New On-sides Kick Rule

smokinandjokin

I remember hearing about this rule when the changes were announced, and I didn't think much of it. I heard the announcer mention it yesterday during the SF-Zona game, and it struck me as a pretty dumb and pointless rule. Apparently, you must keep a minimum of four players on each side of the kicker (and the football.) Therefore, the most you can have is six guys on the side where you want to send the ball into the mixer. I suppose your four guys on the other side forces the receiving team to line some players up there too, putting less in the mixer, but I don't understand why it's mandated. Let the kicking team decide if that's how they want it.

Anybody know the reasoning behind this rule change? We all know the NFL has a motive for everything they do, so what's the deal here- Do they want more kicks recovered, or less kicks recovered?

The onsides kick is always one of the most exciting plays, and it's incredibly nerve racking if your team is holding a slim lead. However, I just don't get this rule. Was there a barrage of onsides kicks recovered last year, that they felt they had to change things around? (NOTE- One game I caught the end of, San Fran recovered their onsides kick and had a few heaves at the end zone.)

I say, let 'em line up however they want to and let's get nasty.

I remember hearing about this rule when the changes were announced, and I didn't think much of it.  I heard the announcer mention it yesterday during the SF-Zona game, and it struck me as a pretty dumb and pointless rule.  Apparently, you must keep a minimum of four players on each side of the kicker (and the football.)  Therefore, the most you can have is six guys on the side where you want to send the ball into the mixer.  I suppose your four guys on the other side forces the receiving team to line some players up there too, putting less in the mixer, but I don't understand why it's mandated.  Let the kicking team decide if that's how they want it. 

Anybody know the reasoning behind this rule change?  We all know the NFL has a motive for everything they do, so what's the deal here- Do they want more kicks recovered, or less kicks recovered?

The onsides kick is always one of the most exciting plays, and it's incredibly nerve racking if your team is holding a slim lead.  However, I just don't get this rule.  Was there a barrage of onsides kicks recovered last year, that they felt they had to change things around?  (NOTE- One game I caught the end of, San Fran recovered their onsides kick and had a few heaves at the end zone.) 

I say, let 'em line up however they want to and let's get nasty.

769754[/snapback]

I think its a reatrded rule that favors players "safety". They dont want 20 guys running full speed at each other at a single time. Of course, the way to get around it is to bunch your 10 other KO guys right up the kickers ass, and turn the middle of the field into an onside cluster !@#$, instead of the sidelines.