Raiders O Line

Dan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honk! Honk! (Sirens Blasting)....Reach Alert...Reach Alert...Go To Your Football Shelters Immediately! Repeat.....Reach Alert!!!! :D  :lol:

It does strongly help of course to draft the ones who CAN play, because if you miss (as did the Bills and Raiders), you are going to pay a very steep price for years, but I suppose it is the same at any position.

770416[/snapback]

So the way to build an offensive line though the first day of the draft, is to draft them 2-3 years after they turn pro, that way you never make a mistake.

Honk! Honk! (Sirens Blasting)....Reach Alert...Reach Alert...Go To Your Football Shelters Immediately! Repeat.....Reach Alert!!!! :lol:  :lol:

I will go a year at a time, OK....

You list a third round pick....Adam Treu who was a bust, but a funny thing happened on the way to the 3rd round....OTs Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Tarik Glenn were taken in round 1. Chris Naole was also selected as a guard, as was Ross Verba.

Right you are...Mo Collins DID go in the 1st, but Kyle Turley and Tra Thomas went before him. Victor Riley and Flo Adams went just a tad later, as did a pretty good OG.....Alan Faneca.

Not a stellar year for OTs, but the first one taken, John Tait, is doing rather well. Randy Thomas was also a nice OG at pick 26.

Walker in the 2nd? You should have listed Mike Williams as a bust, however the contracts that McKinnie and Jones (picked slightly later) just signed total close to 100 million. Someone is glad that they chose them.

Well yeah, ya got me there.  :o  I too thought Gallery would be great. How on earth did Max Starks last until the 12th pick of round 3?  :D  Also, Steinbach, the 1st pick of round 2, is a very good player.

Too early to comment.

Like I say, teams pretty much are forced to draft these guys, and rarely to never trade them. Do you think we can pry Starks from the Steelers?

It does strongly help of course to draft the ones who CAN play, because if you miss (as did the Bills and Raiders), you are going to pay a very steep price for years, but I suppose it is the same at any position.

770416[/snapback]

But the reason the draft is the draft is because you have no idea what you are getting in theory. For your past posts, what the Raiders did is exactly what you wanted the Bills to do. It is really easy to look back and say they should have know these guys were busts, but GMs aren't Marty McFly.

This is again what people missed when they ripped the Bills draft this year. They like Whitner a lot as a player and he fit a need. To me, that's a great pick. And personally, I'd rather have a guy like Fowler, who is young and has proven he can play in the league, than an unknown like Mangold, who may or may not be great.

And despite the late game collaspe, this line played really well against one of the best front 7s in the league. They were constantly moving the ball down the field. They were awesome if you consider this was their first game together. I honestly believe this line (with a little more depth and maybe an upgrade at one of the guards spots) can be a really good one if they can stay together for several years.

And despite the late game collaspe, this line played really well against one of the best front 7s in the league.  They were constantly moving the ball down the field.  They were awesome if you consider this was their first game together.  I honestly believe this line (with a little more depth and maybe an upgrade at one of the guards spots) can be a really good one if they can stay together for several years.

770690[/snapback]

You gotta stop setting your goals so high C-Man! :D:lol:

But this makes no sense.... :lol:

Adam Treu 3nd round

Tim Kohn 3nd round

Mo Collins 1st round

Matt Stinchcomb 1st round

Langston Walker 2nd round

Robert Gallery 1st round(#2 overall)

Jake Grove 2nd round

Paul McQuistan 3rd round

I have been repeatedly told that the way to build a great team is by drafting OL on the first day.

Now I don't know what to think. :D

770396[/snapback]

???

from 1998-2002, the raiders' offensive line was one of the most effective ones in the league. why are you only basing it on this year (and this game)? you're also forgetting the fact that they picked up first rounder lincoln kennedy very early in his career.

I'll say I'd like the left side upgraded but by the time that happens we will need a RG too, cuz Villarial we be retired. I know it's coulda shoulda, but I thought we should have signed Neil from the Pats and planned for the future. One way or the other, I hope we somehow address this next offseason.

Hate to break everyone's love fest with Merriman but jeez you guys are contradicting yourself.

"merriman looks unstoppable. but gallery and the Oakland line sucks"

You just made your own point. Merriman looks so darn incredible because its the Oakland 0-line he is going against. Dont get me wrong. THe guy is very good. But take a break on saying that he will surpass the sack record just because he got 3 sacks on a bad 0-line.

Hate to break everyone's love fest with Merriman but jeez you guys are contradicting yourself.

"merriman looks unstoppable. but gallery and the Oakland line sucks"

You just made your own point. Merriman looks so darn incredible because its the Oakland 0-line he is going against.  Dont get me wrong. THe guy is very good. But take a break on saying that he will surpass the sack record just because he got 3 sacks on a bad 0-line.

770757[/snapback]

Hey, if Vonnie Holliday got a sweet free agent deal for going against Fina, there's no reason not to send Merriman to Canton for lining up against the hairdo with the tats.

Sadly...we've been saying that for the last six years...

770741[/snapback]

And now with new guys running the ship, hopefully they listen and will do just what we have hoped the previous guys would

It gets tiring hearing everyone say that the Bills have been bad for the past 5 years, or since we didn't do something in those years we probably won't because that was a different group leading this team. Right now, those 5 years can't be used as a baseline anymore becuase there are new guys in charge now with different ideas and different ways of running things. If in a couple of seasons we are still in the same situation, then we can include the previous 5 years. There is only so much you can do in one offseason and I have faith they did whatever they could to fix what they could

And now with new guys running the ship, hopefully they listen and will do just what we have hoped the previous guys would

It gets tiring hearing everyone say that the Bills have been bad for the past 5 years, or since we didn't do something in those years we probably won't because that was a different group leading this team. Right now, those 5 years can't be used as a baseline anymore becuase there are new guys in charge now with different ideas and different ways of running things. If in a couple of seasons we are still in the same situation, then we can include the previous 5 years. There is only so much you can do in one offseason and I have faith they did whatever they could to fix what they could

770761[/snapback]

Posts such as this are the hope that we cling to and it keeps us going, but Marv (and the Bills) have an ugly history of chasing defensive backs in early rounds, only to watch them walk.

It hasn't worked, will not work, and needs to stop.

Posts such as this are the hope that we cling to and it keeps us going, but Marv (and the Bills) have an ugly history of chasing defensive backs in early rounds, only to watch them walk.

It hasn't worked, will not work, and needs to stop.

770854[/snapback]

Plus, I don't think much changed with our scouting team once TD left.

And those guys couldn't spot a talented OL draft prospect if he was standing in the war room with 'em.

FWIW, i believe Starks is a RFA this upcoming offseason.

770597[/snapback]

That is great info. You think that the Panthers might be in the market for his services as well?

Pitt is probably trying to extend him now but if they fail to do so, he is going to get offers in the range of 40 - 50 million, or so it would seem.

A bit of trivia..... The Steelers parted ways with a very good LT (John Jackson) in 1997 or so, but he was not young as is Starks.

I'm not taking up for Gandy(I like many would love an upgrade here) but also remember Richard Seymore is arguably the best defensive lineman in the game.

770635[/snapback]

I think not. Not even close.

Try:

Peppers

Freeney

Strahan

Jenkins

Rogers

Stroud

Granted Seymours good, but Gandy is going to be facing better guys.

And back to the original point of the post. So what if Oakland has a worse line. So we are 31st. Victory dance all around. :lol:

I really don't think our line looked too bad yesterday.  Except for Gandy on a couple plays we looked much improved.  Am I the only one who thinks this?

770380[/snapback]

The story of their game has to be: 1) no push on the 4th and 1; 2) a sack for a safety; and 3) a sack on our last possesion. They were horrible in the 2nd half which to me offset a very good first half.

Improved over last season? Maybe, but last season is a poor measuring stick.

I think they can develop as the season progresses but if I were Marv my prioirity for the off season would be to upgrade the talent at LT, RG and LG.