Rick DiPietro signs 15 year contract

Ramius

DiPietro signed a 15 year 67.5 million dollar contract with the isles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2584306

Nothing like tying up 4.5 mil in cap room per season for the next 15 years. I guess when you really like a guy and he wants to be there, sign him. I think this will eventually come back to bite the isles in the ass.

The new owner of the Isles (Wang?(not kidding)) is nuts. He hired former/current goalie Garth Snow as his GM and his first big move is to tie up good, but still not battle tested goalie to a 15 year 67.5 million dollar contract.

I am under the impression that hockey contracts are GUARANTEED!!! so even if he gets let go in three years, the are responsible for the entire contract.

I think the contract Miller got is too much for his level of experience (I love him, but think he got too much for 1 great year), but this is flat our crazy. :D

The new owner of the Isles (Wang?(not kidding)) is nuts. He hired former/current goalie Garth Snow as his GM and his first big move is to tie up good, but still not battle tested goalie to a 15 year 67.5 million dollar contract.

I am under the impression that hockey contracts are GUARANTEED!!! so even if he gets let go in three years, the are responsible for the entire contract.

I think the contract Miller got is too much for his level of experience (I love him, but think he got too much for 1 great year), but this is flat our crazy. :D

770666[/snapback]

yes, hockey contracts are guaranteed. Not like the NFL where players will never see the inflated numbers. Rick will see all 67.5 mil of that deal. And DiPietro will stay on the cap unless he's traded. i think the reason they did it that way was so they could mess with the actual payouts per season, so he'll make roughly $4.65 this season and probably $15 million in his final season.

yes, hockey contracts are guaranteed. Not like the NFL where players will never see the inflated numbers. Rick will see all 67.5 mil of that deal.  And DiPietro will stay on the cap unless he's traded. i think the reason they did it that way was so they could mess with the actual payouts per season, so he'll make roughly $4.65 this season and probably $15 million in his final season.

770669[/snapback]

They're guaranteed, but only in the case of a playing related injury or old veterans are they guaranteed at 100%.

For most players in the league, the team is on the hook for 2/3 of the remaining salary. The team has to pay that out over twice the remaining years on the contract. The salary cap hit is essentially the same as the payment schedule.

According to TSN, the deal is for $4.5MM/year for each of the 15 years.

Also, the current CBA is supposed to expire by 2012, so how the contract gets handled after that remains to be seen.

770666[/snapback]

He's not really a new owner anymore. He's been around for 6 years and this isn't even close to being his first mistake. First the Yashin contract and now this. Don't throw any of the blame at Snow, he's just a puppet. Wang is running the show (a second ubsurdly longterm contract during his ownership is good evidence of that).

Does Dipieto have an agent, or a brain for that matter. I hope he turns into the second coming of Patrick Roy in the next 3 years. That way in 2009 when top goalies are making 9 million a year, the Isles can tell him to sit and spin....not to mention that in 10 years, a serviceable back up will probably have a 4 million dollar price tag.

They're guaranteed, but only in the case of a playing related injury or old veterans are they guaranteed at 100%. 

For most players in the league, the team is on the hook for 2/3 of the remaining salary.  The team has to pay that out over twice the remaining years on the contract.  The salary cap hit is essentially the same as the payment schedule.

According to TSN, the deal is for $4.5MM/year for each of the 15 years.

Also, the current CBA is supposed to expire by 2012, so how the contract gets handled after that remains to be seen.

770745[/snapback]

you;re right. i forgot about the 2/3 buyout option. :D

Buuuuut, the salary cap charge is determined by the average value of the contract. The player's actual salaries will vary from year to year. (increasing like football) Same cap hit every season, but the actual dollars the team pays to the player will increase with each season.

Does Dipieto have an agent, or a brain for that matter. I hope he turns into the second coming of Patrick Roy in the next 3 years. That way in 2009 when top goalies are making 9 million a year, the Isles can tell him to sit and spin....not to mention that in 10 years, a serviceable back up will probably have a 4 million dollar price tag.

770791[/snapback]

It's really not a bad deal for him. He's absolutely guaranteed over $40 million, which ain't bad scratch for playing a game. Sure, there's a chance he could get a max contract somewhere down the road, but there's also a chance he could either suck ass or get hurt. Sure things don't always suck.

Brodeur's contract is only $31.2 million for 6 years - not a whole lot more annually and he's light years ahead of Dippy in every facet of his career.

you;re right. i forgot about the 2/3 buyout option. :D

Buuuuut, the salary cap charge is determined by the average value of the contract. The player's actual salaries will vary from year to year. (increasing like football) Same cap hit every season, but the actual dollars the team pays to the player will increase with each season.

770804[/snapback]

Not according to the TSN article.

DiPietro is scheduled to receive $4.5 million in each season of the contract.

770791[/snapback]

Assuming the rules stay the same in the next CBA, let's say he plays 7 more years (he'll turn 32 before the following season) and then the Isles pull the plug.

He'll have made $31.5MM those 7 years and the Isles will be on the hook for an additional $24MM. Gives him an average salary just under $8MM for those 7 years. That's not too shabby. Plus, there is nothing preventing him from playing for another team after they decide that contract is too rich for his production at the time.

This kid has just guaranteed himself $45MM. He might have guaranteed himself $67.5MM. He will be just shy of his 40th birthday when this contract runs out. Considering there are elite players that won't ever come close to that kind of scratch due to injuries or what have you, I don't see how he couldn't jump at that.

Assuming the rules stay the same in the next CBA, let's say he plays 7 more years (he'll turn 32 before the following season) and then the Isles pull the plug.

He'll have made $31.5MM those 7 years and the Isles will be on the hook for an additional $24MM.  Gives him an average salary just under $8MM for those 7 years.  That's not too shabby.  Plus, there is nothing preventing him from playing for another team after they decide that contract is too rich for his production at the time.

This kid has just guaranteed himself $45MM.  He might have guaranteed himself $67.5MM.  He will be just shy of his 40th birthday when this contract runs out.  Considering there are elite players that won't ever come close to that kind of scratch due to injuries or what have you, I don't see how he couldn't jump at that.

770835[/snapback]

That and the fact that he doesn't have to do a damn thing and he still gets the money. What motivation does he have at this point? Sure, he might want to win the cup, but at the same time, the fact that he has $67 million to fall back on has to be very comforting. As long as he doesn't do anything to void that contract, he is more than set for life

770666[/snapback]

Since his current GM went from goalie to GM, maybe the last half of the contract makes him the GM :lol: