I want to be the first ......

macaroni

Nope...best win since 2003 opener.

PTR

762597[/snapback]

After all the losing the Bills have done in recent years and the fact that this game is on the road I'd say that a win this week would definitely be more satisfying than that win. Going into the 2003 opener most thought the Bills had a decent shot at winning that game particularly with the Pats coming off a disappointing season.

When I first saw the schedule, as is typical of Bills fans I immediately cursed the conspiracy which had given us a sure loss in Jauron/Levy's first game.

However, as time has passed, i now am feeling quite happy about the fact that one way or the other we had to go into Pats land to play and I am quite happy to see it be the first game.

1. Along with going into Indy, this looks like our toughest game on paper (though the game is not played on paper so we will see what reality brings). In almost any case, this team is going to need some time to find its legs, but even when it does this is gonna be a tough game to win in their house. I'm not sure that saving it til later would give us a much better chance of winning so getting out of the way and using it as a learning experience (whether it is learning how to win or how to lose) is gonna be good and necessary for this team.

2, It really is the best way to face BB. We saw in his first game against Bledsoe where he essentially undressed a player and team he knew well, what BB can do with a little time. he had a full off-season of time to prepare for the Bills, but to preapre for what?

Not only is in quite unclear how we are going to actually run the O and D beyond the general declaration that the D is a Cover 2 and the O is St. L style, this team is pretty much a blank page. We have no tendencies yet. I think the pick-up of Fast Freddy is probably an indicator that BB wants Bills intelligence badly (as well as showing an area the Pats need some help in).

Looking at our depth chart and thinking back to the usual vanilla pre-season gameplanning I am quite pleased that we are facing BB now rather than later when he could get more fully prepared.

3. This certain loss has really improved to a remotely possible win. I think one of the missing elements in the calculations of many Bills partisans who look at last year's sorry team and predict DDOOOMMM is that the other key element in predicting game outcomes is the state of our opponent.

When one looks at the occurences and development of teams like GB, TN and of course our friends NYJ whom we play twice even conceding we will be bad, these teams (plus some of our other opponents) can easily be worse. On the face of it, if I ranked our opponents as to whether they got better or got worse compared to last season almost all of them have gotten worse IMHO.

Among them is the Pats as best as I can tell who obviously started at a lofty height to get worse from, but between their big problems at WR, their problems at LB where getting an over the hill guy like Seau might actually improve this unit and losing the best PK in the NFL, the Pats really have gotten markedly worse on paper. Perhaps this will be a true showing of how great BB is if he can meet all these challenges, but the prediction of some Pats fans that they will win 14 games this season seem as laughable to me as predictions we will make the playoffs. It could happen but I would not bet even the neighbors ranch and dog on it.

no it is not . it would be a very good win but no way is it a must win . if they can play them close it will be a good job by the team and something to build on .

762553[/snapback]

Divisional games are always a must win if you want playoffs.