Still dont understand the Royal Block

JimBob2232

I am sure I am missing somethign here, but it looked to me as if the play was a 1st down, and after crossing the 1st down line, Royal commited the penalty. That is a spot foul, and it seems to me the first down should stand and it would be 1st and 20, 10 yards back from where he went out of bounds. Instead it was 3rd and 2. What am i missing?

I am sure I am missing somethign here, but it looked to me as if the play was a 1st down, and after crossing the 1st down line, Royal commited the penalty.  That is a spot foul, and it seems to me the first down should stand and it would be 1st and 20, 10 yards back from where he went out of bounds.  Instead it was 3rd and 2. What am i missing?

768082[/snapback]

The 3rd down play wasn't over yet, so they mark 10 yds from the spot of foul. If he committed the penalty two yards upfield, it's a first down.

Play was still in progress, not a deadball foul.  It's a spot foul and then the penalty.  That is the result of the play, which made it 3-2.

768084[/snapback]

The ref made the wrong call...it should have been 10 yds back from the foul, first and 10. The ref originally signalled first down. Belli said to the ref, that is not fair so he changed it to 3 and 2.

K.  I get it now.  Not sure I agree with the rule, but at least i understand where it came from.  IMO that should be 1st and 20, 10 yards back.  Thanks guys.

768104[/snapback]

You'll agree with the rule if the Bills have it work out in their favor this year. If we ever get a ref that likes the Bills and hasn't been blown by the opposing qb the night before.

The ref made the wrong call...it should have been 10 yds back from the foul, first and 10.  The ref originally signalled first down.  Belli said to the ref, that is not fair so he changed it to 3 and 2.

768090[/snapback]

I hope this is sarcastic. Just for anyone who took this as right ... its not. Royal commited the foul 8 yards from the line of scrimmage. It is a 10 yard penalty, making the next play 3rd and 2 .... do the math 10-8 = 2

I hope this is sarcastic. Just for anyone who took this as right ... its not. Royal commited the foul 8 yards from the line of scrimmage. It is a 10 yard penalty, making the next play 3rd and 2 .... do the math 10-8 = 2

768136[/snapback]

Price got the first down...it should have been either first and 10 or first and 20....the Bills got the first down....they got screwed...no sarcasm.

Price got the first down...it should have been either first and 10 or first and 20....the Bills got the first down....they got screwed...no sarcasm.

768150[/snapback]

You are WRONG. NFL Rules say that a block in the back is a SPOT foul. It was during the play and the play was a 3rd down play. The foul was committed 8 yards from the line of scrimmage. It is a 10 yard penalty, and re-do the down. Thus making it 3rd and 2.

Now if Price stepped out of bounds and then a few seconds later Royal blocks the guy in the back, then the play was over, and it was a 1st down because the play was over. Then it would have been 1st and 20.

Get it?

It's an NFL rule, as well as a high school rule.  Read a book.

768164[/snapback]

Since you seem to believe I am too stupid to understand, explain the rule as it is in the rule book?

How can the play count, then have a penalty assessed and not lose a down. So the call you are saying is that the play did not count at all?

You are WRONG. NFL Rules say that a block in the back is a SPOT foul. It was during the play and the play was  a 3rd down play. The foul was committed 8 yards from the line of scrimmage. It is a 10 yard penalty, and re-do the down. Thus making it 3rd and 2.

Now if Price stepped out of bounds and then a few seconds later Royal blocks the guy in the back, then the play was over, and it was a 1st down because the play was over. Then it would have been 1st and 20.

Get it?

768171[/snapback]

Actually it would have been 1st and 25 since that would have then been a dead ball foul. and a 15 yard penalty. :doh:

Since you seem to believe I am too stupid to understand, explain the rule as it is in the rule book?

How can the play count, then have a penalty assessed and not lose a down.  So the call you are saying is that the play did not count at all?

768177[/snapback]

Have you read any of the posts in this thread? :doh: