Timing of starter announcement

Anyone else notice the timing of the announcement that JP will be the starter? After reading some of Lee & Willis' statements in the press over the last few days, along withs some other starters it seemed like they thought that JP was clearly the guy. It appears that Jauron was waiting until Losman had the clear and public support of the key players on at least the offense to make it official. If so that is a great idea to alleviate some of the animosity that was seen in last years locker room that was the result of JP not earning it. Good psychology. Very shrewd. I am really starting to like Jauron.

Anyone else notice the timing of the announcement that JP will be the starter? After reading some of Lee & Willis' statements in the press over the last few days, along withs some other starters it seemed like they thought that JP was clearly the guy. It appears that Jauron was waiting until Losman had the clear and public support of the key players on at least the offense to make it official. If so that is a great idea to alleviate some of the animosity that was seen in last years locker room that was the result of JP not earning it. Good psychology. Very shrewd. I am really starting to like Jauron.

755762[/snapback]

Yes, I'm very comfortable if Jauron is sitting around waiting for the News to arrive to formulate his decisions. :devil:

I think it had more to do with the fact that there was an open competition through training camp, which has just ended. The 3rd, and for the sake of starting lineup competition most important, preseason game just finished and the coaches had time to look though all the tapes and make their decision.

Now, I'm sure they knew a couple of weeks ago JP was going to start, but for the sake of not "handing JP the job", they waited until the competition was offically over before announcing the decision. This was the whole point in having an open competition in the first place. I'm pretty sure the announcment would have come around the same time whether or not the fans and players were in agreement or not.

755762[/snapback]

But...but...but....Willis went with Holcomb to his interview with Kirwan, not Losman... :devil:

Um missed the point on that one..... :devil:

755807[/snapback]

Um, don't think so. Jauron is not basing his decision on what the other players feel, nor is there any orchestrated effort behind this announcement. JP has performed better in this offense, the "coaching" staff was all in agreement, i.e. the players weren't consulted, so no point in delaying the announcement. He has as much as said so. :)

But...but...but....Willis went with Holcomb to his interview with Kirwan, not Losman...  :devil:

755815[/snapback]

and Peter King confirmed as recently as two days ago that the veterans wanted Holcomb to be the starting QB.... :)

Um, don't think so.  Jauron is not basing his decision on what the other players feel, nor is there any orchestrated effort behind this announcement.  JP has performed better in this offense, the "coaching" staff was all in agreement, i.e. the players weren't consulted, so no point in delaying the announcement.  He has as much as said so.  :devil:

755837[/snapback]

Actually, I am not suggesting that he consulted the players at all, nor am I suggesting that he should let the news make a decision on it. I am merely suggesting that they have had the time to look at the tape prior to today. Everyone has seen the writing on the wall. Hell, JP has been taking the majority of snaps for two weeks now. They could have made it any time but they happen to be made after Willis was quoted as saying he was much better this year and Lee Evans was quoted saying that he thought he earned the right to be the man. If you think Jauron is not the least bit worried about team chemistry. Look at what happened with last years team as a result of the team chemistry being an issue.

Actually, I am not suggesting that he consulted the players at all, nor am I suggesting that he should let the news make a decision on it. I am merely suggesting that they have had the time to look at the tape prior to today. Everyone has seen the writing on the wall. Hell, JP has been taking the majority of snaps for two weeks now. They could have made it any time but they happen to be made after Willis was quoted as saying he was much better this year and Lee Evans was quoted saying that he thought he earned the right to be the man. If you think Jauron is not the least bit worried about team chemistry. Look at what happened with last years team as a result of the team chemistry being an issue.

755918[/snapback]

Right on. Let's see if buffalodenney misses it again :devil:

755918[/snapback]

Agreed on the chemistry, which is why even though the writing has been on the wall, a starter was not named until the illusion of the competition was allowed to run it's course, so as all the players were comfortable that he had earned the job. If that meant that players voiced their support of JP publicly, so be it, but whether they did or not JP was being named starter based on his merits. I appreciate your engaging in a discussion on it, I'm not even sure what the hell Oc is babbling about.

Agreed on the chemistry, which is why even though the writing has been on the wall, a starter was not named until the illusion of the competition was allowed to run it's course, so as all the players were comfortable that he had earned the job.  If that meant that players voiced their support of JP publicly, so be it, but whether they did or not JP was being named starter based on his merits.  I appreciate your engaging in a discussion on it, I'm not even sure what the hell Oc is babbling about.

755937[/snapback]

babbling? This is the first post where you have said anything positive about team dynamics/psychology. Let's review:

"Jauron is not basing his decision on what the other players feel"

and

"the players weren't consulted, so no point in delaying the announcement"

Now you are saying:

"Agreed on the chemistry"

and

"so as all the players were comfortable that he had earned the job"

Who is babbling again? It seems you have found a way to contradict yourself in the same thread - but I am babbling. How about this one: what do you think Bill Parcell's is doing regarding the TO situation? Hmmm is it possible that in addition to dealing with the problem at hand, he is sending a message to the rest of the team at the same time? I know, I'm babbling again....sorry :devil:

DJ did the same thing: he used the QB competition to send a message to the rest of the team that they had to compete for their respective jobs as well. Meanwhile, in addition to a clearly improved JP, we have seen great play/attitude from many other positions.

Anyway, the point(which u did miss btw) of the original post was that DJ is pretty slick and his handling of this whole issue has been so professional and effective that the entire QB issue has been practically killed. In fact, killed to the point that people around here are now talking about #2 vs. #3. How many negative JP posts have we seen over the last two weeks? The national press is running for cover on this and even the "insiders" and "experts" are back peddaling. Of course, JP playing well has helped out too... :lol:

All this can only to serve to boost team confidence as well as JP's. DJ effectively killed about 10 birds with one stone, regardless if the competition was a "sham" or not. But again, I have got to stop this babbling! :):lol::lol:

Anyway, the point(which u did miss btw) of the original post was that DJ is pretty slick and his handling of this whole issue has been so professional and effective that the entire QB issue has been practically killed.

755950[/snapback]

The original point I was reponding to was "It appears that Jauron was waiting until Losman had the clear and public support of the key players on at least the offense to make it official." To me that implied he was basing his decision, at least in part, on the players wishes. I still don't feel he made the call based on what the players wanted, but if he was "slick" enough to play this thing out and waited until the players came out and voiced their public support for JP then kudos for him.

I tend to think that the timing of it all is coincidental. I think they wanted JP to win the job all along, but for the sake of chemistry and to avoid the pitfalls evident from last year just handing him the job, they needed to let him play his part in the preseason to make it official, which he did. Seems to me if JP played better in the second game, he would've locked up this competition then and there, without the benefit of some recent public praise from teammates. Either way, it's all good. JP is starting, and maybe that Ivy league reputation isn't over-hyped after all :devil:

I think that folks seem to be making conclusions about Jaurom (or any of the Bills braintrust) making or announcing their decisions based on one or two factors or toward one specific goal to the exclusion of all other factors or goals.

I do not think so.

The HC is managing am emtire team which is the centerpiece of a multi-million dollar business. The idea that he is making or announcing decisions based on one )or even a few) major effects does not strike me as sensible.

If anything, one might find a discernable final element which kicked into place before a final decision is announced (for example the OK of Ralph or simply informing Ralph so he hears it first from Jauron rather than reading about it in the newspaper). However, even if there was one final activity which one could find out about, it would be a mistake to comclude that this was the ONLY or main reason why the decision was made.

The almost equating to conspiracy theories which folks seem to propose to explain the actions seem like this mistake being made big time.

In fact, if one is looking for a credible potential explanation for the timing of the announcement of JP starting, it sounds a lot more believable to me that any dealy happened because they waited until Ralph and Jauron or Levy talked directly and the owner was informed that his employees were going to make a public announcement than concluding that there was some psychological motivation.

Both ideas could be totally wrong, but a one day delay in the timing of the announcement strikes me as more likely being caused because Ralph was in the shower win Jauron called late at night and then they decided to talk the next morning because Ralph was going to bed than any grand psychological team building motivation for this delay.

I think that folks seem to be making conclusions about Jaurom ....

The almost equating to conspiracy theories which folks seem to propose to explain the actions seem like this mistake being made big time.

...Ralph and Jauron or Levy talked directly and the owner was informed that his employees were going to make a public announcement than concluding that there was some psychological motivation.

a one day delay in the timing of the announcement strikes me as more likely being caused because Ralph was in the shower win Jauron called late at night and then they decided to talk the next morning because Ralph was going to bed than any grand psychological team building motivation for this delay.

