I've just finished watching the pilot to Heroes

Dr. Fong

Overall I loved it. Some of the dialog was a bit hackey, but it sucked me in and left me wanting more. There are some interesting characters. Hiro, the Japanese sci-fi nerd being my favorite. I give it a B+. Not much else to say, just thought some people might be interested in a quick review.

All I can think of when seeing the previews is, "NBC dropped 'The West Wing' for this crap!!?" WW could have turned into a continuing series ala "Law and Order" surviving multiple ins and outs of characters over the past 15 years.... And with Alan Alda (as was originally planned) as the next pres, some new good writers and the exit of John Wells, could have been something.

If network television is any indicator of what our culture is becoming, I weep for the future.

All I can think of when seeing the previews is, "NBC dropped 'The West Wing' for this crap!!?" WW could have turned into a continuing series ala "Law and Order" surviving multiple ins and outs of characters over the past 15 years.... And with Alan Alda (as was originally planned) as the next pres, some new good writers and the exit of John Wells, could have been something.

If network television is any indicator of what our culture is becoming, I weep for the future.

761730[/snapback]

Says the guy with the dude from a commercial for an avatar. Diff'rent strokes for different folks bro. It's just TV, not art. Personally I never liked the West Wing. Actors playing pretend President just isn't my thing. I'd rather watch the news.

761730[/snapback]

At least it's better than some reality show

Was never a fan of WW to begin with, not into preachy shows. And I kinda disagree that it could have been like Law and Order. WW is the kind of show that needs to have some kind of plot continuity from one episode to the next whereas L&O could go from murder to murder

Plus WW didn't have any hotties like ADA Serena Sutherland (Elizabeth Rohm) :(

761730[/snapback]

Where have you been living for the past 10, 20, 30+ etc years??

The entertainment industry has always been aimed at the masses(read morons) since in the end, it is about making money.

The WW is an absolutely brilliant show.

I've seen the pilot for Heroes & it was a lot of fun.

It does not matter (& never has) which show is better/cleverer/makes more sense/is worth more/etc/etc....what matters is what people will watch.

If you think this attitude is new in any way, I think you might be deluding yourself. Just look at hollywood movies over the decades & you'll find that 90%+ of any era is fairly rubbish storytelling.

If anything, I'd say the overall quality of TV programs has increased quite a bit over the last 2 decades.

What do you think your culture was/is?