It appears Gates did not put enough distance

Pyrite Gal

Well I read it all and I think i'd rather see Gates in there than Thomas, whom I didn't think would even make the roster.

Hell if we're goin' young we might as well roll with the younger backup RB. I'd be comfortable with McGahee, Gates, and Shaud Williams along with 2 fullbacks (Shelton and Ricard or Shelton and Burns)

netween himself and Thomas in the area of rushing skills to win the #2 RB job.

Gates was quite impressive showing a nose for the endzone far above what was deno.............."

You may make some good points but your posts are well.....the first thing that pops in my mind is....."Oh no! Not another loquacious epistle again from Pyrite Gal"

Many thanks as that is basically what I am doing. My apologies to those who do not have the personal discipline to not waste their precious time slogging through the overly verbose posts and my thank you to those who do find something of value or amusement within the muck and are nice enough to take the time to respond.

758709[/snapback]

I must admit, I am a bit of a grammar snob so I do scan through many of Gal's posts, mainly to marvel at his assaults on sentence structure and composition. I guess it's the internet equivalent of staring at a car wreck as you drive by.

Pyrite Gal, unfortunately, you maybe should update the name of this thread to "Pyrite Gal: insightful posts, or TBD menace?"

Posting on that topic, I have to say I regularly enjoy your posts and agree with your points quite often (85%?). On the long ones there are usually 2-3 points I zoom in on, and let the rest go. Often I've read your opinon before and there are only very small shifts from the last time I read.

Now on the topic you did post:

I had the same thought about Gates not putting enough distance betwen himself and Thomas. After PS game 2 it was clear to me Gates was the forerunner for the backup RB job. I am curious how his choice to play hurt will affect his standing. He looked a bit worse than Thomas the last two games. Will the coaches see it as a positive that he "toughed it out?" Or, will they ignore that and see just that he was outperformed?

Thomas has been the better reciever, and Gates has run a bit stronger and likely has a higher up-side. Neither has been great at blitz pick up in my opinion, with Gates maybe having the edge here. (I think Thomas recognizes the blitz faster, but Gates throws a stronger block and protects the QB better in the end.)

I must admit, I am a bit of a grammar snob so I do scan through many of Gal's posts, mainly to marvel at his assaults on sentence structure and composition.  I guess it's the internet equivalent of staring at a car wreck as you drive by.

759490[/snapback]

Pyrite has explained that he does a lot of "stream of consciousness" posts while doing other things. If he concentrates strictly on a post, they are well-constructed and composed. :)

To his credit, he has repeatedly said he writes as he thinks things through and that he apologizes if the length of his rambles are excessive, but more to the point, he has admitted many times that he does not care if you read the whole thing...or even at all.

He may not be for everyone, but I dig the fact that he doesn't give a crap what people think...and he means it. You rarely, if ever, see him taking swipes at people for taking swipes at him.

He leaves that stuff to us pros.

758668[/snapback]

Well, in that case..I find it to be over-obvious drivel. I prefer to scroll right past it to the next message.

Well I read it all and I think i'd rather see Gates in there than Thomas, whom I didn't think would even make the roster.

Hell if we're goin' young we might as well roll with the younger backup RB. I'd be comfortable with McGahee, Gates, and Shaud Williams along with 2 fullbacks (Shelton and Ricard or Shelton and Burns)

759207[/snapback]

I think the Bills are clearly emphasizing a youth movement (as opposed to the extreme of Butler era where he emphasized retaining players to the extreme of overpaying a player like Fina or not moving to acquire a replacement soon enough as he did with Jimbo where he and Ralph grossly miscalculated how long he would last).

However, it appears to me that while the Marv regime emphaszes youth that folks should realize that it is also an essential goal for the Golden Boys to get as many Ws as they can now.

It would have been interesting if Holcomb had shown production this pre-season consistent with his career QB ranking and IF JP had shown positive signs as he has but struggled a little bit more (given JP's performance this pre-season IMHO while far from perfect he showed enough improvement to win the job over a Holcomb who had performed at his career output.

However, I am pretty sure that if the Bills were given a choice between an older player they dubbed adequate and a younger player whom they thought MIGHT develop but really was a project, they would flush the youth drive and go for the Ws now given our long drought in playoff appearances and few people making bets the Golden Boys will be on this planer forever.

I think choosing a balance which emphasizes youth but is not a slave to it is the correct balance to choose. I think have a primary commitment to winning now is the right way to go.