Operation Helmet

Mile High

I'm posting this because I was recently watching the news and found out about this organization. I found it very intriguing due to the what the statistics tell us about head injuries during conflict.

Here's an excerpt from the Washington Post.

WASHINGTON — U.S. troops are suffering traumatic brain injuries in greater numbers in Iraq and Afghanistan than in previous wars, prompting studies on better helmets and improved medical treatment and recuperation care.

An area of scientific focus at the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, headquartered at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., is how many traumatic brain injuries, or TBI, are direct results from the shock wave of a blast, and not just from the head impacting with the ground or other head and brain injuries wounds caused by shrapnel, for example, said Laurie Ryan, the center's assistant director for research.

In a preliminary study done among troops treated at Walter Reed, scientists analyzed 155 patients wounded in combat in Iraq to see if any showed signs of combat traumatic brain injury. Of the 155 troops, 96, or 62 percent, showed symptoms of minor to severe brain injuries. Of the 96, 88 likely had sustained an injury as a result of a blast, such as an explosion from a landmine, rocket propelled grenade or improvised explosive device, she said... 

Keep in mind that this is a non-profit organization and WE THE PEOPLE are the ones who out these kits in the soldiers helmets.

Operation Helmet has no connection to or association with any manufacturer of helmet suspension systems. Our only goal is added protection for our troops. If a better upgrade comes along, supported by sound scientific data from both civilian and military studies, we'd add it or switch to it in a heartbeat. We do not have an official relationship with any branch of the uniformed services, although we provide helmet upgrades to all who ask, when money allows.

All admin expenses related to the organization are still covered by our volunteers. Our books are open to inspection by any person at our home office.

These kits are 71 dollars apiece. But that's nothing when you factor in the worth of a soldier's life. 99% of all contributions are used to send upgrade kits to our troops. The other 1% is to cover shipping costs.

I'm not posting this to asking you to donate money to this site. I thought it was great that celebrities and normal people like us are helping our men and women in harms way.

Operation Helmet link

God Bless our troops.