach

I'm frying

Sizzlin' in the merciful rays

And it's the long sad Sunday

Of the early resigned

I went to Central Station

To catch that early bus

They were gassed and runnin' every which way

But unhappily not for us

Here comes Trina -- the child bride

I said hey pretty girl -- can I cop a ride to

Blues Beach

It's rainin'

I'm chillin' at the Manatee Bar

Well it's a stone soul picnic

For the early resigned

We could rent a paranymphic glider

My hypothetical friend

And we could sail

'Til the bending end

Grab Big Dog a blanket

Angel of my heart

Things may get a whole lot worse

Before suddenly falling apart

Give your roommate Yvonne a ring

Cause if she still wants in I gotta pull some strings

On Blues Beach

I'm dying

Freezin' in the merciful rays

And it's the long sad Sunday

Of the early resigned

Extra Credit: What the hell is a "paranymphic glider"?

You're slipping crayonz.  It was Keith Urban, and he was only singing about the predictions laid out by the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

773153[/snapback]

No. It was Toby Keith.

Why would Keith Urban care about 9/11 anyway? He's Austrian and married to Katherine Zeta-Holmes. He probably doesn't have a lot of spare time.

And Notre Dame is in Iowa or somewhere in the midwest so how would an Austrian know anything about it?

:D