My problem with this nameless gripe

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/ne...y?page=Bills/06

WEAKNESS

What a quarterback mess. J.P. Losman, a 2004 first-rounder, is inching closer and closer to bust status. The tools are nice (especially his arm) but his decision making remains erratic, and he's far from durable. At 33, Kelly Holcomb is an upper-echelon backup but has too many physical limitations to be an adequate starter. Even if he's an upgrade, there's no sense in rebuilding around him.

I don't get that JP is getting close to a bust. Nor do I get the remark about durability.

As far as I figure it, JP was unlucky to break his leg in year one, which set him back. In year two, when it would have been better to hang on to Drew and give JP a full year of practise to improve, we named him a starter and then benched him when he struggled. And now - when we have a coaching staff that appears set to leave him in there come hell or high water, we have people calling him a bust??

Is Pennington a bust? Is Leftwich? Grossman?

Holcomb may have been an upper-echelon backup a few years ago, but in my view he's too old and has lost what little arm strength he had...

Smacks of a lack of thought to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/ne...y?page=Bills/06

I don't get that JP is getting close to a bust. Nor do I get the remark about durability.

As far as I figure it, JP was unlucky to break his leg in year one, which set him back.  In year two, when it would have been better to hang on to Drew and give JP a full year of practise to improve, we named him a starter and then benched him when he struggled.  And now - when we have a coaching staff that appears set to leave him in there come hell or high water, we have people calling him a bust??

Is Pennington a bust? Is Leftwich? Grossman?

Holcomb may have been an upper-echelon backup a few years ago, but in my view he's too old and has lost what little arm strength he had...

Smacks of a lack of thought to me.

757091[/snapback]

Sounds like it was written before even training camp let alone preseason.

757097[/snapback]

Yeah - but that's not the issue. JP does not have a durability problem. He is only close to a bust if he TOTALLY flunks this year. To me, the analysis is so far off beam as to be completely worthless - and this set against some pretty good analysis from Michael Smith and KC Joyner!

757097[/snapback]

Or written by Trey Wingo in disguise.

I love how that tool to this day likes to point out that the Bills paid a 1st rounder for JP...and he is getting paid, makes me sick! :)

Or written by Trey Wingo in disguise.

I love how that tool to this day likes to point out that the Bills paid a 1st rounder for JP...and he is getting paid, makes me sick!  :)

757330[/snapback]

Trey was a local sportscaster here in St. Louis and he was just a second tier flunky. I can't believe that he made it national. He is a joke. He came from the Dallas area and could not, or would not, lose his allegiance to the Cowboys. He is very unprofessional and reports with bias.

I wonder how these guys ever get hired.

He is very unprofessional and reports with bias. 

I wonder how these guys ever get hired.

757419[/snapback]

ESPN wants biased personnel.....to gain media points....They want homers from Dallas, NY, Was and NE to keep talking about those teams....

I can't believe that was written in August 2006.  If anything, right now JP looks like he's closer to working out than he ever has.

757441[/snapback]

February more like it. They looked at it again in early August and saw nothing to change.

He has been in the league three years and has missed time in year one and two due to injury.

757335[/snapback]

I don't buy that injury from last season, it looks like Mularkey was citing an injury as a reason to bench Losman in favor of Holcomb to avoid criticism that he was jeopardizing the team's future in an attempt to save his job. I believe that he was trying to save his job by playing Holcomb and didn't have the guts to come out and do it directly. By all reports JP practiced without any difficulty those weeks when his shoulder injury allegedly was keeing him out of the lineup.

As for Losman being a bust, well his QB rating and performance look no worse than Elway's, Eli Manning's, and most other rookie quarterbacks plus he was noticeably better in the latter part of the season.

Personally I consder him a second year QB, let's see how he performs this season before labeling him a bust.

I don't buy that injury from last season, it looks like Mularkey was citing an injury as a reason to bench Losman in favor of Holcomb to avoid criticism that he was jeopardizing the team's future in an attempt to save his job.  I believe that he was trying to save his job by playing Holcomb and didn't have the guts to come out and do it directly.  By all reports JP practiced without any difficulty those weeks when his shoulder injury allegedly was keeing him out of the lineup.

As for Losman being a bust, well his QB rating and performance look no worse than Elway's, Eli Manning's, and most other rookie quarterbacks plus he was noticeably better in the latter part of the season.

Personally I consder him a second year QB, let's see how he performs this season before labeling him a bust.

757569[/snapback]

Well Done!