Well, THAT was an adventure...

SDS

as I was trying to make things speedier, I corrupted some indexes in the database and they had to be rebuilt.  All is well now and hopefully everything will be snappy for tomorrow!

766272[/snapback]

That explains this site being down for "5 minutes" and TSR not being effected.

That explains this site being down for "5 minutes" and TSR not being effected.

766273[/snapback]

I have them in different dbases.

I tried to optimize the "post" table here and it hung on me. Then the file was system was full. Then I cried. Then I called tech. support and he fixed my HD space (492MB of spam in one mailbox) and I actually manged to fix the dabse myself.

I'm going outside to have a cig... :o

Good fast work, Fearless Leader. Very quick response time, I must say.

Seeing the site BLANK after the page loaded must have really made your night. (That is, if that happened to you as it did to me. BTW TBD was also blank at that time. Once you got the message up, TBD returned to normal. I figure you know this, but it's feedback in case there's anything there you can use.)

BTW, Smoking's bad, you shouldn't smoke. M'Kay?

Edited by The Dean

Good fast work, Fearless Leader.  Very quick response time, I must say.

Seeing the site BLANK after the page loaded must have really made your night.  (That is, if that happened to you as it did to me.  BTW TBD was also blank at that time.  Once you got the message up, TBD returned to normal.  I figure you know this, but it's feedback in case there's anything there you can use.)

766280[/snapback]

yeah, the optimize table command hung anything dealing with that dbase. After I killed that process, everything was fine, but the loading of posts.

yeah, the optimize table command hung anything dealing with that dbase.  After I killed that process, everything was fine, but the loading of posts.

766281[/snapback]

Yeah, like i understood that.

We both know you just gave it a whack or two (the server you pervs).

Hey, adventure is O.K.

No idea what thttpd was or what or Url-Traffic-Based Throttling might refer to but it was a pleasant diversion being behind the curtain. Kudos on the fix.

And it's good to see that Repo men are still crazy as hell... I may have to register on the PROCRA board if the Bills fall behind tomorrow.

Behind The Curtain

Edited by I 90

I have them in different dbases. 

I tried to optimize the "post" table here and it hung on me.  Then the file was system was full.  Then I cried.  Then I called tech. support and he fixed my HD space (492MB of spam in one mailbox) and I actually manged to fix the dabse myself.

I'm going outside to have a cig...  :doh:

766276[/snapback]

Regardless of the posts so far its a well know fact that most of us "real deal" IT guys(well, enterprise consultants anyway) smoke - so lay off the man. You try to deal with Humans and Computers in the same existence and see how you do. I've tried to quit like no tomorrow but there's always that next project that "pulls me back in".

BTW, SDS - if you ever need help, I'm your guy(leave it at that). PM me if you want my contact info. I'm only "allowed" to do design now. But, as all good DBAs/Technical Architects should - I try to keep my hands in. The bastards(my CEO, etc.) are trying to keep me down - even though I'm the founder. :lol:

Let me know if I can help - from your post it sounds like I can. While on the topic, the site was down earlier in the week for about 40 mins, and yeah, I tested it from multiple servers.

as I was trying to make things speedier, I corrupted some indexes in the database and they had to be rebuilt.  All is well now and hopefully everything will be snappy for tomorrow!

766272[/snapback]

Better that it did it last night rather than at 4:15pm EST today.

Regardless of the posts so far its a well know fact that most of us "real deal" IT guys(well, enterprise consultants anyway) smoke - so lay off the man.

You know, the only IT guy I've worked with who smoked was my former manager (who was formerly the UNIX/Oracle admin until I took over for him). None of the storage, database, or UNIX guys smoked at my last company, or my current one. Weird...

I-90 - that link is a classic. I've read it a few times before, but it's always good for a laugh. :lol:

CW

I-90 - that link is a classic.  I've read it a few times before, but it's always good for a laugh. :doh:

CW

766567[/snapback]

And to think we luddites would have been denied the pleasure if SDS hadn't tried to cauterize or optimize some freebase something or other.

766272[/snapback]

Oops... :D

I laugh in sympathy. Been there, done that. Had to restore $100M of accidentally deleted student loan data once. :doh:

Oops...  :D

I laugh in sympathy.  Been there, done that.  Had to restore $100M of accidentally deleted student loan data once.  :doh:

766971[/snapback]

I did one worse; I corrupted our entire HR database (trying to do a restore but I messed it up). Luckily we managed to fix what I messed up... :doh: Lots of unhappy people when they don't get paid :doh:

CW