September 7, 1980

Albany,n.y.

That was opening day against the hated Dolphins. The Bills had not made the playoffs the previous 5 seasons and had a losing record each of the last 4 seasons. In addition, the opponent had beaten the Bills 20 straight times.

Well that day the Bills opened some eyes defeating the Dolphins 17-7. The team went on to start the season 5-0 before ending up 11-5, earning their 1st playoff berth since 1974, ushering in a new (although too short lived) era of winning Buffalo Bills football. The pent up frustration of the fans was so evident on that day, that when the game ended, the fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts, ON OPENING DAY! I've never seen this before or after and in today's era of added stadium security, will never happen again in an NFL game.

Just like that day in 1980, the Bills are in a long playoff drought playing a team that has owned them (Patriots 10-1 last 11 games). While there won't be any home field advantage, or fans storming the field, with the start of a new season, I can dream of today being the 9/7/80 of the 2000s.

That was opening day against the hated Dolphins.  The Bills had not made the playoffs the previous 5 seasons and had a losing record each of the last 4 seasons.  In addition, the opponent had beaten the Bills 20 straight times. 

Well that day the Bills opened some eyes defeating the Dolphins 17-7.  The team went on to start the season 5-0 before ending up 11-5, earning their 1st playoff berth since 1974, ushering in a new (although too short lived) era of winning Buffalo Bills football.  The pent up frustration of the fans was so evident on that day, that when the game ended, the fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts, ON OPENING DAY!  I've never seen this before or after and in today's era of added stadium security, will never happen again in an NFL game. 

Just like that day in 1980, the Bills are in a long playoff drought playing a team that has owned them (Patriots 10-1 last 11 games).  While there won't be any home field advantage, or fans storming the field, with the start of a new season, I can dream of today being the 9/7/80 of the 2000s.

766515[/snapback]

I was in high school. A friend of mine, and the only other true Bills fan I knew, was at the game. He told me he could see the stadium shake that day.

I hope this team can shake the Ralph someday too. I have a good feeling that the core is there.

That was opening day against the hated Dolphins.  The Bills had not made the playoffs the previous 5 seasons and had a losing record each of the last 4 seasons.  In addition, the opponent had beaten the Bills 20 straight times. 

Well that day the Bills opened some eyes defeating the Dolphins 17-7.  The team went on to start the season 5-0 before ending up 11-5, earning their 1st playoff berth since 1974, ushering in a new (although too short lived) era of winning Buffalo Bills football.  The pent up frustration of the fans was so evident on that day, that when the game ended, the fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts, ON OPENING DAY!  I've never seen this before or after and in today's era of added stadium security, will never happen again in an NFL game. 

Just like that day in 1980, the Bills are in a long playoff drought playing a team that has owned them (Patriots 10-1 last 11 games).  While there won't be any home field advantage, or fans storming the field, with the start of a new season, I can dream of today being the 9/7/80 of the 2000s.

766515[/snapback]

Goosebump alert

I was in high school.  A friend of mine, and the only other true Bills fan I knew, was at the game.  He told me he could see the stadium shake that day.

I hope this team can shake the Ralph someday too.  I have a good feeling that the core is there.

766520[/snapback]

The upper deck was definitely shaking that day.

After the goalposts came down, people broke them apart at the joints. One section was brought up to the top near our section because people wanted to throw it over the balcony. Security stopped them from doing that (something about not wanting to kill people walking around leaving the stadium), but we did see 1 group of fans running out of the stadium with a chunk of goalpost. I don't know if they managed to get it out of the parking lot, but they at least got it that far.

Unfortunately, my dad and uncle wouldn't let my cousin and me go down onto the field after the game, so we just hung out near the top of the stadium and watched the madness. It was pretty cool when the goalpost was brought up to us.

That game was the 1st Bills win I was ever at. :lol:

The upper deck was definitely shaking that day.

we did see 1 group of fans running out of the stadium with a chunk of goalpost.  I don't know if they managed to get it out of the parking lot, but they at least got it that far.

That game was the 1st Bills win I was ever at.  :lol:

766595[/snapback]

I can attest that they DID make it out of the parking lot ...... the group that my Dad, brothers, and I went to the game with was that group of fans. The chunk of goal post was loaded onto the school bus we all arrived on, taken back to the bar that arranged the outing, and split up between the fans (with the largest portion hung behind the bar). I was quite young at the time so I didn't get a "piece of the pie" but I do believe my dad and three brothers still have their pieces.

I can attest that they DID make it out of the parking lot ...... the group that my Dad, brothers, and I went to the game with was that group of fans. The chunk of goal post was loaded onto the school bus we all arrived on, taken back to the bar that arranged the outing, and split up between the fans (with the largest portion hung behind the bar). I was quite young at the time so I didn't get a "piece of the pie" but I do believe my dad and three brothers still have their pieces.

766611[/snapback]

Sweet.

That'd be a pretty cool "family heirloom" to pass down.