755960[/snapback]

Um, wtf? You are saying that Ralph's showering habits have more to do with this than DJ's ability to motivate and/or ability to stop the bleeding, heal the wounds, and rehabilitate the attitude of the team and it's fans? I mean I haven't seen the number of positive threads/posts we've had the last two weeks in a long time...(yeah I know, last year at this time :) )

I see - it's the rest of us that are the conspiracy nuts. For my part, I don't believe in coincidence, especially when dealing with marketing issues/pr. If you do in fact work for/are involved with Corning you should know all about this since u guys are the masters of the timely press release - it has saved your a_sess more than once. :devil::lol:

Um, wtf? You are saying that Ralph's showering habits have more to do with this than DJ's ability to motivate and/or ability to stop the bleeding, heal the wounds, and rehabilitate the attitude of the team and it's fans? I mean I haven't seen the number of positive threads/posts we've had the last two weeks in a long time...(yeah I know, last year at this time  :) )

I see - it's the rest of us that are the conspiracy nuts. For my part, I don't believe in coincidence, especially when dealing with marketing issues/pr. If you do in fact work for/are involved with Corning you should know all about this since u guys are the masters of the timely press release - it has saved your a_sess more than once. :devil:  :lol:

755963[/snapback]

No I am not arguing that Ralph's hygiene habits determine who will be a starter on this team, what I am arguing is that if one is looking for an explanation of the TIMIING of the announcement of the starting QB that the timing of Ralph's senior or hygiene moments is proabably a more likely explanation than the dimestore psychology explanation being offered.

As I said, both strike me as quite unlikely, but the shower explanation strikes me as more likely than the theories folks seem to be offering to explain the timing. While it is fun to try to dope out the rationale it really strikes me as folks being too clever by half in trying to figure out the rationale.

i thought it was a little late since we all know jp is the best qb we have on the team.....i have said all offseason in all post's on this matter jp would be starting in new england when the season starts......go jp and go bills in"06

No I am not arguing that Ralph's hygiene habits determine who will be a starter on this team, ....

... but the shower explanation strikes me as more likely than the theories folks seem to be offering to explain the timing.  While it is fun to try to dope out the rationale it really strikes me as folks being too clever by half in trying to figure out the rationale.

755966[/snapback]

I dunno...shower habits seem to be your theory :lol::lol: I'm just goofing around. Anyway, you have yet to address the point. Is it a coincidence or not? Do you really think that the stated reason DJ gave:

"We all pretty much agreed on it," said Jauron of where he and his coaching staff stood. "We all felt pretty much the same it was fairly clear to see. We certainly started giving him more of the reps a number of weeks ago. We just wondered why there was any reason not to say it if we all thought it. We decided to just let everyone know and get him used to hearing it and getting the team used to hearing it."

is the reason that they suddenly made this decision on a Tuesday? Why not Monday? Why not last week? What are these guys a bunch of 8th grade girls? "We didn't want to tell you we liked you but we all thought it all along so psst - here's your note." "Now we have to hold hands so that everyone can see that we are going out and get used to it hearing it." :lol:

Yeah that's what is. I'm wrong - it's not: "Now that all the press/player quotes from Sunday/Monday have had a chance to get out and cycled on the internet; announce the starter - it gives the press the time to play the CYA game(which might earn us some positive national press for once) and makes us look prudent and consistent at the same time". That's a conspiracy theory. :devil: Marv, DJ and the boys are really saying: "Nooooo, let's surprise 'em instead." "That's a good idea!" "Hey! Get Ralph out of the shower and let's do this thing!" :)

Look, we do the same thing with status reports/press releases in my job all the time. It's not scamming anybody. They wanted to kill this issue dead and they have so well that even the national guys are hiding/running. Go team Ivy league. Maybe it's just obvious to me because I'm used to it. Anyway faderphreak is correct. We have a smart coach/GM - now let's see if the smarts translate to wins.

GO BILLS!!!!

I think that folks seem to be making conclusions about Jaurom (or any of the Bills braintrust) making or announcing their decisions based on one or two factors or toward one specific goal to the exclusion of all other factors or goals.

755960[/snapback]

I was trying to place it, and then it dawned on me who you remind me of. Pyrite Gal :):devil: