Okay who was the Free Safety yesterday?

VABills

I always thought that free safety was the deep cover guy. Everyone here was blaming Wire for missing coverage. I think Wire was in the area and was making some of those tackles, but I thought Reese as the FS was responsible and hence should take the blame for all those 3rd and long pass completions. It's not like the TE or RB's were getting those passes and that would be the SS fault.

It's difficult to tell without having their playbook to know what their coverage responsibilities are on each play. In theory, the FS is the deep cover guy, but there are times where a scheme will have the FS blitzing, doubling up on either the wide or the slot receiver, or put him in man to man coverage.

It's difficult to tell without having their playbook to know what their coverage responsibilities are on each play.  In theory, the FS is the deep cover guy, but there are times where a scheme will have the FS blitzing, doubling up on either the wide or the slot receiver, or put him in man to man coverage.

55613[/snapback]

Rich, I know that and as you point out from play to play it may change. But the point I was making was everyone here seems to say Wire sucks, and he may. But, just because he reacted to the deep play and was in on the tackle doesn't make it his responsibility. It could have been Reese, or hell even a linebacker dropping off who was out of position.

I think that at least one or two of the plays in question were in Cover 2, which my understanding is that the safeties both play deep and are responsible for their respective sides of the field. So, if the QB threw to the strong side, then the SS theorectically had deep coverage.

But your question is still valid because I don't really even remember Reese's name being mentioned.

I think that at least one or two of the plays in question were in Cover 2, which my understanding is that the safeties both play deep and are responsible for their respective sides of the field. So, if the QB threw to the strong side, then the SS theorectically had deep coverage.

But your question is still valid because I don't really even remember Reese's name being mentioned.

55630[/snapback]

I asked because I remember watching Reese shake his head and hang it low on at least 2 long plays. Almost like he knew he screwed up.

Wire bit on the play action all day long. He'd get sucked up to stop the run and the WR would run right by him. After the 3rd time I though MM might say something to him. Our D-Line was stuffing the run. With the amount of blitzes we did, Wire should have known better then to get sucked up.

Rich, I know that and as you point out from play to play it may change.  But the point I was making was everyone here seems to say Wire sucks, and he may. But, just because he reacted to the deep play and was in on the tackle doesn't make it his responsibility.  It could have been Reese, or hell even a linebacker dropping off who was out of position.

55625[/snapback]

This is just an observation from me, so take it for what it's worth (probably nothing): what I see, usually, are times where Reese is slow to recognize and react to the play, much like Vincent. That means that although he knows where he should be, he won't get there in time to either come up with the turnover or to make a play on the ball to deflect it. With Wire, it appears that he simply is lost in coverage. I don't know if he really knows where he should be on certain plays. There are times when I look at the tape and he appears to be in, "Oops, I should be over here, so let me hightail it there!" mode. In run support, Wire is like many of the DBs on this team. They'd rather try to hit the guy down instead of making a fundamental tackle (McGee did that on numerous occasions yesterday). I don't know if it's just rust from not being out there often or what with Wire, but he doesn't look ready to play at times. Maybe that'll change soon. I sure hope it does.

I asked because I remember watching Reese shake his head and hang it low on at least 2 long plays.  Almost like he knew he screwed up.

55638[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a few players on injured reserve from shaking and hanging their head low so frequently. :lol: