Jaws Plus Vermeil

crazyDingo

It was great to finally watch a game with announcers who were talking about the game. Vermeil and Jaws had a nice flow going and pointed out tons of useful interesting things. I'd love to watch that crew this year.

I think they make ALL the other guys look clueless.

770354[/snapback]

I agree. They're taking an intelligent, insightful and technical approach and it couldn't sound fresher.

I think it is very bad for ESPN that they followed their new crew with these guys. It shows how stupid an idea it was to put Theismann and Kornheiser together as some sort of dream team. Theismann should have been sacked and Kornheiser is going to ruin a lot of the goodwill PTI and his writing career has built up for him because he's just not a football guy.

I was just about to start a thread on the subject. Vermeil became one of my favorite announcers as the game wore on. The amount of credibility he brings, and his ability to communicate are excellent. I always looked at jaws as one of the more credible guys on ESPN. His past experience with Vermeil only adds to the chemistry. As for Nesseler I think he's underrated as a play by play guy. I hope he does more pro football.

The other crew was horrendous. At times Kornheisier sounded like his mic wasn't on, and Theisman was his usual overbearing dusch bag self. I also never really cared for Mike Terico as a play by play man.

I too enjoyed listening to the second crew.

Tony K. has some interesting points, but seems almost afraid to bring them up. I bet Thiesman has him hooked up to a shocking device and he triggers it every time Tony tries to talk.

Somewhere there must be one person who believes that Theisman does a decent job, otherwise he would be out of a job. I just wonder who that person is.

I just wish LT had broken Theesman's voice box, guy really sucks.

It was great to finally watch a game with announcers who were talking about the game. Vermeil and Jaws had a nice flow going and pointed out tons of useful interesting things. I'd love to watch that crew this year.

I think they make ALL the other guys look clueless.

770354[/snapback]

They were so much better than the old ESPN Sunday night crew that actually made it difficult to enjoy the game and so much better than ESPN's number 1 crew on Monday night. Tony Kornheiser has to be the most unfunny human being on the planet - in truth he's no more annoying than McQuire he's equally annoying but in a different way.

Vermeil was always good in the booth...Jaws on the other hand is good on NFL Matchup but not that good in the booth but yes they blow the other team away

Tirico started out really well when he was first put in the booth but has become one of the worst play by play men...why cant he just announce the game and not spend so much time talking about everything else but the game. I like Tony but he isnt an announcer and Theismann is and has always been terrible

how many times a game does Theismann say "Yeah, he really does" when referring to a player...you think he could come up with something else

Something you heard from them that you seemingly never hear from announcers: talk about line play. They were always commenting on how performances by various guards and tackles helped a play work. You could hear them get excited WHILE the play was taking place because they could see players getting in a good position to spring a running back or protect their quarterback.

Vermeil had the helium thing going with his voice, and Jaws always sounds a bit melodramatic, but they were far and away the best crew I've heard in a long time.

dick was great but jaws feels like he is commentating some kind of highlight reel, for some reason rubs me the wrong way.

770405[/snapback]

Let me get this straight...you really enjoy Dick, but on the other hand you think there is too much Jaws pressure to fully enjoy the experience? :D

I didn't even know Vermeil was doing the game. I was half paying attention by listening and thought it was him. Very insightful commentary though.

I thought they were great. Watching the game last night I felt like I was sitting with some guys that really know the NFL game in my livingroom. And they enjoyed it.

Neither of them are particularly eloquent but who cares. They worked well together and I think that ESPN is going to get enough feedback and pressure from fans that they will have to the change to this crew before the season is over. If not full time then at least periodically throughout the season.

Jaworski and Vermeil are the 2 smartest NFL commentators, period. If you want real insight into the game there can be no better color team.

On the other hand, Joe Tibiaman and Tony Kornholer are worse than the Skins radio team. I hope they were just assigned to this one for the local knowledge; I dread 17 games of two guys who couldn't carry Paul Maguire and Dennis Miller's respective jocks.