Stupid Kid

stuckincincy

I get a weekly local paper. It's free - the ads pay for it. But they employ kids to deliver it (and they get paid), and if they collect, they get $2.50 per month. I fork over the $$$.

Typically, Mom runs them down the street to distriubute the papers. I pay the punk. One or two made the effort to get cash, but most - including the latest 12-year old, are pitiful. He took the time to insert a message in the paper's plastic sleeve - with an envelope, saying he would be collecting on Saturday, and wrote an imperative stating that we better save the envelope for the next use, because it would cost him money.

My neighborhood, was festooned with envelopes taped to the door.

But kiddo did not show up. A turnip has more personality.

He showed up today. I asked him where he was on Saturday. He said he forgot. Right. I asked again. He said he got a new video game he just had to play.

But I suppose he's a precious child. I'm guessing his parents are jerks, he will grow up as a self-centered snot, and at the least, he won't get another dime from me.

Am I being harsh?

I get a weekly local paper. It's free - the ads pay for it. But they employ kids to deliver it (and they get paid), and if they collect, they get $2.50 per month.

Typically, Mom runs them down the street to distriubte the papers. I pay the punk. One or two made the effort to get cash, but most - including the latest 12-year old, are pitiful. He took the time to insert a message in the paper's plastic sleeve - with an envelope, saying he would be collecting on Saturday, and wrote an imperative stating that we better save the envelope for the next use, because it would cost him money.

But kiddo did not show up.

He showed up today. I asked him where he was on Saturday. He said he forgot. Right. I asked again. He said he got a new video game he just had to play.

But I suppose he's a precious child. I'm guessing his parents are jerks, he will grow up as a self-centered snot, and at the least, he won't get another dime from me.

Am I being harsh?

770063[/snapback]

Yes. The kid provides a service. The paper is free, but someone is bringing it to you... for $.08 a day.

Don't sweat the small stuff

I get a weekly local paper. It's free - the ads pay for it. But they employ kids to deliver it (and they get paid), and if they collect, they get $2.50 per month. I fork over the $$$.

Typically, Mom runs them down the street to distriubute the papers. I pay the punk. One or two made the effort to get cash, but most - including the latest 12-year old, are pitiful. He took the time to insert a message in the paper's plastic sleeve - with an envelope, saying he would be collecting on Saturday, and wrote an imperative stating that we better save the envelope for the next use, because it would cost him money.

But kiddo did not show up. A turnip has more personality.

Am I being harsh?

770063[/snapback]

No. If he's prioritizing video games over doing a good job at his job now, he's going to be a sh------- McDonalds employee when he's 30.

Does all the $ go to the delivery human? If so, then fine...it's a tip. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay for a free paper.

Assuming it's all for the boy, then your question is a rather difficult one, indeed. I say keep your cash and give the tyke a joint or a 6-pack instead.

I don't understand if the paper is free and he is being paid by the publisher why you would pay young man or lady a penny. Now if at end of the year the person who delivered this paper did so in a prompt courteous, respectful manner a end of year gratuity to show your appreciation may be in order.

It's not your job to raise the kid.  He's providing a service and unless he's doing a bad job delivering it, his methods of collection shouldn't bother you too much, if it's a matter of taping an envelope to your door and nothing else.

770148[/snapback]

Of course, providing the service includes collecting the damn money...so if he's doing a bad job doing that (and generally, taping envelopes to people's doors IS a bad way of collecting money), he's doing a bad job, period.

Does all the $ go to the delivery human?  If so, then fine...it's a tip. 

770132[/snapback]

Delivery human... that I like. And it's a tip.

The question is do you yourself tip for bad service or not. I can't help but put a little down no matter how sideways the meal goes. I suspect your wondering about how harsh you're being comes from the same place.

Of course, providing the service includes collecting the damn money...so if he's doing a bad job doing that (and generally, taping envelopes to people's doors IS a bad way of collecting money), he's doing a bad job, period.

I would have left the money on the door (assuming that was the kid's suggestion on where to leave it) come rain or shine. If it was still there when he DID come around, great for him. If it wasn't and he rang the doorbell, I'd tell him it was there on Saturday when he said he'd be coming, so tough luck. That's the best way for people to learn.

Now if he were delivering the paper poorly, that's truly bad service and I'd complain. Then again maybe I wouldn't.

Remind me why I'm on my SECOND post on this topic? :angry:

I would have left the money on the door (assuming that was the kid's suggestion on where to leave it) come rain or shine.  If it was still there when he DID come around, great for him.  If it wasn't and he rang the doorbell, I'd tell him it was there on Saturday when he said he'd be coming, so tough luck.  That's the best way for people to learn.

Now if he were delivering the paper poorly, that's truly bad service and I'd complain.  Then again maybe I wouldn't. 

Remind me why I'm on my SECOND post on this topic? <_<

770243[/snapback]

Because you're just too !@#$ing cool. Just like me. :angry:

Screw it. Let's go post in Dean's lunch meat topic...

Does all the $ go to the delivery human?  If so, then fine...it's a tip.  Otherwise, I wouldn't pay for a free paper.

Assuming it's all for the boy, then your question is a rather difficult one, indeed.  I say keep your cash and give the tyke a joint or a 6-pack instead.

770132[/snapback]

Yes. The biped gets the cash.

This one has lasted more than usual. Most give it up in 2 or 3 months - the adult carries the papers up and down the street in a car, and junior grabs six or so and makes the struggle up to porches. Then there is the arduousness of collecting $2.50.

Walking up and down a 1/3 mile city street 5 times a month.

Oh, the Humanity...

No.  If he's prioritizing video games over doing a good job at his job now, he's going to be a sh------- McDonalds employee when he's 30.

770122[/snapback]

VIDEO GAMES OVER HIS JOB, where are this kids parents!?!? What about adults who post on a Buffalo Bills message board when they should be working? Where are my parents!?!?

Most people are crap.  They start out as crap little kids and then they become crap adults.  Crap is what they are made of and all they ever know.  Everything they do is crap and crap is all they can ever aspire to be.

770468[/snapback]

I object to this.

I did some crappy things as a kid. I've done some crappy things as an adult but feel that the level of crap has improved. In fact currently, I am above being crap and and am merely riding a wave of humanity. Or maybe Flotsam.

Tip the kid.

Yes. The biped gets the cash.

This one has lasted more than usual. Most give it up in 2 or 3 months - the adult carries the papers up and down the street in a car, and junior grabs six or so and makes the struggle up to porches. Then there is the arduousness of collecting $2.50.

Walking up and down a 1/3 mile city street 5 times a month.

Oh, the Humanity...

770537[/snapback]

I agree, the kid sounds lazy and unmotivated. Anybody that had paper route when they wereyounger (I delivered the NF Gazette for four years in the early seventies) will tell you that collecting was the worst part of the job. If I didn't collect, I didn't get paid, as newspaper delivery was done on a modified independent contractor basis back then. So when adults would lie, and avoid me to get out of paying for the paper, thinking they were screwing the Gazette, they were actually putting the screws to a 12 year old neighborhood kid. Kids can be a$$holes, but so can adults.

I object to this.

I did some crappy things as a kid. I've done some crappy things as an adult but feel that the level of crap has improved. In fact currently, I am above being crap and and am merely riding a wave of humanity. Or maybe Flotsam.

Tip the kid.

770920[/snapback]

Ok, I take it back. Most people are ok if you give them a chance.