Third Down Defense

Coach Tuesday

Sorry, if you're looking for a "rah rah" thread, go elsewhere.  While I think the Bills will be more fun to root for this season, I seriously doubt they'll win more than 4-6 games.  And I think one of the biggest culprits will be third down defense.

They've switched to the cover-2, meaning less blitzing and more reliance on passrush by the front four, especially on passing downs.  They don't have an elite passrusher, and their tackles aren't likely to consistently put pressure up the middle.  As good as the corners are, they can't cover for more than a few seconds (no corner can).  The result should look a lot like the Colts D before they drafted Freeney - not a pretty sight.  I'm seriously concerned that the Bills D will have a ton of difficulty getting off the field, and it could get ugly fast this Sunday.  The Pats and Brady are a good (difficult) first test.  They excel at third-down offense and exploiting soft zones, and have unveiled a nasty two TE set this preseason that will give the Bills' young strong safeties (Wire and Whitner) fits.  Next year's shopping list has a passrusher at the top.

Anyway, in a sense, Fairchild's offense may be the perfect complement.  If you don't get your offense on the field much because your third down D is weak, you'd better be able to hit the big play to score quickly.

Sorry for the rambling, feel free to blast me or add your thoughts.

763517[/snapback]

Your right. I bet Dick Jauron and Staff never thought of that. :D