David Bowie

ajzepp

Bowie did so many songs that you know, but you don't know he did them it is ridiculous. For example did you know that that song they play constantly on the radio from the Nirvana unplugged called The Man Who Sold The World is a Bowie cover song? It's true.

Space Oddity, Janine, Lady Stardust, Ziggy Stardust, Fame, Oh you Pretty Things, Surfagette City, China Girl, Under Pressure, etc, etc, etc.

I have worn out about every type of media copy of Ziggy Stardust that exists or did once exist on Earth. Bowie fuggin ROCKS!!!!!

756712[/snapback]

exactly, that's pretty much the entire motivation for my post....it's a combination of, "wow, bowie wrote/sang that?" and "damn, that's a great song....I need to find out more about this guy".

Same thing with Van Morrisson....I posted about that one time and all you guys gave me some great direction about what to start with. I ended up picking up Moondance and have pretty much worn the damn thing out. But there were a few cuts on that album that I was very familiar with, I just didn't know he was the artist behind the music. That's where you guys come in, and you do a helluva job :devil:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Space Oddity, Janine, Lady Stardust, Changes, Ziggy Stardust, Fame, Oh you Pretty Things, Surfagette City, China Girl, Under Pressure, Rebel Rebel, Diamond Dogs, Golden Years, etc, etc, etc.

You forgot the Laughing Gnome. I love that song. :devil:

exactly, that's pretty much the entire motivation for my post....it's a combination of, "wow, bowie wrote/sang that?" and "damn, that's a great song....I need to find out more about this guy".

Same thing with Van Morrisson....I posted about that one time and all you guys gave me some great direction about what to start with. I ended up picking up Moondance and have pretty much worn the damn thing out. But there were a few cuts on that album that I was very familiar with, I just didn't know he was the artist behind the music. That's where you guys come in, and you do a helluva job :D

756714[/snapback]

I love when you do these threads, man :lol:

Did you say van the man morrison :devil:

Into the mystic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1thOFt7zlT8...morrison%20love

I love when you do these threads, man :lol:

Into the mystic.

756745[/snapback]

Dude, it never ceases to amaze me how much the people on here know about music....and it's GOOD stuff, too. Everytime either I or someone else starts one of these music threads, I have my amazon wish list up in another browser adding sh-- to it, lol. I dropped $140 on amazon a couple months ago, and I'm going to do it again soon....I trust you guys with my music dollar :D

I love when you do these threads, man :D

Into the mystic.

756745[/snapback]

One of the funniest things I think I've ever seen was when Van did the Roger Waters Berlin Wall concert in 1991. He was singing with Levon Helm and Rick Danko from the Band, and they all had to sing out of one mic. Van Morrison, as you all know, practically screams his drunken head off as his normal singing voice, and to watch the Band members cringe during Comfortably Numb was hilarious!

Dude, it never ceases to amaze me how much the people on here know about music....and it's GOOD stuff, too. Everytime either I or someone else starts one of these music threads, I have my amazon wish list up in another browser adding sh-- to it, lol. I dropped $140 on amazon a couple months ago, and I'm going to do it again soon....I trust you guys with my music dollar  :D

756754[/snapback]

:lol: You will Definitely like the Spirit of this van morrison song :devil: my favorite is cleaning windows, when and if I find the vid/song link I place in the thread :lol: that you so kindly created, keep up the good stuff man! Take care :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRNhGxpWYak...morrison%20love

:D You will Definitely like the Spirit of this van morrison song :devil: my favorite is cleaning windows, when and if I find the vid/song link I place in the thread :lol: that you so kindly created, keep up the good stuff man! Take care :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRNhGxpWYak...morrison%20love

756766[/snapback]

Thanks, bro! And thanks for the contributions :lol:

I'm not kidding about anything, my friend....I'm trying to learn more about the guy, cause I have an inkling I like his stuff more than I realize.

756711[/snapback]

That's cool and TheMadCap has listed quite few titles but it is impossible imo to single out any one single or album or cd with him. His body of work is so large and of such different types.

You will enjoy what you listen too from him from movies (Cats) to all the other stuff listed. If you want something that spans a lot of his talent try this:

best of bowie. It's a double cd with 38 songs that is laid out so that it makes phenominal road trip music.

One of my favorites is TVC15

I would be interested in your thoughts after you listen to some of his work.

For example, one of the contestants on Rock Star: Supernova was covering a Bowie hit about some star guy up in space or whatever. It was a pretty simple song, but I really enjoyed it.

756646[/snapback]

In case nobody has answered your question (I'm too lazy to read all the posts) the song you're talking about is Starman. Another recent place you would have heard that song was attached to the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. As a matter of fact the soundtrack to that movie was mostly David Bowie songs as performed by Seu Jorge. If you've seen the movie he's the black guy with the guitar. If you haven't seen the movie shame on you.

That's cool and TheMadCap has listed quite few titles but it is impossible imo to single out any one single or album or cd with him. His body of work is so large and of such different types.

You will enjoy what you listen too from him from movies (Cats) to all the other stuff listed. If you want something that spans a lot of his talent try this:

best of bowie. It's a double cd with 38 songs that is laid out so that it makes phenominal road trip music.

One of my favorites is TVC15

I would be interested in your thoughts after you listen to some of his work.

756782[/snapback]

Cool, thanks for that.....typically what I like to accomplish is some sort of consensus as to where to start, you know? Not always, but a lot of the time (e.g. with van morrison) you see people suggesting the same starting point, or maybe a couple of recurrent recommendations. That helps me a great deal, cause then I can focus on a small number of options and start with some of the artist's most highly regarded music. I don't have any reservation about dropping ten bucks on a CD I've never heard, particularly when you guys give me such good direction.

In case nobody has answered your question (I'm too lazy to read all the posts) the song you're talking about is Starman.  Another recent place you would have heard that song was attached to the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.  As a matter of fact the soundtrack to that movie was mostly David Bowie songs as performed by Seu Jorge.  If you've seen the movie he's the black guy with the guitar.  If you haven't seen the movie shame on you.

756789[/snapback]

lol, yeah, I did see the movie....enjoyed it quite a bit! It's been too long since I've seen it to recall the music, but I'll have to rent it again now that you've told me that. I really dig that starman tune :devil: