Need some analysis

Cal Bill's Fan

Someone who does better analysis of the game maybe you can help answer a few questions?

1. It looked like Mcgahee bounced less outside after he was hurt. He was slowed, for certain, but is that true?

2. Running to the right only worked when it bounced outside? Left side had the big holes?

2. On 1 of the sacks the pressure from right side was a missed block by the fullback. Who was in on that play and wiffed?

3. I recall 2 throws to Josh Reed on 3rd down where he was a yard or 2 short of the stick. Isn't that a pretty basic route, on 3rd make sure you have the distance?

4. Shobel got shut down in the 2nd half were they double teaming him or??

I know these concentrate on the bad. Overall the Bills kept me entertained, watching the game till the end. Losman lookecd pretty good. I have this nagging worry though that he is the second coming of Rob Johnson. When everything was going right (just like in practice) he looks great. When things fall apart he makes bad decisions (or freezes) . We'll see as the season goes on.

3 and 4.

On 4, yeah light was holding quite a bit especially in the second half. However as has been noted Schoebal was pass rushing only and was taking himself out of a lot of plays by rushing up field on nearly every play.

On 3, no Reed was not short. In fact he pretty much was responsible for some great catches and 2 of our 3 first downs on 3rd down.

Reed had a great game with some VERY tough catches. Not every WR goes beyond the markers on a third down. Many times WRs actually make plays after they make a catch. If you have 3rd and 10 it takes a long time for a route to develop so do you want every WR running 12 yards downfield? No! Correct route running and route spacing is a huge part of the passing game. Would you rather take a sack because you have to wait for a route to develop and end up losing 8 yards on a play or would you rather make a quick dump off pass on a blitz and let Parrish, et al make a play to get the first down? Many times the dump off pass is a better option than throwing into double coverage or taking a sack on 3rd and 10. That's why it is so important to get 3rd and short---it provides you so many more options.

Someone who does better analysis of the game maybe you can help answer a few questions?

1. It looked like Mcgahee bounced less outside after he was hurt. He was slowed, for certain, but is that true?

2. Running to the right only worked when it bounced outside? Left side had the big holes?

2. On 1 of the sacks the pressure from right side was a missed block by the fullback. Who was in on that play and wiffed?

3. I recall 2 throws to Josh Reed on 3rd down where he was a yard or 2 short of the stick. Isn't that a pretty basic route, on 3rd make sure you have the distance?

4. Shobel got shut down in the 2nd half were they double teaming him or??

I know these concentrate on the bad. Overall the Bills kept me entertained, watching the game till the end.  Losman lookecd pretty good. I have this nagging worry though that he is the second coming of Rob Johnson. When everything was going right (just like in practice) he looks great. When things fall apart he makes bad decisions (or freezes) . We'll see as the season goes on.

770385[/snapback]

1) He did appear a little less quick in the 2nd half

2) Villarial is just about shot, he rarely generates a push and is not very mobile, basically the antithesis of what the new direction of the line is...I wouldn't mind seeing Preston sneak his way in there

3) Reed did a nice job with his routes and his main asset as a reciever is RAC

4) Light reverted to the arm bar and jersey stretch for his blocking techniques in the second half. A couple yellow hankies would have freed him up again.

Your questions seem to have been answered but aadditional observations:

1. The report from the announcers was that WM was getting his ankle retaped which allowed AT to get the reps where he did a great job. No one knows for sure how badly he was hurt, how much it slowed him down or how that influenced the play calls and design such that he went outside less, but it seems pretty clear that they would not done the extra intervention of retaping unless there was a serious need to do this. We may know more when this week's injury reports are made. If the injury slowed him he should at least be noted as probable.

2b. The announcer made an interesting observation to me that he noted Shelton had out his head down and that the onrushing defender seeing him commit his body to motion in that direction simply ran around him. Keeping your head up when you block would seem to be a relatively straighforward technique fix, though it is troubling that basic technique fixes in blitz pick-up should be necessary for Shelto. I am really sorry injury did not allow Ricard to stick as I think Shelton's play was bad enough last year and not improved enough in pre-season I thought he woulda/shoulda bveen cut.

3. I think folks over emphasize that the WR should go past the first down point to recieve the pass. If you ar bright enough to figure this out so is the defender who is now waiting at the first down point to break up the pass.

WRs run the route short because they have two tasks they must accomplish. They definitely must get pass the first down point with the ball, but they have to catch the ball first to do this. I have no problem with a reciever/QB cutting the route off early to increase the chances of the catch being made IF, the receiver is good enough to them turn and get the yardage. I have big problems with the reciever turning a yard or so pass the stickss if this means that he is not gonna catch the ball because he is dueling with a defender for the ball or even worse the defender jumps the route and takes it to the house.

Certainly there are cases where the route is short enough that everything happens bang-bang and the catch and tackle are goingto hapen simultaneously and the reciever needs to get to the line, but if he is gonna need to run anyway, then it is probably better to get him the ball quickly and allow him to turn rather than trying to time everything out.

4. Part of the D plan is to force the opponents to shut down a player because of hi success. I have little problem with Schhobel getting shut down IF this happens because the opponent has shifted the blocking his way or double teamed him which allows another member of the Bills DL to take advantage of on-on-one blocking. I think that the blocking did shift his way (it may nit necessarily be a d-t as it could be assignment of responsibility to an OL guy to do a secondary chip block on a player or the RB blitz can be shifted over a step to defend against a successful rusher.

Kelsay did seem to log many of his tackles and I believe during the second half which may be an indicator of a shift of attention to Schobel.