Earthquake Insurance

dpbillsfan

Got a letter from Allstate a couple months ago that they were going to drop earthquake insurance from my policy. I live about 250 miles from the New Madrid fault in Southern Missouri so I figure ya know thats pretty close and I bought a $190,000 new all brick home 2 years ago and I might need it. Anyways my homeowners policy is $600 a year and a lady from Allstate called me this morning saying they would write me a seperate policy just for earthquake coverage for $480 a year. I just about fell out of my chair.

I think its time to start shopping for new insurance. She was making comparisons to Katrina and how this was a wakeup call to insurance companies and bla bla bla.

Earthquake insurance is one of those things that never made sense to me, even though I stand to take a hit where I live. I don't have the details, but essentially the coverage was for $50,000 or some such number, and the deductable was $49,000, so they'd cover $1,000.

Yeah, I'm embellishing, but the amount you'd receive is so small, that even my State Farm agent thought I should take a pass.

We have earthquake insurance.

20 gallons of water, bunch of canned food, tents/sleeping bags, propane for cooking, and about $5000 in cash, all stored away in the same place.

757201[/snapback]

Left overs from your Y2K party?