Andre Davis vs. Sam Aiken

Kelly the Dog

One thing that has surprised me in this pre-season, after seeing all four pre-season games, is that Andre Davis is a stud on ST. He's probably as good as Aiken. He had a reputation before he came here as being a very good ST player, and it isn't just something you can say, "Oh well, it's just pre-season." He's really good. Fast. Tough. Makes tackles. Makes plays. In good position. And he has made plays each of the four games he was in. Which makes the WR cuts even harder. I really don't know who to keep. Six or seven. Wilson, Aiken or Davis. But to automatically assume that Aiken is going to make it because he's a stud on ST I think is jumping the gun. Davis is very good at that same thing. Throw in the fact he had a 70 yard TD and this is a difficult choice.

One thing that has surprised me in this pre-season, after seeing all four pre-season games, is that Andre Davis is a stud on ST. He's probably as good as Aiken. He had a reputation before he came here as being a very good ST player, and it isn't just something you can say, "Oh well, it's just pre-season." He's really good. Fast. Tough. Makes tackles. Makes plays. In good position. And he has made plays each of the four games he was in. Which makes the WR cuts even harder. I really don't know who to keep. Six or seven. Wilson, Aiken or Davis. But to automatically assume that Aiken is going to make it because he's a stud on ST I think is jumping the gun. Davis is very good at that same thing. Throw in the fact he had a 70 yard TD and this is a difficult choice.

758207[/snapback]

Evans, Price, Parrish, Reed, Aiken and Davis will make the team, I think. Tasker or Gus Johnson said that Jauron indicated that he would probably keep an extra WR b/c of how the STs are structured.

That's 6... am I forgetting someone?

758207[/snapback]

I would say 6 and keep at least one on PS if possible. Davis hasn't had the best luck when it comes to injuries.

758207[/snapback]

I know I'm a broken record now, but I still say they keep 7. But if they do keep 6, the last spot will down to the exact two you mention.

I think the locks are:

Evans, Parrish, Reed, Price, Wilson.

If they keep 7 it'll be Davis and Aiken leaving Freddie on the outside looking in. If they only keep 6, I'd love to say Aiken but I think Davis does more at the WR position.

The only reason I think Aiken sticks is because he DID have a great camp at WR from what I saw and read. He had one bad game with two drops, but four good ones on ST.

I really think it'll come down to the coaches deciding they need to keep 7 and cutting one of the DBs as a result -- banking on the talent they have there to carry them.

I know I'm a broken record now, but I still say they keep 7. But if they do keep 6, the last spot will down to the exact two you mention.

I think the locks are:

758241[/snapback]

Wilson is by no means a lock. In fact, I'll predict he's the one who is cut before Aiken or Davis. Wilson may have great hands, but he doesn't do anything "special" on the field and can't produce the same ST resume as Aiken and Davis.

I think the locks are:

If they keep 7 it'll be Davis and Aiken leaving Freddie on the outside looking in. If they only keep 6, I'd love to say Aiken but I think Davis does more at the WR position.

The only reason I think Aiken sticks is because he DID have a great camp at WR from what I saw and read. He had one bad game with two drops, but four good ones on ST.

I really think it'll come down to the coaches deciding they need to keep 7 and cutting one of the DBs as a result -- banking on the talent they have there to carry them.

758241[/snapback]

If you are going to say Wilson is a lock, I think you should offer your reasons for him being one. He didn't catch a ball today.

Wilson is by no means a lock.  In fact, I'll predict he's the one who is cut before Aiken or Davis.  Wilson may have great hands, but he doesn't do anything "special" on the field and can't produce the same ST resume as Aiken and Davis.

758250[/snapback]

The reasons why I believe he's a lock:

1) He rarely dropped a ball at camp or OTAs.

2) Everytime Juron or any coach talks about him, they gush over his abilities and hands.

3) He has made the most of the PT he's had in preseason.

4) He is not eligible for the PS (I believe...could be wrong on this?)

Of course I've been wrong many, many times...I'm just saying I got a feeling.

Edited by tgreg99

The reasons why I believe he's a lock:

1) He rarely dropped a ball at camp or OTAs. 

2) Everytime Juron or any coach talks about him, they gush over his abilities and hands.

3) He has made the most of the PT he's had in preseason.

4) He is not eligible for the PS (I believe...could be wrong on this?)

758260[/snapback]

I think he is still eligible but not sure. IIRC he was only active for 3-4 games last year. If you're not active for six or more I think you are still eligible. He could, however, have been active for more than six but I don't think so.

I think he is still eligible but not sure. IIRC he was only active for 3-4 games last year. If you're not active for six or more I think you are still eligible. He could, however, have been active for more than six but I don't think so.

758263[/snapback]

I thought he was active for 8 of 16...but like I said, I'm not sure on that.

758263[/snapback]

.....off topic but important(to me because it's driving me mental trying to figure it)

What does IIRC stand for?

Davis certainly made a statement with that catch today. And Aiken's big preseason game is now a memory.

I think Aiken still might have the inside track in my reading of the tea leaves. The coaches seem to keep trying Davis as KR man, which may indicate that they are looking for something more from him, and yet Davis has been very ineffectual at returns.

The other factor is that on gamedays, the team probably wants its #4 WR to be a Special Teamer. Thus, the wild card here is the Josh Reed may yet get cut, signing bonus and all, just because he doesn't fit the 4th WR role - even if he is the 4th-best WR.

JDG

Davis certainly made a statement with that catch today.  And Aiken's big preseason game is now a memory.

I think Aiken still might have the inside track in my reading of the tea leaves.  The coaches seem to keep trying Davis as KR man, which may indicate that they are looking for something more from him, and yet Davis has been very ineffectual at returns.

The other factor is that on gamedays, the team probably wants its #4 WR to be a Special Teamer.  Thus, the wild card here is the Josh Reed may yet get cut, signing bonus and all, just because he doesn't fit the 4th WR role - even if he is the 4th-best WR.

JDG

758292[/snapback]

If Josh Reed and Peerless will be switching off to a degree the #2 spot, then in a way Parrish is the #4 and a ST.

758207[/snapback]

Good observations fair and balanced one. It is a very tough choice to make. I would put my vote in for Davis. It's not that I don't think Aiken is a premiere ST player. It's been his rough performances as a WR in season games (NE last year for example) that make me lean towards Davis. Davis has caught many more balls for many more yards in only 1 more season than Aiken. (aside from the 70 yarder tonight)

Davis brings ST to the table but also solid receiving skills. It sadly seems that Aiken only brings receiving skills to the table during the preseason games.

Career Numbers:

Davis 102 catches for 1602 9 tackles total

Aiken 18 catches for 240 17 tackles total

(Stats NFL.com)

758207[/snapback]

Aiken has had his best training camp/pre-season this year....He has been more consistent than Davis....Also I thought they will keep 5 or 6 WRs...not 7....It is

going to be a tough cut....My bet is both Aiken and Davis are retained and may be Wilson makes it to the PS (if eligible).....