Raiders O Line

Dan

The story of their game has to be: 1) no push on the 4th and 1; 2) a sack for a safety; and 3) a sack on our last possesion.  They were horrible in the 2nd half which to me offset a very good first half. 

Improved over last season?  Maybe, but last season is a poor measuring stick. 

I think they can develop as the season progresses but if I were Marv my prioirity for the off season would be to upgrade the talent at LT, RG and LG.

771380[/snapback]

Better watch it. When you say RG you are picking on everyone favorite single digit IQ player. <_<

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And despite the late game collaspe, this line played really well against one of the best front 7s in the league.  They were constantly moving the ball down the field.  They were awesome if you consider this was their first game together.  I honestly believe this line (with a little more depth and maybe an upgrade at one of the guards spots) can be a really good one if they can stay together for several years.

770690[/snapback]

A lot of people call Sunday's game a late game collapse by the OL. Late game? They were completely dominated from 9:25 of the 3rd quarter to the end of the game. That is 24 minutes and 25 seconds or 41% of the game. In that time they failed to open a hole on 4th and 1, scored 0 points, had 0 first downs, gave up 2 points on offense, and gave up 2 very key sacks.

I am hopeful that the OL problems for that last 41% were more related to schemes than sheer talent, strength, and will. If not it will be another long season.

A lot of people call Sunday's game a late game collapse by the OL.  Late game?  They were completely dominated from 9:25 of the 3rd quarter to the end of the game.  That is 24 minutes and 25 seconds or 41% of the game.  In that time they failed to open a hole on 4th and 1, scored 0 points, had 0 first downs, gave up 2 points on offense, and gave up 2 very key sacks.

On NFL Live last night, they said that the spot they gave Willis on that 4th and 1 was horrible and that it was a 1st down.

Oops I was thinking RT.  my bad.  BTW, what's wrong with Reyes.  He seemed to hold his own.  The jail breaks we had seemed to come from LT, Center and RT.

Yeah, I knew what you were thinking. <_<

As for Reyes, I didn't have a problem with him, or the rest of the O-line for the first 2-1/2 quarters. And the Pats' D-line IS pretty good. I just wonder if it was conditioning at all?

On NFL Live last night, they said that the spot they gave Willis on that 4th and 1 was horrible and that it was a 1st down.

771444[/snapback]

I have watched, and rewatched that at least 15 times now. No he didn't make it. His knee was down, and in fact the ball should have been spotted further out. He got a better spot then he should have.

I have watched, and rewatched that at least 15 times now.  No he didn't make it.  His knee was down, and in fact the ball should have been spotted further out.  He got a better spot then he should have.

Well that's what was said on NFL Live. I don't know if they had better camera angles, i.e. to see if Willis' knee really DID touch down (and didn't appear to) or what. And considering it's from ESPN, a station that likes to bash the Bills and salute the Pats, that's saying something for them to make that statement without any proof.

In any case, I'm thinking that for future short yardage situations, A-Train should be the guy. Or how about a QB sneak?

Just to get back to the original topic, and not to defend TD too much, but Robert Gallery was considered by EVERYONE to be a "can't miss" prospect.  So is it the fault of the Raiders, Gallery, or both?

And the same goes for Grove, who looks like crap as well.

771484[/snapback]

I thought so too MBD, and I was dead wrong.

Still, the fact remains that with extremely rare exceptions (Hutch), there is no other way to get a top offensive lineman other than to draft them early.

Btw, did you read Roth on the front page of TBD? I wonder where he learned the expression "scrap heap?" He should send me a friggin check.

I'm just glad that everyone knows that Art Shell didn't get another head coaching job in the NFL until now not because his teams are sloppy, undisciplined penalty-filled loss machines, but because racist owners and GMs unfairly denied him a chance.

I don't have a problem with Reyes. He is an upgrade over Anderson for sure, but there is room for improvement at that spot. As for getting a guy in free agency, it's very hard to get a quality guy without breaking the bank. Hutchinson being the exception(7yrs 49M) I'd probably focus on interior guys in free agency since they are a little less expensive and you'll never find anyone worth a damn to play LT in free agency. That's why I thought we should of grabbed Neil from the Pats. We could of gotten younger at our 2nd oldest starting position on the team and could have probably only paid a little more than what we gave to Reyes. LT would then probably be our only weak spot by next year with two solid guards and a very athletic center all well under 30 years old. Who knows, by the end of the year Peters could be ready for the left side and we could draft a RT, which besides "you know who", are usually easier to find.

I think not.  Not even close.

Try:

Peppers

Freeney

Strahan

Jenkins

Rogers

Stroud

Granted Seymours good, but Gandy is going to be facing better guys.

771369[/snapback]

That's a great post, VA. Except for the fact that Gandy is only going to face one of those six guys. Freeney.

Peppers and Strahan are LDE against Peters. Rogers and Stroud are tackles going against the guards. Not to mention that by Jenkins I assume you mean Kris Jenkins who plays tackle on the Panthers, who we don't play.

That's a great post, VA. Except for the fact that Gandy is only going to face one of those six guys. Freeney.

Peppers and Strahan are LDE against Peters. Rogers and Stroud are tackles going against the guards. Not to mention that by Jenkins I assume you mean Kris Jenkins who plays tackle on the Panthers, who we don't play.

771559[/snapback]

Reread what I replied to

Richard Seymore is arguably the best defensive lineman in the game.

All I stated was that those guys are easily better then Seymour. On top of that Seymour is also a DT and usually will not line up against Gandy. But other than that you too had a good post. <_<

As for the D line the new regime is gonna have to realize we need a space eater at DT for some running downs at least as well. Our run D still has miles to go.

771549[/snapback]

But we arent. The cover 2 doesnt employ a fatass 350 lb run stopper. Do we need better run stopping? yes. But it isnt going to come in the form of a "space-eater". Give our guys some time to develop and learn how to play in the system. As they become more talented, they will stop the run more effectively.

Let's watch the X offensive line (or qb or wr) is worse than ours talk. Sounds like loser talk. Doctrine of Invidious Comparison. Easy to get wrapped up in talk that has us arguing who is nearer the top of the garbage pile. I like the fact that we shook up the frigging Patriots and are going to whoop the Dolphins.

Reread what I replied to

All I stated was that those guys are easily better then Seymour.  On top of that Seymour is also a DT and usually will not line up against Gandy.  But other than that you too had a good post.  <_<

771563[/snapback]

No. Wrong again. Seymour is the RE on the Pats. Wolfolk is the NT.

I guess by referencing a post about Gandy, immediately listing six players, and then saying Gandy will face better guys you weren't inferring any of the six. I get it now.

No. Wrong again. Seymour is the RE on the Pats. Wolfolk is the NT.

I guess by referencing a post about Gandy, immediately listing six players, and then saying Gandy will face better guys you weren't inferring any of the six. I get it now.

771569[/snapback]

Umm... are you sure? I thought he played the inside? If not then I apologize. But needless to say, based on the above statement he still isn't the best.

Edit: just checked. You're right. I could have sworn he was a DT. I know Wolfolk is, but I thought NE was playing more 4-3 lately and Seymor was playing inside.