Did anyone see Bledsoe get cracked?

Tipster19

I guess it wasn't that bad of a hit, he told TO that he would have stayed in the game if it was a regular season game.

I really hope Drew puts up great numbers this year with TO. I know it won't stop the Bledsoe bashing around here, but the guy doesn't deserve half the bashing he gets and I'm still trying to figure out why people continually bash him for his play in Buffalo and continually give Flutie an ESPN like ball washing whenever his name is brought up.

. I know it won't stop the Bledsoe bashing around here, but the guy doesn't deserve half the bashing he gets and I'm still trying to figure out why people continually bash him for his play in Buffalo and continually give Flutie an ESPN like ball washing whenever his name is brought up.

758506[/snapback]

Cause Drew never had cereal named after him :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out why people continually bash him for his play in Buffalo and continually give Flutie an ESPN like ball washing whenever his name is brought up.

758506[/snapback]

Let me spell it out for you.

Bledsoe:

-- Inability to make touch throws

-- Inability to pick up blitzes

-- Frustratingly inconsistent in red zone

-- Losing record as a starter in Buffalo

Compare and contrast Flutie:

-- Exciting to watch (whether you like him or not)

-- Playmaker

-- Winning record as a starter in Buffalo

It's really not difficult to understand.

Don't be so sure about that...I know it has become "sexy" to say that Bill Parcells is overrated, but he has as good a handle on his team as any coach I have ever seen...believe me, where I live, it is Cowboys 24-7...none of Owens previous coaches ever had the command over him that Parcells already has...a lot of this "controversy" is competely fabricated....TO is an ass-wipe, I agree, but Parcells will never let him ruin his teams' season like Reid and Marriuci did.  He has put him in his place already...TO never really had a receiver the calliber of Terry Glen to play with either. 

I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone, but I do think a lot of you are mistaken if you think they are going to "implode"...this team has been getting noticeably better, even without TO...they have some talent.  I am not saying they are going to the Super Bowl, but, I think by seasons' end, they will be one of the more formidable teams in the NFC.

758353[/snapback]

Parcells has had great success as a coach, yes, but before anyone assumes he will continue to be a success, he has to take into account the Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns, viz:

Giants: 2 Super Bowl Wins

Patriots: 1 SB appearance, no wins

Jets: 1 Conference Championship appearance

Cowboys: 1 playoff appearance (to date)

At each stop, he has not lived up to the level from the last one. Now, I am no economist, so will not assume that the past predicts the future, but thought this was worth mentioning. It is the very rare coach who is as successful (let alone more so) at his next job after he has enjoyed great success. Most of the time, they generate a great deal of hype, then fail to live up to expectations. (For further confirmation of this, cf. the Jimmy Johnson Corollary.)

Dick Vermeil is the only exception who comes to mind, who went to an SB with one team and lost, then won it with another, but there were more than 15 years in between.

Belichek does not count here, I hasten to add, nor does Marv, since it is more common for coaches to have a poor first performance then get it right the second time, and they fall into that group.

I think that people expect too much of a big name coach, forgetting that there is a special alchemy that makes it possible for a coach and a team to reach the very top. Parcells looks a lot better when he has LT, for example, and Jimmy J looked much more like a genius when he had Troy Aikman than when he had Jay Fiedler at QB. Granted, an exceptional coach may indeed be able to get more out of his players than a bad one, but that is no guarantee of ultimate success.

Parcells has had great success as a coach, yes, but before anyone assumes he will continue to be a success, he has to take into account the Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns, viz:

Giants: 2 Super Bowl Wins

Patriots: 1 SB appearance, no wins

Jets: 1 Conference Championship appearance

Cowboys: 1 playoff appearance (to date)

At each stop, he has not lived up to the level from the last one. Now, I am no economist, so will not assume that the past predicts the future, but thought this was worth mentioning. It is the very rare coach who is as successful (let alone more so) at his next job after he has enjoyed great success. Most of the time, they generate a great deal of hype, then fail to live up to expectations. (For further confirmation of this, cf. the Jimmy Johnson Corollary.)

Dick Vermeil is the only exception who comes to mind, who went to an SB with one team and lost, then won it with another, but there were more than 15 years in between.

Belichek does not count here, I hasten to add, nor does Marv, since it is more common for coaches to have a poor first performance then get it right the second time, and they fall into that group.

I think that people expect too much of a big name coach, forgetting that there is a special alchemy that makes it possible for a coach and a team to reach the very top. Parcells looks a lot better when he has LT, for example, and Jimmy J looked much more like a genius when he had Troy Aikman than when he had Jay Fiedler at QB. Granted, an exceptional coach may indeed be able to get more out of his players than a bad one, but that is no guarantee of ultimate success.

758653[/snapback]

Good post. For further information on this topic, I suggest referencing the white paper for Mike Ditka's Draft Day Theorem.

Let me spell it out for you.

Bledsoe:

-- Inability to make touch throws

-- Inability to pick up blitzes

-- Frustratingly inconsistent in red zone

-- Losing record as a starter in Buffalo

Compare and contrast Flutie:

-- Exciting to watch (whether you like him or not)

-- Playmaker

-- Winning record as a starter in Buffalo

It's really not difficult to understand.

758626[/snapback]

Didn't Bledsoe break some team records and go to the Pro Bowl in his first year as Buffalos starter?

While Flutie had a bad second season and couldn't beat Rob Johnson out of the starter position?

758653[/snapback]

And even Vermeil was a failure in that he could not even get the Chiefs to the AFC championship game.

And even Vermeil was a failure in that he could not even get the Chiefs to the AFC championship game.

759012[/snapback]

An excellent point; I had not thought that through when I wrote my message. Seifert is another excellent example. Even Vince Lombardi fits in here; he had some success with the Redskins, but no championships. Though there as well his sickness came into play.

You forgot about good old Don Shula.

759024[/snapback]

Every good rule has its exception, sort of.... Shula did have success in Baltimore before Miami, but he was more successful in Miami, thus putting him on the rising tide a la Vermeil. Shula was wise enough to know when to step down, though, and also wise enough to resist the temptation and big bucks to go coach somewhere after Miami.

Don't be so sure about that...I know it has become "sexy" to say that Bill Parcells is overrated, but he has as good a handle on his team as any coach I have ever seen...believe me, where I live, it is Cowboys 24-7...none of Owens previous coaches ever had the command over him that Parcells already has...a lot of this "controversy" is competely fabricated....TO is an ass-wipe, I agree, but Parcells will never let him ruin his teams' season like Reid and Marriuci did.  He has put him in his place already...TO never really had a receiver the calliber of Terry Glen to play with either. 

I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone, but I do think a lot of you are mistaken if you think they are going to "implode"...this team has been getting noticeably better, even without TO...they have some talent.  I am not saying they are going to the Super Bowl, but, I think by seasons' end, they will be one of the more formidable teams in the NFC.

758353[/snapback]

Implosion might be wishful thinking on my part. Really I do like Parcells and dont think he's overated. But it really does look like Owens and him are on a unavoidable collision course. :w00t: