JP's quotes say it all about last year's coaching

Albany,n.y.

From his interview on BB.com on TBD front page:

Like coach says, we’re not going to come out with crazy stuff, we just have to be smarter and sharper.

On the team being different this year

Yeah, it’s a lot different. Not to say the last two years were bad. (We have) different types of players. It’s a different team and locker room with a different attitude, you’ve been in there. If things don’t go right, it’s not going to be like last year with guys getting on each other.

Verdict: Mike Mularkey guilty of crazy call coaching and coaching a divided locker room.

Like coach says, we’re not going to come out with crazy stuff, we just have to be smarter and sharper.

Yeah, it’s a lot different. Not to say the last two years were bad. (We have) different types of players. It’s a different team and locker room with a different attitude, you’ve been in there. If things don’t go right, it’s not going to be like last year with guys getting on each other.

Verdict:  Mike Mularkey guilty of crazy call coaching and coaching a divided locker room.

763299[/snapback]

And a multitude of other sins too numerous to mention.

763299[/snapback]

And no mention of Yoda. A lot of things to like about this year.

His comments were pretty tame next to these guys.

"I think last year was probably my most frustrating year in professional football," said Fletcher, an eight-year veteran. "I was just like, `Man, let me get this nightmare over with because it's just one thing after another."'
...or as guard Chris Villarrial said: "We were coming apart at the seams."

Verdict:  Mike Mularkey guilty of crazy call coaching and coaching a divided locker room.

763299[/snapback]

Coaching is a very difficult thing to do- and I think we got a great one right now

If Mularkey had called Ralph & Marv's bluff, I'm almost certain that after a period of re-evaluation, Marv would have fired Mularkey even if he hadn't resigned. I can't see any way that Mularkey could still be coaching this team after what has come out about last year's nonsense.

...and if Miami does well and Mularkey joins Gregg Williams as a hot assistant coach, any team that is even thinking of hiring the guy as a head coach should just read all the quotes and come to their senses.

My football fantasy is that Saban gets mad at Huizenga, quits & Mularkey is named head coach of the Dolphins.

...and if Miami does well and Mularkey joins Gregg Williams as a hot assistant coach, any team that is even thinking of hiring the guy as a head coach should just read all the quotes and come to their senses. 

My football fantasy is that Saban gets mad at Huizenga, quits & Mularkey is named head coach of the Dolphins.

763346[/snapback]

The difference though is that Gregg Williams, I believe, will one day be a very, very good head coach. He was just to green when he came to Buffalo. I felt that way when he left, and watching him in DC only reinforces that point for me.

MM on the other hand, might be in over his head at the HC level.

There's little doubt in my mind that Mularkey lost control of the team last year. However, just assuming it's going to be different this time around is a mistake. How many coaches lose control of the locker room during their first pre-season. If I recall correctly there were plenty of these types of posts during the pre-season of Mularkey's first year as well. Everybody was happy to see GW leave and were posting things like, "no bullhorns at 6am this year!"

I'll wait and see how this team responds to the coaches on (and off) the field before I start getting too excited about the direction of the team.

There's little doubt in my mind that Mularkey lost control of the team last year.  However, just assuming it's going to be different this time around is a mistake.  How many coaches lose control of the locker room during their first pre-season.  If I recall correctly there were plenty of these types of posts during the pre-season of Mularkey's first year as well.  Everybody was happy to see GW leave and were posting things like, "no bullhorns at 6am this year!"

I'll wait and see how this team responds to the coaches on (and off) the field before I start getting too excited about the direction of the team.

763353[/snapback]

I'll take Jauron's record of never having mass dissent on any team he's coached, coupled with the compliments of former players, to safely predict that he will not lose control of the team.

I think Jauron is the perfect coach for this team at this time.

There's little doubt in my mind that Mularkey lost control of the team last year.  However, just assuming it's going to be different this time around is a mistake.  How many coaches lose control of the locker room during their first pre-season.  If I recall correctly there were plenty of these types of posts during the pre-season of Mularkey's first year as well.  Everybody was happy to see GW leave and were posting things like, "no bullhorns at 6am this year!"

763353[/snapback]

The main reason, IMO, that the team blew up last year was because of 2004. They finished on a high note except for the last game. Willis had his breakout season. The defense had a ton of turnovers and sacks and finished #2 in the league. The defense was building themselves up as the greatest defense in history, and Jerry Gray was going to get a HC job next year. The offense was building itself up to have Willis gain 2000 yards.

This wasn't TD either, this was the players themselves. Moulds thought he finally was going to win something. Spikes thought he was going to win something. Milloy thought he was getting revenge on the Pats. Vincent thought he had a chance at a ring. Adams thought he was going back to the Bowl.

And then sometime around the first quarter of the Tampa game, the Bills dressing room because a roadside in Iraq. Suddenly the defense was terrible. TKO was gone. Milloy and Vincent were hurt and couldn't tackle anyone. JP had the look of a terrified wombat in the huddle. And their delusions of grandeur just imploded as the RPGs started to go off. Moulds realized he blew his whole career in Buffalo. Willis realized he wasn't going to get 200 more yards let alone 2000 and packed it in. Adams blew up in his own fat. Mularkey had no idea what to do, and amazingly ignored the one thing that saved his 2004 season, to "stay the course". Jerry Gray saw his coaching career go up in flames. And it turned into Lord of the Flies.

The expectations caused the clusterfukk more than anything else. That ain't going to happen. Milloy and Moulds and Adams and Jerry Gray are gone. TKO has something to prove. JP and Vincent are fighting for their jobs and careers, not the Super Bowl. The fans have low aspirations, too.

763353[/snapback]

Exactly.

I did, however, appreciate DJ's cautionary comment the other day to the media that said something like (paraphrasing here) "everything always looks good until the first bit of adversity sets in". That shows DJ's experience at coaching at this level - the guy has been through the wars.

These guys don't even realize it yet, but they are going to be sorry.

Just wait until they find out there's no cheeseburgers before the games.

763370[/snapback]

They played like they had cheeseburgers in the huddle.

I'll take Jauron's record of never having mass dissent on any team he's coached, coupled with the compliments of former players, to safely predict that he will not lose control of the team. 

I think Jauron is the perfect coach for this team at this time.

763361[/snapback]

Thank you. Comparing Jauron to Mularkey as a HC is a freaking insult to Jauron. Have you heard ONE player talk about a divided locker room w/ Jauron or "craziness" in how the team was run? To the contrary, did you see how the Detroit players approached him following the preseason game last Thursday? This guy has the respect of his players, his coaches, and the organization. Does that mean the Bills will win? No, but it certainly points us in the right direction.

The main reason, IMO, that the team blew up last year was because of 2004. They finished on a high note except for the last game. Willis had his breakout season. The defense had a ton of turnovers and sacks and finished #2 in the league. The defense was building themselves up as the greatest defense in history, and Jerry Gray was going to get a HC job next year. The offense was building itself up to have Willis gain 2000 yards.

This wasn't TD either, this was the players themselves. Moulds thought he finally was going to win something. Spikes thought he was going to win something. Milloy thought he was getting revenge on the Pats. Vincent thought he had a chance at a ring. Adams thought he was going back to the Bowl.

And then sometime around the first quarter of the Tampa game, the Bills dressing room because a roadside in Iraq. Suddenly the defense was terrible. TKO was gone. Milloy and Vincent were hurt and couldn't tackle anyone. JP had the look of a terrified wombat in the huddle. And their delusions of grandeur just imploded as the RPGs started to go off. Moulds realized he blew his whole career in Buffalo. Willis realized he wasn't going to get 200 more yards let alone 2000 and packed it in. Adams blew up in his own fat. Mularkey had no idea what to do, and amazingly ignored the one thing that saved his 2004 season, to "stay the course". Jerry Gray saw his coaching career go up in flames. And it turned into Lord of the Flies.

The expectations caused the clusterfukk more than anything else. That ain't going to happen. Milloy and Moulds and Adams and Jerry Gray are gone. TKO has something to prove. JP and Vincent are fighting for their jobs and careers, not the Super Bowl. The fans have low aspirations, too.

763377[/snapback]

I totally agree with this assessment, except I think it was downhill from the moment they released DB and handed the job to JP. Except for the fact that they totally came in ill-prepared for the Pittsburgh game last season (the coaches fault IMHO), they had as you say, a lot of reason for optimism. While Drew was never going to lead us to the SB, I think we had a real shot at the playoffs, especially when you look back at how weak the AFC East turned out to be last season.

I think many of the vets were already of the mind-set things were going to suck, and this contributed to the problems at the outset. I'm sure they saw it as a decision to let the kid learn ala Mannings and Palmer, and that they were already writing off the season.

While I never thought Drew would have gotten us to the SB, the decision to dump DB was the biggest mistake the former regime made. The seond worst was to not stick with JP and let him take his lumps and get the experience. The third worse was getting Holcomb to be the go to vet in the event JP struggled.

Not re-signing Pat Williams in hindsight was a big mistake. He had a good year last year and looks to have another good one THIS year. Without him the defense fell apart as well. So given that, the release of Bledsoe, and crappy play-calling from Mularkey, the Bills were doomed from the start. Add-in Spikes' injury and you got a 5-11 season.

Exactly. 

I did, however, appreciate DJ's cautionary comment the other day to the media that said something like (paraphrasing here) "everything always looks good until the first bit of adversity sets in".  That shows DJ's experience at coaching at this level - the guy has been through the wars.

763532[/snapback]

This is a bit off topic but your post reminded me of one of my all time favorite sports quotes, "Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the face." One could almost say that Mike Tyson sounds intelligent in that quote.