Raiders O Line

Dan

Arguably the best. I don't think so either but some "so called experts" do. I've heard a few guys on pre game shows state this. I doesn't matter anyways because they don't get "much" better and I'm more worried about Jason Taylor than Richard Seymore right now.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think not.  Not even close.

Try:

Peppers

Freeney

Strahan

Jenkins

Rogers

Stroud

Granted Seymours good, but Gandy is going to be facing better guys.

And back to the original point of the post.  So what if Oakland has a worse line.  So we are 31st.  Victory dance all around.  <_<

771369[/snapback]

There isn't one player on that list I'd put above Seymour. As I've said before, he is the Pats' x factor. When he was out of the lineup (sacred cows Brady, Belichick, and Vinatieri were all still there), the Pats did not look good. Once he returned, they made a strong push for the championship that came up short in Denver.

Unfortunately, people want to measure DL in terms of sacks, but there's more to it than that. Sorry, but I happen to believe that Seymour is indeed the top DL in football now, the Bryant Young of his era.

There isn't one player on that list I'd put above Seymour.  As I've said before, he is the Pats' x factor.  When he was out of the lineup (sacred cows Brady, Belichick, and Vinatieri were all still there), the Pats did not look good.  Once he returned, they made a strong push for the championship that came up short in Denver. 

Unfortunately, people want to measure DL in terms of sacks, but there's more to it than that.  Sorry, but I happen to believe that Seymour is indeed the top DL in football now, the Bryant Young of his era.

771586[/snapback]

Ah, what do YOU know about football anyway?

<_<

Kidding, of course. The other ends on that list may well be better pure passrushers, but I agree - Seymour's the total package. And a few other people think so as well...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...eymour-sw_x.htm

Reread what I replied to

All I stated was that those guys are easily better then Seymour.  On top of that Seymour is also a DT and usually will not line up against Gandy.  But other than that you too had a good post.  <_<

771563[/snapback]

you must really hate the patriots, because there is not a snowball's chance in hell that shaun rogers is even 3/4 the player that richard seymour is.

Ah, what do YOU know about football anyway?

<_<

Kidding, of course. The other ends on that list may well be better pure passrushers, but I agree - Seymour's the total package. And a few other people think so as well...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...eymour-sw_x.htm

771597[/snapback]

What do I know? Not a damn thing.

I say this because of the following:

I have a team in a PC sim league (like a combination of fatasy football and franchise mode on the Madden NFL games). When we did our draft, I had 2 top 10 picks. The first one (6th), I used to take LT Walter Jones. The 2nd one (10th) I used to take RICHard Seymour. I made Seymour the pick w/ the intent on having my team play a 3-4 lineup. In later rounds, I added in LBs Bart Scott (man, does he look great in the early going of this year), Morlon Greenwood (solid, not spectacular) and Hunter Hillenmeyer (actually wasn't too bad; best coverage LB I had), not to mention the dynamic 3 of the Chargers, meaning DE Luis Castillo (good young player, nice compliment to Seymour), NT Jamal Williams (THE main reason my run defense gave up just 3.3 yards per rush) and the jewel in the crown, LB Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman (3rd in our sim league w/ 18 sacks). I thought for sure I was going to have a Steeler-like defense that would stuff the run, neutralize the pass, and create the kind of turnovers that would allow my offense to dominate. Well......

My record in our just completed year?

2-14

Obviously, I don't know jack about football.

Interesting choices, Rich. While I wouldn't have disagreed with any of your DL selections, I've always felt the foundation of the 3-4's success can be found in your old stomping grounds. Except for Lights Out, the 'backers you listed are solid, but not game-changers. (JMO.)

Then again, maybe I was spoiled by the Biscuit/Conlan/Talley combo...

Interesting choices, Rich. While I wouldn't have disagreed with any of your DL selections, I've always felt the foundation of the 3-4's success can be found in your old stomping grounds. Except for Lights Out, the 'backers you listed are solid, but not game-changers. (JMO.)

