Idiocracy

Cugalabanza

Idiocracy

In case anyone's curious, Idiocracy is out in limited release. Lucky for me, Atlanta is one of the test markets. This movie is really funny! The premise: average guy from the present gets frozen and wakes up 500 years in the future, where he is easily the most intelligent person in the world. Really great satire of how moronic our culture is.

If you liked Beavis & Butthead and Office Space, you will want to see this movie. Hopefully it will open nationwide soon.

Is there a trailer for this floating around?  Can't find one.

762090[/snapback]

Actually, no.

It's all quite strange. Fox seems to be screwing Mike Judge over on this one. They have not promoted this movie at all. In fact, it was on the shelf for a while--I think it was completed over a year ago. I read an interview with Mike Judge where he expressed how frustrated he is with all these idiot movie executives. Apparently, Mike Judge and others who worked on the movie were very excited about the project, but the execs gave them nothing but grief.

I think it may have something to do with corporate pressure. Some key companies get mocked pretty hard in the movie and there may have been some backlash. I'm not sure this will ever see the wide release that I think it deserves. It might (like Office Space) have to wait for cable and dvd for a large number of people to see it.

Actually, no.

It's all quite strange.  Fox seems to be screwing Mike Judge over on this one.  They have not promoted this movie at all.  In fact, it was on the shelf for a while--I think it was completed over a year ago.  I read an interview with Mike Judge where he expressed how frustrated he is with all these idiot movie executives.  Apparently, Mike Judge and others who worked on the movie were very excited about the project, but the execs gave them nothing but grief.

I think it may have something to do with corporate pressure.  Some key companies get mocked pretty hard in the movie and there may have been some backlash.  I'm not sure this will ever see the wide release that I think it deserves.  It might (like Office Space) have to wait for cable and dvd for a large number of people to see it.

762111[/snapback]

And that's too bad. I believe Mike Judge is one of the best satirists out there. And like you, I've been waiting a long time for "Idiocracy".

My favorite TV show is "King of the Hill", which I think is TV's only true example of satire. There are those who howl that it's nowhere near as good as "Beavis and Butthead", but while B&B had its moments of genius, KOTH is far more consistent and watchable to boot.

Mike