Just talked with Terrance Pennington's Mom

AKC

Apparently our new OLineman is on top of the world having been issued his old #79. I pointed out that the number had been kind to a previous Bill's lineman ;-)

His Parents and Godparents are joining our group of Bill's fans for the opener in Santa Monica at 3110 Santa Monica Blvd (Busbys). They'll be among other Bill's player's family members watching the game with us. PM me for more info-

Apparently our new OLineman is on top of the world having been issued his old #79. I pointed out that the number had been kind to a previous Bill's lineman ;-)

His Parents and Godparents are joining our group of Bill's fans for the opener in Santa Monica at 3110 Santa Monica Blvd (Busbys). They'll be among other Bill's player's family members watching the game with us. PM me for more info-

762213[/snapback]

Didn't they used to live next to OJ in East Amherst?

Glad for Terrance he made the team, but I hope he doesn't see the field much this year.

762242[/snapback]

If he does, that would mean Brad Butler would already be out there...which is a thought I'd rather not have again.

I hope he does well.  We sure could use all the quality linemen we can find.

If I were anywhere close by, I'd go to Busbys, if only to kick your a** for not showing up for the Saints game, AKC.

762238[/snapback]

Rich, what position did he play in college. I saw him at LT vs. the Lions, and he looked out of position. From my standpoint, he looked like he could be a good RT.

What do YOU think? :angry:

Rich, what position did he play in college. I saw him at LT vs. the Lions, and he looked out of position. From my standpoint, he looked like he could be a good RT.

What do YOU think?  :angry:

762260[/snapback]

I admit, I knew very little of Pennington. Only what I read about in guides and such. Most seem to feel that he's a project w/ some upside, so to get him late wasn't so bad. He does have good size, and is strong, so maybe he can do well as a fill in RT. Then again, he's been described as a guy w/ little in the way of explosion off the snap, which is crucial for linemen who have size but not great lateral quickness (another thing I've read about him). All in all, I'd say it was a nice late round pick. If he develops, we've gone a long way towards fixing our problems. If not, it's just another wasted late round pick; nothing new to us.

The scouting report on Pennington at the combine paints a much different picture RRich. He graded out the 6th most athletic O-lineman at the February festivities and he did play OLT at New Mexico. He has long arms and pretty good strength for a 7th rounder. He is yet another example of how deep this draft was in talent. Simply put, another thought is that he beat out two veteran players for a roster spot....NOT TOO BAD!!! Maybe Jim McNally is all he's cracked up to be as a line coach?!?!

Awesome. Any other Bills fans in the LA vacinity better start coming there, too. Show up, and no one needs to senselessly die.

762304[/snapback]

I've also left a message for Aaron Merz's family, although they're up north 90 minutes. If you can think of any other families in the area we should reach out to them-

I hope he does well.  We sure could use all the quality linemen we can find.

If I were anywhere close by, I'd go to Busbys, if only to kick your a** for not showing up for the Saints game, AKC.

762238[/snapback]

Soon enough we'll get to the same game, I want to launch this Bill's Bar the first half of the 2006 season.

762213[/snapback]

You forget, Ruben Brown absolutely sucked and was a reach in the 1st round. :angry:

The scouting report on Pennington at the combine paints a much different picture RRich. He graded out the 6th most athletic O-lineman at the February festivities and he did play OLT at New Mexico. He has long arms and pretty good strength for a 7th rounder. He is yet another example of how deep this draft was in talent. Simply put, another thought is that he beat out two veteran players for a roster spot....NOT TOO BAD!!! Maybe Jim McNally is all he's cracked up to be as a line coach?!?!

762323[/snapback]

Again, I have to defer to what I've read about him. This one is from Scouts.inc, who does the bios for ESPN and does a terrific job:

Strengths: Takes good angles to blocks, moves well for size and can get into position quickly. Possesses excellent bulk, can engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack. Has good upper body strength, uses strong hands to lock onto defender's frame and can sustain blocks once in position. Possesses adequate initial quickness, has a wide frame and uses long arms to ride edge rushers past the pocket. Gets adequate knee bend in pass set and can hold ground working against bull rushers. Shows good footwork and flashes the ability to redirect inside after starting outside. Shows good awareness, generally does a good job of keeping head up and can adjust to blitzes and stunts.

Weaknesses: While has good upper body strength, doesn't knock defenders back with a violent initial punch, doesn't roll hips into blocks and needs to be more physical at the point of attack. Lacks ideal range and has problems turning the corner when asked to pull or trap. Doesn't have an explosive first step, takes too long to get hands up when getting into pass set and has problems preventing edge rushers from turning the corner. Has had some problems keeping weight down in the past, is vulnerable to wearing down when gets too heavy and conditioning will always be critical to success.

Overall: New Mexico red-shirted Pennington during his true freshman season in 2001. He started three of the 12 games he appeared in during the 2002 season. Pennington started one of the five games he appeared in during the 2003 season. He started 12 games in 2004 and 11 games in 2005. Pennington is a blue-collar player that possesses an excellent blend of size, strength and athletic ability but he isn't dominant in any one area. He isn't an overpowering drive blocker and he lacks the explosiveness to hold his own on an island in pass protection. Pennington should get a chance to make an NFL roster as a late-round selection in the 2006 draft.