Explanation of Vincent on MINOR IR

theesir

Hub Arcush from Pro Football Weekly was on WGR550 to explaing the fact that Vincent was placed on Minor IR.

It means that he must be waived as soon as he is healthy and NO MORE than 6 weeks after the injury occured.

He can then sign be claimed by any other team in the league. If he is not claimed he becomes a free agent and can sign with any team in the league including the Bills.

I can not see him clearing wavers.

Hub Arcush from Pro Football Talk.com was on WGR550 to explaing the fact that Vincent was placed on Minor IR.

It means that he must be waived as soon as he is healthy and NO MORE than 6 weeks after the injury occured.

He can then sign be claimed by any other team in the league. If he is not claimed he becomes a free agent and can sign with any team in the league including the Bills.

772189[/snapback]

Minor IR? - never heard of that - is it like double secret probation or something?

Hub Arcush from Pro Football Talk.com was on WGR550 to explaing the fact that Vincent was placed on Minor IR.

772189[/snapback]

Er - that's Pro Football Weekly, correct?

But if they would have gone the waived/injured route, if I recall the Christie situation correctly, they could re-sign him after week 10. Sounds like they've already made the decision to move forward without him... which isn't really a surprise, I guess.

As for clearing waivers, that depends on whether the team claiming him would be obligated to pick up the rest of his current contract. Not sure how that works. If so, unless some team suddenly becomes desperate for a 35-year-old DB, everyone might just decide to sit back and wait for him to clear.

Er - that's Pro Football Weekly, correct?

But if they would have gone the waived/injured route, if I recall the Christie situation correctly, they could re-sign him after week 10. Sounds like they've already made the decision to move forward without him... which isn't really a surprise, I guess.

As for clearing waivers, that depends on whether the team claiming him would be obligated to pick up the rest of his current contract. Not sure how that works. If so, unless some team suddenly becomes desperate for a 35-year-old DB, everyone might just decide to sit back and wait for him to clear.

772217[/snapback]

Mike Florio (whom I know everyone hates, but hear me out) is speculating that the Steelers would be a team in the market for a guy like Vincent, and he would likely be happy to sign with a team that has a chance to go to the Super Bowl, and play for a lot less.

As Florio pointed out, it sounds like Troy Vincent agreed to this injury/settlement (what Florio says the "Minor IR" is) so that he could return to play somewhere this year. The Bills are off the hook for his salary, and he gets one last chance (he hopes) to play for a ring. The Bills didn't want to cut him out-right for the financial hit they would take, their only other option, if TV didn't agree to an injury settlement, would have been to put him on IR, end his season, and cut him after this season. The Bills would then have had to pay him his full salary...

As Florio pointed out, it sounds like Troy Vincent agreed to this injury/settlement (what Florio says the "Minor IR" is) so that he could return to play somewhere this year.  The Bills are off the hook for his salary, and he gets one last chance (he hopes) to play for a ring.  The Bills didn't want to cut him out-right for the financial hit they would take...

772249[/snapback]

Absolute win-win situation. Vincent wants not only to play, but play well. He will probably get into someone else's system long before the six weeks is up. It is no problem, financial or otherwise, to accommodate him.

If that's the case - 'mentoring' aside - do the Bills really want him hanging around then for the rest of his time here. Just more familiarity w/ the defense/team to bring to a potential rival (don't think the Dolfags could use some help in their secondary? - another sponge for 'the genius' to wring out then throw away?)

I thought Vincent and Wire should have been cut in the last roster reduction. One down, one to go. Figure Bowen is healthy enough to play or will the Bills scan the waiver wires for another Safety? Will they bring Mark Kelso out of the booth? I am not at all disappointed by this development.