USA Basketball loses to Greece

Thailog80

give me a break, this team seemed to do everything right, they committed themselves to performing as a team and went out and destroyed the comptetition save for two teams, this is a warm up for the real thing and Coach K and Jimmy B will have these guys poised to rule the world!

I better not hear the term "dream team" mentioned with these guys. They are a disgrace. The original dream team with Jordan, Bird, Malone, Barkley, ect was the best ever and earned the right to be called the dream team.

758465[/snapback]

Yeah, this team isn't nearly as poorly put together as the other embarassments that they've had in recent years.  People just fail to realize the most obvious point:  the rest of the world has closed the gap significantly.  Deal w/ it.

758474[/snapback]

I blame the NBA for the closure in gap. They do not enforce the rules of basketball. It is like the WWE of "major" sports.

I hate to criticze the almighty Jordan but I think a lot of it started (or at least escalated) with him. He never fouled anyone, traveled or carried the ball. Ever. :lol: When he did get called he cried profusely during and after the game.

In the last olympics it was obvious the team was not ready to compete in the sport of basketball. Ironically, the one player I started to appreciate in those Olympics was Iverson. He hustled and cared about winning.

give me a break, this team seemed to do everything right, they committed themselves to performing as a team and went out and destroyed the comptetition save for two teams, this is a warm up for the real thing and Coach K and Jimmy B will have these guys poised to rule the world!

758468[/snapback]

This was the world championships that they could not even make it to the finals of. A warm-up?? This wasn't an exhibition against an AAU team. It was a tournament against the cream of the crop from around the world.

a warm up to the plympics, they will be fine, from what i have heard, and i know talk is cheap, this team is committed to one thing, the gold medal

This was the world championships that they could not even make it to the finals of.  A warm-up?? This wasn't an exhibition against an AAU team.  It was a tournament against the cream of the crop from around the world.

758490[/snapback]

This team WAS different and I do see USA Bball going back in the right direction.

That being said, I think they may want to change the way they select the team. I think they pick too many scorers who are used to being the number 1 option on the team. Sometimes big stars don't know how to comfortably play a background role. I'm not talking about jealousy and not playing together, I just think some players aren't very effective if they don't get into their rhythms.

I think maybe they should limit the number of marquee scorers they put on the team. You need more role players to gel the team together. Then you would get a better team game.

my two cents anyway...

How does the rest of the world catch up so quick with basketball but we cannot catch up to the rest of world in soccer?

758629[/snapback]

Because the rest of the world had to catch up to ONE team. You can analyze that one team and figure out ways to beat them. The US had to catch up to a ton of teams. I think the US has closed the talent gap in soccer. There's still a distance to go, but they're much closer than they once were.

I blame the NBA for the closure in gap.  They do not enforce the rules of basketball.  It is like the WWE of "major" sports. 

I hate to criticze the almighty Jordan but I think a lot of it started (or at least escalated) with him.  He never fouled anyone, traveled or carried the ball.  Ever.  :doh: When he did get called he cried profusely during and after the game.

In the last olympics it was obvious the team was not ready to compete in the sport of basketball.  Ironically, the one player I started to appreciate in those Olympics was Iverson.  He hustled and cared about winning.

758486[/snapback]

So true.

The fact that there are "international rules" that FIBA uses is telling, isn't it? We play "their game" for a couple months out of the year, and we think we should dominate? It's blind arrogance. Our players don't care about fundamentals. If they did, you wouldn't have a league full of poor jump shooters and free throw shooters. They'd also be able to pass the ball a little better, too. But, hey, nobody can dunk like the US players can.

So true.

The fact that there are "international rules" that FIBA uses is telling, isn't it?  We play "their game" for a couple months out of the year, and we think we should dominate?  It's blind arrogance.  Our players don't care about fundamentals.  If they did, you wouldn't have a league full of poor jump shooters and free throw shooters.  They'd also be able to pass the ball a little better, too.  But, hey, nobody can dunk like the US players can.

758690[/snapback]

Nice post. Thats why I don't watch the pros anymore. The College game is more entertaining.

There will never be another Dream Team for two reasons. #1- That original Dream Team was a Hall of Fame who's who. Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Malone...They are the cream of the crop historically when you think hoops. #2- That team revolutionized the game of basketball internationally. The only foreign team that concerned them in 1992 was Lithuania, and the US was 30 points better than them with a hangover. Now, there are 5 or 6 teams that could beat the US on any given day.

This US team was well-put together. They played hard and played defense. I didn't see the game, but the reports I heard said they were ice-cold from 3 and couldn't defend a pick-and-roll that Greece ran everytime on offense.

Greece is now 8-0 in the tournament, so they can't be that bad. We'll see what type of heart the US team has when they come out for the 3rd place game. If you're going to play, you might as well win...

Two thoughts-

-Chris Paul is electric. Possibly the best PG in the world right now.

-Don't be too upset about the loss. Kobe, Shaq, Garnett and Duncan did not play. Dwight Howard and Chris Bosh are great players, but wouldn't you have preferred Shaq and Duncan in there? Kobe has a better outside shot than LeBron, Wade, and Carmelo. It's not an excuse, US still had the best talent...But we can't expect to throw a USA jersey and any player and still beat the best teams in the world anymore.

Nice post. Thats why I don't watch the pros anymore. The College game is more entertaining.

758702[/snapback]

Totally agree with ya....I usually don't know a single college player come March, but I love watching the tourney....particularly when my Temple Owls are playing. Now if college FOOTBALL would get a frickin clue and have a tourney, I'd be an even bigger fan of college sports.

Totally agree with ya....I usually don't know a single college player come March, but I love watching the tourney....particularly when my Temple Owls are playing. Now if college FOOTBALL would get a frickin clue and have a tourney, I'd be an even bigger fan of college sports.

758903[/snapback]

/rant

Most of Pros are so full of themselves too. I mean really, they palm the ball most of the time. They travel most of the time, moving off the pivot foot dancin like Fred Astaire. (4 steps for the layup ). They stand in the paint longer then Phil Esposito use to stand in the crease in the NHL.( friggin goal hanger :doh: )

Christ, how much talent does it take to dunk the ball? College Ball is just better.

/rant over

College Ball is just better.

758925[/snapback]

I LOVE college hoops. I'll watch pretty much any game. Definitely not the case with the NBA. I'm pretty pumped, I've got my 1st and 2nd round tickets for the Tournament went they play at HSBC in Buffalo this spring. I've always wanted to go to the Final Four, I think that would be incredible. Hopefully I can hit one of these in the near future:

2007- Georgia Dome, Atlanta

2008- Alamodome, San Antonio

2009- Ford Field, Detroit

2010- Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis (Did they rename the RCA Dome?)

2011- Reliant Stadium, Houston

Rounds 1 & 2 in Buffalo this March and again in 2010