Today's Liberal/Conservative Rants

That's the way they look at it.  They think they are linked together as one.  I have a friend who cannot believe that I don't believe in abortion and also don't believe in God.

762185[/snapback]

I know. It's really more like one and a half.

But for that matter, the writer may as well have thrown in gay marriage. That would be THREE "one things".

That's the way they look at it.  They think they are linked together as one.  I have a friend who cannot believe that I don't believe in abortion and also don't believe in God.

762185[/snapback]

That's because religion and its followers think their brand has a monopoly on morality. I believe that it's perfectly logical to have morality without religion. The deeply religious don't understand this because half of them have bought a bill of goods that tells them people are inherently bad, when a non religious, high moraled person generally believes people are inherently good. Logic says you don't kill or hurt other people. A lot of people think you need a comandment from God to figure that out. I believe you don't.

The whiny Liberal:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=512621

The whiny Conservative:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=513559

Don't ya just love the "I'm better than you" mentality that these guys have? :wacko:

761891[/snapback]

And this is why I'm seriously thinking about becoming a Libertarian.

Good God.

Mike

That's because religion and its followers think their brand has a monopoly on morality.  I believe that it's perfectly logical to have morality without religion.  The deeply religious don't understand this because half of them have bought a bill of goods that tells them people are inherently bad, when a non religious, high moraled person generally believes people are inherently good.  Logic says you don't kill or hurt other people. A lot of people think you need a comandment from God to figure that out.  I believe you don't.

762496[/snapback]

Great post. I wholeheartedly agree. I've also never understood why morality is considered "conservative" and immorality is "liberal". I mean, I believe abortion should be legal. I don't think it should be used as birth control, just a last resort. There are plenty of birth control methods out there. Plan B for example would probably cut down abortions. But "conservatives" don't want that out there either, they want it "behind the counter". I don't believe there is anything wrong with gay marriage. I don't believe creationism should be taught in schools. I also do not like high taxes, welfare, or too much government. Political rhetoric says I cannot think like this- that these beliefs are mutually exclusive somehow. Politics is garbage. ;)

Great post. I wholeheartedly agree. I've also never understood why morality is considered "conservative" and immorality is "liberal". I mean, I believe abortion should be legal. I don't think it should be used as birth control, just a last resort. There are plenty of birth control methods out there. Plan B for example would probably cut down abortions. But "conservatives" don't want that out there either, they want it "behind the counter".  I don't believe there is anything wrong with gay marriage. I don't believe creationism should be taught in schools. I also do not like high taxes, welfare, or too much government. Political rhetoric says I cannot think like this- that these beliefs are mutually exclusive somehow. Politics is garbage. :doh:

763285[/snapback]

Seems like you lean towards the libertarian side of political issues, as do I and many others in ths forum. (in my best South Park voice...) Good for you!