Point spread and over/under

Fezmid

The point spread for this game keeps going up and up and up. At the start of preseason is was Pats by 7.5 Halfway through preseason, it was Pats by 8.5 Now it's Pats by 10... :doh:

The over/under is 41. Seems a bit high to me, given our offense, but we'll see.

CW

The point spread for this game keeps going up and up and up.  At the start of preseason is was Pats by 7.5  Halfway through preseason, it was Pats by 8.5  Now it's Pats by 10... :doh:

765473[/snapback]

Turn that frown upside down. The great unwashed have finally found the line.

Sharper minds set the original line.

The point spread for this game keeps going up and up and up.  At the start of preseason is was Pats by 7.5  Halfway through preseason, it was Pats by 8.5  Now it's Pats by 10... :P

The over/under is 41.  Seems a bit high to me, given our offense, but we'll see.

CW

765473[/snapback]

Not to worry - it really means nothing, other than too many people were betting on New England. Opening line of any game (8.5 in this case) is more or less arbitrary, based on last season's records, personnel, preseason records, and injuries. The bookmakers try to keep the money even to avoid 'taking a bath', should...er...uh...I mean when the Bills win or 'beat the spread'. (They make their money on the 'vig'.) So as too much money is wagered on New England, they raise the spread to slow the wagering, or pull in some Buffalo wagers.

Obviously, at 8.5 most bettors/New England fans still thought the Patsies could 'cover' the spread, so they bet New England, so the spread went up. (Or, as I-90 quite eloquently stated, "the great unwashed have finally found the line.")

The over/under (41) hasn't changed at all, meaning there's a pretty good balance of wagers on either side.

My prognostication, as posted previously -

Bills 31

Pats 10 (meaningless Q4 TD to spoil over/under, after call to refs from 'Rocco in Vegas', causing LABillzFan to "schitt purple twinkies." :doh: )

The point spread for this game keeps going up and up and up.  At the start of preseason is was Pats by 7.5  Halfway through preseason, it was Pats by 8.5  Now it's Pats by 10... :doh:

The over/under is 41.  Seems a bit high to me, given our offense, but we'll see.

CW

765473[/snapback]

Hmmm.....Seems like the national media is driving the perception of this game. Have the Pats played that well or is Buffalo just being written off? There's been a lot of belly aching on this site about how the "analysts" are beating up the Bills. I wonder how many people will put their money where their mouth is and take advantage of that injustice?

Hmmm.....Seems like the national media is driving the perception of this game.  Have the Pats played that well or is Buffalo just being written off?  There's been a lot of belly aching on this site about how the "analysts" are beating up the Bills.  I wonder how many people will put their money where their mouth is and take advantage of that injustice?

765630[/snapback]

I put a little down on Buffalo to win outright -- but I don't think that'll happen, just wishful thinking.

CW

I put a little down on Buffalo to win outright -- but I don't think that'll happen, just wishful thinking.

CW

765659[/snapback]

Now you're talkin' CRAZY!!!

I like the points. Usually BB gameplans a team to make them play "left-handed". I think he will have trouble putting his game plan together because he won't have a ton of info regarding the blocking schemes and tendencies of the Bills offense because this mix of coaches is new. If the Bills come out strong and can move the ball they can keep it close. Plus picking up Seau and plugging him right in seems to be a reach. Not to mention scrambling for Gabriel and plugging him right in also.

JP just needs to stay away from bad turnovers, run for a few first downs and take what they give him.

I no longer bet on Bills games...i've lost too much money and i'd never bet against them because i'd be !@#$ed if they won.

I'll bet on any other team though. :doh:

765718[/snapback]

The last Bills game I bet on was SB 25 when I bet a friend of mine $100 that the Bills would score at least 20 points. I decided then and there I'd never lay money on them again.

CW

765659[/snapback]

Just for schitts and giggles, I put $25 on the Bills straight up at 4:1 odds. If I win I'll take my wife out to dinner courtesy of the Patriots. :doh: