Holcomb Wasn't Cut

He might still get traded during the season if Nall continues to show (in practice) that he can handle being #2 QB and a team is willing to give us a #3 or conditional 3 or 4 if they lose a QB to injury. If Nall or Losman get hurt Holcomb lasts the season.

He might still get traded during the season if Nall continues to show (in practice) that he can handle being #2 QB and a team is willing to give us a #3 or conditional 3 or 4 if they lose a QB to injury.  If Nall or Losman get hurt Holcomb lasts the season.

760178[/snapback]

You really think we can get a draft pick for Holcomb?

760180[/snapback]

When teams get injuries during the season, they're willing to give up picks. A few years ago (1998) we got a 4th from GB for Darrick Holmes when he was on the last year of his contract. Unfortunately we used it on Bobby Collins a TE that Mel Kiper Jr. loved and most other draft experts had as Free Agent at best-Kiper and the Bills were wrong.

Maybe some folks claimed that moulds had no trade value, but he was still a productive #1 WR in a league with a shortage of WRs in the offseason where things are very dynamic.

Holcomb is a QB who has never shown much of anything (save a game here or there), couldnt win a starting job over JP Losman (time will tell what that says about him) and quite possibly coulndt even win a backup job over Nall. Team Rosters are set. If a starter goes down, thats why teams have backups. Even if a team traded for holcomb mid-season, he would be coming in not knowing the playbook and be way behind the eight ball. Its just not going to happen. Maybe next offseason (if holcomb is still under contract...i dont know). We might be able to squeeze a 4th or 5th for him. But not until then.

One that doesn't make so much money I guess

760157[/snapback]

Actually his cap number this year is only $1,375,000

If we cut him it would cost us another $125,000 or cap hit of $1,500,000.

If money is an issue, we keep him.

Maybe some folks claimed that moulds had no trade value, but he was still a productive #1 WR in a league with a shortage of WRs in the offseason where things are very dynamic.

Holcomb is a QB who has never shown much of anything (save a game here or there), couldnt win a starting job over JP Losman (time will tell what that says about him) and quite possibly coulndt even win a backup job over Nall.  Team Rosters are set.  If a starter goes down, thats why teams have backups.  Even if a team traded for holcomb mid-season, he would be coming in not knowing the playbook and be way behind the eight ball.  Its just not going to happen.  Maybe next offseason (if holcomb is still under contract...i dont know).  We might be able to squeeze a 4th or 5th for him.  But not until then.

760275[/snapback]

There are teams that run offenses that Holcomb is familiar with from prior seasons. Also, teams bring veteran QBs in (after injuries) who weren't with them before all the time. It's not necessarily the starter who goes down. If a team loses #2 and has a cheap #3, they'll be looking for a veteran backup.

Holcomb is a QB who has never shown much of anything (save a game here or there), couldnt win a starting job over JP Losman (time will tell what that says about him) and quite possibly coulndt even win a backup job over Nall.  Team Rosters are set.  If a starter goes down, thats why teams have backups.  Even if a team traded for holcomb mid-season, he would be coming in not knowing the playbook and be way behind the eight ball.  Its just not going to happen.  Maybe next offseason (if holcomb is still under contract...i dont know).  We might be able to squeeze a 4th or 5th for him.  But not until then.

760275[/snapback]

I don't disagree with you, but everything is 'very dynamic' in the NFL, so I would caution to 'never say "never" '. :wub:

If a team's starter goes down, then guess what? That team now needs a backup. Indy has a questionable backup situation right now. And if it doesn't happen until next season - if at all, that's fine too (at least the cap hit would be less, anyway).

760279[/snapback]

We still have to pay him an additional $875,000, using the data above. Why give him the money?

760279[/snapback]

Not to mention the fact that we don't NEED the money. We're somewhere around 8-10 million under the cap, and there are no more expensive, can't-miss free agents left out there.

We still have to pay him an additional $875,000, using the data above.  Why give him the money?

760289[/snapback]

I'm not up to date on what veteran backup QBs earn but $875,000 seems fairly low. To cut him, we would have to replace him & that means signing another QB to a contract to be the #2. That contract is bound to cost more than the $875,000 & will have waisted the 1.5Mil that KH walks away with.

*for the sake of argument, I'm assuming the coaches do not want Nall as a #2 since he is the #3*

The new QB would then have to learn the system, etc, etc.....it should all have been done weeks ago if it was going to happen.

The only reason I can see to cut him is that if he is so far regressed as to be totally useless. The fact he does not suit the offensive system & yet remains the #2 QB makes me think he has something to offer.....esp. since this regime brought in Nall themselves.

Basically, why give more money to someone else who you can be pretty sure will not do as good a job?

....unless there is a sure fire FA QB out there who everyone knows will be able to step in and do a better job. If there is, who is he?

Edited by Dibs

I think it's quite possible. 

A few months back, many folks were adamant that Moulds had "absolutely no trade value" and that we should cut him outright.  Instead, today we have Kyle Williams.

760266[/snapback]

I don't remember anyone being adamant that Moulds had no trade value, only that the Bills would never get a first, second or third round pick for him, as a lot seemed to feel his worth...and those people were right. I don't think any team, no matter how desperate, would give the Bills a third round pick for Kelly Holcomb...maybe a fourth, more likely a fifth...

Why is everyone so hell bent on getting rid of Kelly Holcomb anyways? Losman is the clear starter this year...I don't really see what benefit it would have getting rid of him, mainly becuause he has become the new Bills whipping boy...you guys still have Coy Wire...aren't you ever happy?

760180[/snapback]

Good question. I think probably No F'ing way we'd get a draft pick for him.

Maybe a 7th or a "pretend" pick in the "I don't give a sh_t draft" which is held every year in "Who gives a fu_kville?"

:wub:

I think it's quite possible. 

A few months back, many folks were adamant that Moulds had "absolutely no trade value" and that we should cut him outright.  Instead, today we have Kyle Williams.

760266[/snapback]

I think most people felt that Moulds could still produce though. Holcomb is too aged and his arm strength seems to have dropped off a cliff in the last year.

Why is everyone so hell bent on getting rid of Kelly Holcomb anyways?  Losman is the clear starter this year...I don't really see what benefit it would have getting rid of him, mainly becuause he has become the new Bills whipping boy...you guys still have Coy Wire...aren't you ever happy?

760324[/snapback]

Here, here! I am so sick of the need to hate certain Bills and try to run them out of town. It's not like there's any rhyme or reason to it. There a lot of players who have fell short over the years. It's not like these players have been locker-room cancers, cocky or anything else.

They want to play? How dare they? How dare they even attempt to make the team??

The hatred of Holcomb is the funniest to me. Losman plays terribly for awhile and Mularkey with his quick trigger finger puts Holcomb on the field. Holcomb has his limits and did the best with them. Should he have refused to play? Should have not taken advantage of the opportunity? Should he have committed ritual suicide so that nothing stood in the way of Losman's coronation?