Don't think the Pats are

SuperBills12

Article -

"There's some carryover with some of the offensive coaches, but there's a lot of newness - a lot of new players," Belichick said. "I'm sure that they've held some things back. I'm sure that we'll get some looks different than what they've shown.

"It's a lot to prepare for when you start looking at all of the stuff they potentially could do, but I think we have to be careful about defending ghosts instead of defending things that they could do. We have to stop what we know they can do. We know some of their key players and how we're going to have to try to prepare to stop them. There are a lot of wrinkles they could throw in there. We're not going to be able to get ready for all of them."

"The fact that the Patriots have won 10 of their last 11 games against Buffalo almost means nothing at this point. These aren't the same Bills.

"I think, generally speaking, this is one of the harder games of the year to get ready for because of the things that teams can hold back," Belichick said"

I never for one second would assume that the coach would underestimate any team. I'm sure they would do everything in their power to be ready for any contingency etc & plan for each match as if it were their last blah, blah, blah.

It's the players who IMO can underestimate a team. If the players believe deep inside that the match they are about to play is an easy win, it is a very hard job for the coach to 'convince' them otherwise.

I feel there is a decent chance the Patriots players might be in this 'easy win' mode.

I bloody hope so. :wacko:

I think our strategy should be to run McGahee if we can. He has been somewhat successful against the Patriots. Clock control and a running game that goes first down after first down does what Parcells did to us in the first superbowl...keep a future Hall of Fame quarterback and a high powered offense on the bench. Bruschi is injured there have been some defensive losses and I think that is the way to go. If the running game is effective, and BB is forced to adjust (which he is known to do) then Evans and Price can get free for some very long passes to keep them honest. I have a feeling that we are going to be 4-3 at the bye week and one of those wins will be the Pats.

Your coaches may tell you not to look past the Bills, but you go home from practice and put on ESPN...Peter King says the Bills suck...Jay Glazer says they are the worst franchise top-to-bottom...Best Damn Sports Show is making fun of the Bills...Fred Smerlas is ripping the Bills on WEEI....How can a Patriot player NOT feel the Bills are a bunch of clowns?

PTR

Your coaches may tell you not to look past the Bills, but you go home from practice and put on ESPN...Peter King says the Bills suck...Jay Glazer says they are the worst franchise top-to-bottom...Best Damn Sports Show is making fun of the Bills...Fred Smerlas is ripping the Bills on WEEI....How can a Patriot player NOT feel the Bills are a bunch of clowns?

PTR

762885[/snapback]

I'm guessing a lot of players, including many who have had to deal w/ the media personally, don't take what they say as gospel. Then again, that's an "outsider looking in" observation.

PTR

762885[/snapback]

This is why Bellichick is an outstanding coach. He knows what the media is saying and that his players might be feeling a little overconfident. So he puts out these comments publicly to get his players not to get too cocky. He also, at the same time, shows the Bills respect, to counteract any chip on the shoulders the media has supplied them over and over again.

Good move on BB's part.

PTR

762885[/snapback]

Because professional athletes, unlike you and some other Bills fans here, do not hang on every word these "experts" like Colin Cownerd or whoever say and yearn for attention from ESPN all the time.

This is a division game and the home opener for New England, why in the world would anyone think New England is looking past this game?

I think our strategy should be to run McGahee if we can.  He has been somewhat successful against the Patriots.  Clock control and a running game that goes first down after first down does what Parcells did to us in the first superbowl...keep a future Hall of Fame quarterback and a high powered offense on the bench.  Bruschi is injured there have been some defensive losses and I think that is the way to go.  If the running game is effective, and BB is forced to adjust (which he is known to do) then Evans and Price can get free for some very long passes to keep them honest. I have a feeling that we are going to be 4-3 at the bye week and one of those wins will be the Pats.

762883[/snapback]

Isn't that Pats biggest weakness on Defense their secondary? Last year people threw all over them.

I would attack them with a lot of 4 receiver sets.

I think there big weakness is at linebacker (Junior Seau starting at 38?) and if Bruschi is out we should be able to eat the clock. I'm not a huge McGahee fan, but I really think he can take care of business on this game. I'm not all that impressed with their secondary either, but I think the running game again and again is the best way to neutralize the Patriots real threat, the offense. I reallly think we have a good chance to beat these guys. If we establish the run and force BB to "cheat" on defense to deal with it, Evans and Price will finish them off with a few long passes. Establishing the run game will assist Losman and our question mark at offensive line pass protection.

There's no friggin way the pats are looking past this game. They are clearly the best team over the past 5 years with the best coaching in the NFL. They didn't get that way by looking past ANY game.

I doubt they are looking past the Bills because they have enough question marks about their own team that they will not really know who they are until after the first game (likely games) this season.

They always had Vinateri who was not only virtually automatic (which shortened the field considerably) but he was clutch in crunch time and that was part of their make-up and psyche and this team will not be looking past the first game in this regard.

They also have questions at LB where not only is Brueschi suffering from injuries but Junior Seau crawled out of retirement to actually start.

The WR spot sees not only Branch being a major issue but they will not have leading WRs Givens an Childress from last year.

They WRs are such a wildcard that they will not know for sure whether Tom Brady can make these guys good until after they perform, there really is not a clear world to look beyond the Bills to.

The question is not so much whether they are looking past but simply undersestimating the Bills. If so this is only true in a general way as everyone has to be pretty clear that when it comes down to specifics there is no there yet to estimate regarding the Bills,

I'm sure like everyone, the players have considered the full schedule and mapped out a range of Ws they think they can achieve. I doubt many have the Pats at anything other than 2-0 after facing two division opponents in their first two games since NYJ is next. Its the making of this estimation which i think its human nature to make which may have the Pats simply waiting for Brady or someone else to win this one for them where they may be looking ahead.

We're gonna have to mix the coverag scheme up between man-to-man and zone andto sometimes have the safett cover him and sometimes the LB. Brady is a cool customer who can figure out the coverage on each play, but can you imagine how easy it will be for him if we do not vary or try to disguise a lot of the coverage.

One thing I do tend toward is having my CBs do tight press coverage on the WRs. They are not Pro Bowl caliber players and if McGee and Clements shut them down it will really reduce the options which Brady has to pick and choose among.

If he tries to pick on the transition from the press coverage by CBs to the safeties playing centerfield in the Cover 2 or MLB in the Tampa 2 version, the pass rush will get a hair more time and needs to pressure Brady a lot.