Don't be surprised...

...that we lose some games because of controversial calls this year.

I know this sounds paranoid, but I'm expecting the overwhwlming media bias against the Bills will filter down to the referees. Since we know our Invis-bills are never ever noted on ESPN, and periodically trashed on radio stations across the country, you can expect the referees who will hear this nonsense, will have very little respect for our beloved team. This will translate to very bad timing of the little yellow flags thrown against our heroes.

Then, if that wasn't enough, there is the NFL agenda of big market teams or "traditional promotable" teams such as Pitt or GB (see last year's Toilet Bowl), that will get those mysterious calls at the right time every time, or in our case the wrong time, all the time.

I believe this will set us back at least three wins this year starting with the opener. It will be impossible to win a tight game in their home park.

I know some of you will say I'm nuts, but we do have an interesting history of games as such, don't we?

...that we lose some games because of controversial calls this year.

I know this sounds paranoid, but I'm expecting the overwhwlming media bias against the Bills will filter down to the referees. Since we know our Invis-bills are never ever noted on ESPN, and periodically trashed on radio stations across the country, you can expect the referees who will hear this nonsense, will have very little respect for our beloved team. This will translate to very bad timing of the little yellow flags thrown against our heroes.

Then, if that wasn't enough, there is the NFL agenda of big market teams or "traditional promotable" teams such as Pitt or GB (see last year's Toilet Bowl), that will get those mysterious calls at the right time every time, or in our case the wrong time, all the time.

I believe this will set us back at least three wins this year starting with the opener. It will be impossible to win a tight game in their home park.

I know some of you will say I'm nuts, but we do have an interesting history of games as such, don't we?

762884[/snapback]

I'd be more shocked if there wasn't a fishy refs call for the Pats.

PTR

There was a time when I might have agreed, but 'Cigarette Smoking Man' is long dead. :wacko:

Nothing will stop us. Not the zebras, not the 'call from Rocco' in Las Vegas, nothing!

Bills 31

Pats 10 (meaningless Q4 TD to spoil the over/under - but only after 'call from Rocco' in Las Vegas)

Bet the house.

There was a time when I might have agreed, but 'Cigarette Smoking Man' is long dead. :wacko:

Nothing will stop us.  Not the zebras, not the 'call from Rocco' in Las Vegas, nothing!

Bills 31

Pats 10 (meaningless Q4 TD to spoil the over/under - but only after 'call from Rocco' in Las Vegas)

Bet the house.

762943[/snapback]

No chit. That line is ridiculous. No NFL line should be that big.

762976[/snapback]

You watched these two teams at the end of last season; based on that, where would you set the line?

(Good thing this isn't last season.... :wacko: )

762976[/snapback]

What's interesting is that the line, which is now at 9, has an ova/unda of 41.5 I'll be curious as to how that plays out during the week, but from my own experience, getting that many points in an opener is a nice bet.

Incidentally, the pick of the week: Cincy getting 2 1/2 vs. Kansas City. I particularly like a parlay to the over 46.

You're onto something, Mike. I have a friend who refs rec basketball games. He says that if he knows one team is better than another and thinks there's a foul but didn't exactly see it, he'll call it on the less-talented team. I told him that's bad officiating and a symptom of him not being able to see ALL of the action.

Take is a step further in the pro leagues where you have world class athletes being officiated by lardazzes with non-20/20 vision, and you get the picture. That's why I think there should be full-time refs, so that in the off-season these guys are kept fit and working year-round on getting better.

You watched these two teams at the end of last season; based on that, where would you set the line?

(Good thing this isn't last season.... :wacko: )

762986[/snapback]

Last time they played in Foxboro, under FAR worse conditions, the Bills nearly won the game.

That's what's making my phone dialing finger itchy.

Last time they played in Foxboro, under FAR worse conditions, the Bills nearly won the game.

That's what's making my phone dialing finger itchy.

763030[/snapback]

I wouldn't touch that game.

Even with Batch, I really like the Steelers -1 tomorrow night, this article only strengthened my convictions. :wacko:

I haven't looked that closely at all of Sunday's games yet, but I do like the GMen getting points at home. :wacko:

Mike, I disagree with your post because I refuse to believe that professional referees specifically target (or assist) any given team.

The only credence I give to your inference is that I do believe a team's reputation for either clean or dirty play may influence close calls. If the least-penalized and most-penalized teams are playing each other and there's a close call, I think it is human nature for a ref who didn't see it clearly to err on the side of the "clean" team.

...that the Bills lose some games because our defense can't get off the field and the offense struggles in red zone production!!!

763076[/snapback]

With PP and Evans scoring on 40+ yard RAC, the RZ O won't be an issue. :wacko: