The Important Points for the Bills from Last Night

Pyrite Gal

1. One needs to look at things one game at a time and the Bills will have an even tougher time Sunday if they worry about Game 2 versus the Fins. However, we fans are not the team and we can worry about what we want and this is the next game for the Fins so discussion is reasonable.

The Bills game is essentially a must-win game (as much as any Game 2 can be) for the Fins. It is a division game which is always important and it is at home for therm. They could be lose (we will see how the Bills look on Sunday) because they have a number of clear weaknesses. and if they do at 0-2 with a loss in the division and a history besides last year of end of the season implosions the table would be set for this to be a very bad season.

Ironically, even if the Bills lose to the Pats, the season would not be over (just in very bad shape) as they would be facing 2 losses to division opponents but road losses with NYJ coming to town is not desirable but not a clear sign we are doomed.

I think next week will be as close to a must win for the Fish as you can get anyway you cut it.

2. Last night's game also has to give some hope to those who have concluded the Bills are gonna be bad. Both these teams, one the most recent winner of the SB and the other picked to win this year's SB by some (who are already looking like fools) showed they ae easily capable of playing badly and losing to a bad team.

Perhaps the Bills are so much worse than Pitts that MI would not fall victim the way they did last night. Perhaps the Bills are so bad that Pitts would not need to be saved in the final half of the 4th quarter to win comfortably. However, I suspect that the refs can blow a call like they did last night on Miller's OB misstep and Saban can lamely and ineffectively throw the red flag against a bad team just as much as he could against a good team.

Even if one is confident and even substantially right about the Bills problems, it is clear from last nights foray that on any given day anyone can lose to anyone.

I think last night's foray has to give some realistic hope even to those who seem to be sure we are doomed. Our problems are clear on paper, but the game simply is not player on paper.

[in my best John Madden voice...]

I think the thing ya have to take away from the game last night is that, in the National Football League, ya have to go out there and just play the game a football. The thing ya wanna have is the type a guy where ya say, here's a football guy. Now, yer talkin' about the type a guy, he's just a football player. He's a guy he's just gonna go out there and play football, that's just what he does there. Now, when ya have that type a thing, yer gonna go out there and you're gonna see some football. That's the type a thing ya really like to see. That's the thing there.

[in my best John Madden voice...]

I think the thing ya have to take away from the game last night is that, in the National Football League, ya have to go out there and just play the game a football.  The thing ya wanna have is the type a guy where ya say, here's a football guy.  Now, yer talkin' about the type a guy, he's just a football player.  He's a guy he's just gonna go out there and play football, that's just what he does there.  Now, when ya have that type a thing, yer gonna go out there and you're gonna see some football.  That's the type a thing ya really like to see.  That's the thing there.

765290[/snapback]

Fantastic.....that was pretty close to the real thing..... :doh::P:P:P

If you don't treat every game like a must-win, you don't deserve to be in the NFL.  I hope they're concentrating (not worried) about this week.  What happens next week is next week's business.

765262[/snapback]

I agree that every team must treat every game as must win. I think this shows a big difference between we fans and the players in that we can launch off into any flight of fancy and fantasy football which we choose with no cost to the team really.

I guess there are little things like them being among the best athletes on the planet which explain (if not justifies) them being paid huge amounts of $ to play a boys game while we sit at home and in the office with our little computers leading a virtual life.

However, as we do not get the big bucks I think we at least deserve flights of fancy and looking a little ahead (even with all the caveats in my original post which are consistent with your views) a little since this has no real impact on the game.