Offense Stepped Forward, Defense Stepped Back

Mark VI

Observations while at the game :

Drew - Was razor sharp. Line gave him time and he delivered.

OL - Blocked much better, especially the middle of the line. Lawrence Smith is our starter at LG.

Travis - Looked like Drew put the ball on his hip on the fumble. Bruised his rib. Should be OK. Loved that one run. He's our starter.

Magahee - Nice TD run. Obviously not 100 %. Lacking the burst. Situational back this year. Dropped an easy pass.

Nuefeld - Continues to block well. Had a nice catch.

Shelton and Lawton - Both FB's had some very nice blocks.

Moulds and Reed doing well. Evans hasn't done anything in the 1st 2 games. Will keep watching to see if he gets more looks.

Losman - He sure is exciting. I hope they quit calling the QB draw so he won't get killed.

Travis Brown - Journeyman does nothing for me.

DE's - played terrible. Kelsay kept taking wide rushes, ala Schobel, allowing Chris Brown to run inside and pick up yardage. Later, he was holding the middle and playing better. Schobel is still a swinging door on running sweeps. Give this guy big $$ ??? No way in hell. MCkenzie was average and Denney did nothing.

DT's - didn't have one of their better games. The Titans OL really took it to us in the 1st half.

LB's - I saw Posey miss a tackle but otherwise, he played well. Stripped away the ball from the QB. Seems to have a knack for that. Spikes has a couple nice hits. Still, he and Fletcher missed a few tackles again.

DB's - I think Clements looks great so far. Vincent does not. I'm hoping he can snap out of it. McGee was sensational as a KR and made a couple nice plays at CB. Kevin Thomas, with a cast on his hand, had a huge game.

I'm betting Mularkey lights these guys up for all the personal fouls. Too many penalties.

Boy, was Moorman missed ? Travis Brown botched 2 holds for Lindell. The ball wasn't placed right when Lindell missed the FG. Schafer punted the ball 22 yards on his 1st try. UGH !

Encouraging - The OL did play better. Drew looked sharp.

Discouraging - Titans Offense moved the ball well against our #1 Defense. No pressure at all on McNair. Defense needs to wake up and tackle better. They're better than last night.

On the bubble - Jason Peters, Gildon, Wire, Bannon, Pucillo, Travis Brown,Antonio Brown.

JSP, you reading this?  :doh:

:w00t:

3412[/snapback]

I am, but it's preseason. Let's see what he does against the Paytoilets.

And the Jets. And the fish. And just about ANYBODY we play in the regular season.

Then you can feel free to give me the :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: if I'm wrong! :D

I am, but it's preseason. Let's see what he does against the Paytoilets.

And the Jets. And the fish. And just about ANYBODY we play in the regular season.

3457[/snapback]

You got that right JSP :w00t:

i agree mark.

it doesn't bode well for AB that he didn't get one touch last night.

and let's face it: coy wire simply is not that good a football player. we all want him to be as good as his athleticicm, but he's had a long time to show something and he still doesn't show enough. He's always late to the action and doesn't always make the tackle.

Rashad Baker is already a better safety after 6 weeks of camp. It was interesting to see Prileau on the third team. I think we're gonna try to trade him...too much depth value to cut, but he's not going to make this team.

Hey, no one rags on DB more than me. But I will give him his props when he plays well. The Titans did apply good pressure and he delivered. Still, his success is contingent on a strong running game, of which Travis Henry is key ( despite what "Sullivan the Fool" thinks ).

OL - Blocked much better, especially the middle of the line. Lawrence Smith is our starter at LG.

Travis - Looked like Drew put the ball on his hip on the fumble. Bruised his rib. Should be OK. Loved that one run. He's our starter.

Magahee - Nice TD run. Obviously not 100 %. Lacking the burst. Situational back this year. Dropped an easy pass.

Moulds and Reed doing well. Evans hasn't done anything in the 1st 2 games. Will keep watching to see if he gets more looks.

Losman - He sure is exciting. I hope they quit calling the QB draw so he won't get killed.

DE's - played terrible. Kelsay kept taking wide rushes, ala Schobel, allowing Chris Brown to run inside and pick up yardage. Later, he was holding the middle and playing better. Schobel is still a swinging door on running sweeps. Give this guy big $$ ???  No way in hell. MCkenzie was average and Denney did nothing.

DT's - didn't have one of their better games. The Titans OL really took it to us in the 1st half.

LB's - I saw Posey miss a tackle but otherwise, he played well. Stripped away the ball from the QB. Seems to have a knack for that. Spikes has a couple nice hits. Still, he and Fletcher missed a few tackles again.

DB's - I think Clements looks great so far. Vincent does not. I'm hoping he can snap out of it. McGee was sensational as a KR and made a couple nice plays at CB. Kevin Thomas, with a cast on his hand, had a huge game.

I'm betting Mularkey lights these guys up for all the personal fouls. Too many penalties.

Boy, was Moorman missed ?  Travis Brown botched 2 holds for Lindell. The ball wasn't placed right when Lindell missed the FG. Schafer punted the ball 22 yards on his 1st try. UGH ! 

Discouraging - Titans Offense moved the ball well against our #1 Defense. No pressure at all on McNair. Defense needs to wake up and tackle better. They're better than last night.

On the bubble - Jason Peters, Gildon, Wire, Bannon, Pucillo, Travis Brown,Antonio Brown.

3401[/snapback]

excellent reveiw,I watch the game this morning,I definatly have to agree with your assessment the only thing I would add is the lack of discipline

Shelton definitely got more on the mark against Tennessee- still he's not the POP blocker that we had in the first Sam Gash era. But if he at least gets square into his assignment he can nuetralize a lot of opponents. It just doesn't look like he'll ever be a guy who "clears" a path for his RBs.

I watched Sam and Pat failry closely and thought they were playing well with a big drop off to their sides. Look at the lanes the Titan third down draws go through for first downs and I think you'll see the numbers 97 and 98 instead of our starters.

Denney snufed a screen or draw, can't remember but he kept his focus onthe ball and made a good play. He caused another run stuff by holding his position. All in all both our strong side DEs had trouble against the very effective- and very experienced- Fred Miller. Can't hurt either of their desires to improve.

Just a few random thoughts to add:

You know how much I like Coy Wire, but at this point I'm guessing it's down to him and Prioleau for the last safety spot. Was very interesting to see Baker come in with the second team, no? Kid just keeps making plays.

Re: DL - Seemed like they were rotating d-linemen on just about every play during those first two Titans drives. Perhaps working down/distance, or practicing the rotation, but it didn't do much for the line's continuity. (At least that's what I'm telling myself is the reason the Flaming Thumbtacks ran it right down their throats on both of those drives....)

The only one of the top 4 CBs who has yet to impress me yet this preseason is Troy Vincent. I'm really hoping it's merely a case of Bruuuuce syndrome, and he's just waiting for the regular season to start. On a related note, if the play out of the FS spot continues to underwhelm, is it too early to think about moving McGee or Thomas into a starting CB slot and having #23 make the position switch, with the object of getting our four best DBs on the field? (Or, with three weeks of practice before the season opener, is it too late to consider that?) Just one of those nutty 3AM ideas....

And best of luck to Antonio Brown as he seeks to continue his NFL career with another team, because the way Reed and McGee have looked, I do believe he's lost his KR job here permanently. JMO.

PS - Get well soon, Brian M. REAL soon.

Re: DL - Seemed like they were rotating d-linemen on just about every play during those first two Titans drives. Perhaps working down/distance, or practicing the rotation, but it didn't do much for the line's continuity. (At least that's what I'm telling myself is the reason the Flaming Thumbtacks ran it right down their throats on both of those drives....)

3949[/snapback]

I didn't see the game, but I wasn't surprised that the Titans ran a bunch. With the departure of Eddie George, they've got things to sort out.

Calling a lot of running plays is one thing. Chris Brown averaging over 6ypc against our supposed starting defense is another.

Then again, McNair and Volek both took it up and down the field against us in both of last season's games, too.

Calling a lot of running plays is one thing. Chris Brown averaging over 6ypc against our supposed starting defense is another.

Then again, McNair and Volek both took it up and down the field against us in both of last season's games, too.

4013[/snapback]

Well, for the game, TEN was 37 for 126, 3.4 yd. average. The Bills were 28 for 127, 4.5 yd average.

52 of the Titan's rush yards were with McNair in the game - a fellow who one must keep one's eyes on at all times.

McNair actually played from the pocket pretty much all game. He didn't feel the need to scramble, because for the most part, our alleged pass rush wasn't even in the same zip code as the ball while he was in there. Much room for improvement.

And don't forget, the other RBs were our old friend Antowain and some UDFA scrubs; AS's 7 carries-8 yards helped drag down their average.

Quite honestly, Brown looked better against our D than I expected him to.

DE's - played terrible. Kelsay kept taking wide rushes, ala Schobel, allowing Chris Brown to run inside and pick up yardage. Later, he was holding the middle and playing better. Schobel is still a swinging door on running sweeps. Give this guy big $$ ???  No way in hell. MCkenzie was average and Denney did nothing.

Boy, was Moorman missed ?  Travis Brown botched 2 holds for Lindell. The ball wasn't placed right when Lindell missed the FG. Schafer punted the ball 22 yards on his 1st try. UGH ! 

3401[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen the game yet. I do have the VCR set to record it tomorrow morning, so I'll probably watch it after work tomorrow.

The DEs having trouble against the outside run? That's nothing new, sad to say. I wish it weren't the case.

OL looked a bit better, did it? That's something. Maybe McNally is making a difference. I look forward to checking it out.

Just got done watching the game a second time. I have several points to make that need to be heard by many of you.

1. Denney played very well and made two outstanding plays in the first half.

2. While DB says he takes half the blame for TH's fumble, Travis had the ball tucked and was running when he coughed it up.

3. OL played well much of the time, through all substitutions. Pucillo whiffed once, MW twice and I sure hope Esposito doesn't let the door hit him on the way out.

4. Ron Edwards looks very solid.

5. Rashad Baker is the real deal.

6. Wire is still uncomfortable out there.

7. Brown looks so much better than JP - no matter what you all say.

8. Lindell is doing very well, thank you.

9. McGee is great at everything he does. Great draft pick, TD!

just my two cents.

I thought we had more rotation on the DLine on 1st/2nd down in the first 20:00 (thats all I've watched so far) than we did throughout the course of the entire season last year.

It may have hurt the continuity or not, but what it also did was enable PhatPat and the Keg to both be in there and fresh on 3rd/4th down when they gummed up the works and ended the Titan's drive.

Props to Denney for a great football play on that 4thdown as well.

Cya

Archived