771623[/snapback]

Since when do you talk about the lb position and not mention him? <_<

771623[/snapback]

They were the best I could do @ the time. It's tough to get good LBs, especially ones that fit the 3-4 scheme. I think my front 7 was solid, but my secondary, except for SS Adrian Wilson, was bad. My corners (Sheldon Brown and Travis Fisher) weren't much to get excited about, nor was my FS (Marquand Manuel, after I benched Josh Bullocks).

Also, my offense left a lot to be desired:

LT Jones (good)

LG Mulitalo (ugh!)

C Meester (solid; Jake Grove is the backup)

RG Snee (good)

RT Barron (good, but young)

TE Stephen Alexander (not much)

WR Moulds (about 80 catches but only around 700 yards and 4 TDs)

WR Mason (nearly 90 catches but just over 800 yards and 3 TDs)

FB Pass (not bad, just wasn't able to use him as much as I wanted)

HB Dunn (the bright spot of my team: over 1,300 yards and 8 TDs)

QB Carr (Aaaaagh! Only 2,500 yards, 12 TDs, 15 picks, and sacked 63 times!!!)

Carr? Saved the best for last, I see. Yikes. Wonder what he could've been if he hadn't spent the last four seasons being pounded into submission.

Bill, the pre-injury Cowart was a frickin' stud, but his running mates (Rogers/Northern/Holecek/Newman) were merely adequate compared to the Super Bowl-era group. Bennett is a lock to join Talley on the Wall of Fame, and Conlan is a big reason I became a Bills fan in the first place. (I'll probably be wearing a #58 jersey when you see me next month, and no, I didn't pick that number because of Villarrial... <_< )

Carr? Saved the best for last, I see. Yikes. Wonder what he could've been if he hadn't spent the last four seasons being pounded into submission.

771668[/snapback]

Yeah. I think the sim tries to be as close to the NFL stats as possible, meaning that even though I put a much better OL in front of him, he still got crushed. My fault for waiting so long to take a QB, but I had to make sure I got my defense set up the way I wanted it. Yeah, for all the good that did me.

Bill, the pre-injury Cowart was a frickin' stud, but his running mates (Rogers/Northern/Holecek/Newman) were merely adequate compared to the Super Bowl-era group. Bennett is a lock to join Talley on the Wall of Fame, and Conlan is a big reason I became a Bills fan in the first place. (I'll probably be wearing a #58 jersey when you see me next month, and no, I didn't pick that number because of Villarrial... <_< )

771668[/snapback]

Conlan was okay. A bit overrated though, as every LB from Penn State is.

Conlan was okay.  A bit overrated though, as every LB from Penn State is.

771674[/snapback]

I freely admit my bias there. You know why I love Conlan; the senior year was great, and the Fiesta Bowl performance was the stuff of legend. As for his pro career? Ah, if only those 'chicken legs' had been a bit sturdier...

I freely admit my bias there. You know why I love Conlan; the senior year was great, and the Fiesta Bowl performance was the stuff of legend. As for his pro career? Ah, if only those 'chicken legs' had been a bit sturdier...

771681[/snapback]

True. Still, gotta love the effort he put forth. And I'm still on the lookout for a cord cap from the '86 Fiesta Bowl. I should've bought one when they were out; now I can never find 'em.

Yeah.  I think the sim tries to be as close to the NFL stats as possible, meaning that even though I put a much better OL in front of him, he still got crushed.  My fault for waiting so long to take a QB, but I had to make sure I got my defense set up the way I wanted it.  Yeah, for all the good that did me.

Conlan was okay.  A bit overrated though, as every LB from Penn State is.

771674[/snapback]

Help my memory here. Didn't Conlon get picked after a trade with PGH, and they selected Woodson? Dunno..

Help my memory here. Didn't Conlon get picked after a trade with PGH, and they selected Woodson? Dunno..

771936[/snapback]

My memory isn't so great, either. I do remember that, going into the draft, I was hoping the Bills would get Woodson, but when they drafted Conlan, I was happy about it. For my favorite NFL team to draft a star LB from my favorite college team, I was good to go.

I don't remember if a trade was involved, though.

771936[/snapback]

Woodson was selected after Conlon. There was no trade involved that I know of. Later that year, we traded for the rights to Bennett. My recollection is the Bills really wanted Reggie Rogers.