Aaron Gibson et al

vegas55

:devil: Under the old regime, Gibson would have been starting, since they never met an overweight, unathletic O linemen they didn't love. In fact, he did start last year, except he was calling himself Bennie Anderson ( or mike williams). You need athletic guys up there to engage the quicker defenders; size is way overrated.

speaking of overrated, is it possible to be overrated when you are not even a starter. I refer to yet another article about the "great" Duke Preston. Let me interpet; he is taking a lot of snaps at center now because it is apparent to everybody that is not ever going to be a quality starter. Some versatility may help him make the team; but given the oppurtunity he never seriously challenged cast off Tuten Reyes. Not to mention he could not beat out good old Bennie Anderson last year. I don't have a problem with him as a career back up, but whats with all the publicity and gushing over the guy??

...my bad...i thought it said "eat all" not "et al"... From what i read it was more that they were hoping to have a quicker O-line and therefore a slightly lighter O-line and run outside the tackles a lot more. I think Jauron made those comments after Gibson was cut.

:devil:  Under the old regime, Gibson would have been starting, since they never met an overweight, unathletic O linemen they didn't love. In fact, he did start last year, except he was calling himself Bennie Anderson ( or mike williams).  You need athletic guys up there to engage the quicker defenders; size is way overrated.

speaking of overrated, is it possible to be overrated when you are not even a starter. I refer to yet another article about the "great" Duke Preston.  Let me interpet; he is taking a lot of snaps at center now because it is apparent to everybody that is not ever going to be a quality starter. Some versatility may help him make the team; but given the oppurtunity he never seriously challenged cast off Tuten Reyes. Not to mention he could not beat out good old Bennie Anderson last year. I don't have a problem with him as a career back up, but whats with all the publicity and gushing over the guy??

755747[/snapback]

I don't think they want Preston to replace Reyes, i think they are more looking for him to beat out incumbant Chris Villarial.

speaking of overrated, is it possible to be overrated when you are not even a starter. I refer to yet another article about the "great" Duke Preston.  Let me interpet; he is taking a lot of snaps at center now because it is apparent to everybody that is not ever going to be a quality starter. Some versatility may help him make the team; but given the oppurtunity he never seriously challenged cast off Tuten Reyes. Not to mention he could not beat out good old Bennie Anderson last year. I don't have a problem with him as a career back up, but whats with all the publicity and gushing over the guy??

755747[/snapback]

I'm not one of the guys "gushing" over Preston, but I am willing to give the guy a chance before I say he is a bust like you seem to want to imply

So as a rookie centre, he should have been beating out a veteran guard last year? Did the old regime even use him that much at guard last year? Reyes was part of a very good o-line in Carolina and was only a "cast-off" cause they had a younger, and cheaper replacement who they wanted to go with. Yet again, he is supposed to step in as a second year centre and take over the job from a veteran playing a position that he has only been practicing at for a little while?

The new regime didn't want an inexperienced young centre being the starter this year so they brought in a good one in FA this year and thought that it the 2nd year player might have a better chance getting on the field more by learning another position on the line that they needed a little more depth at.

I'm not one of the guys "gushing" over Preston, but I am willing to give the guy a chance before I say he is a bust like you seem to want to imply

So as a rookie centre, he should have been beating out a veteran guard last year? Did the old regime even use him that much at guard last year? Reyes was part of a very good o-line in Carolina and was only a "cast-off" cause they had a younger, and cheaper replacement who they wanted to go with. Yet again, he is supposed to step in as a second year centre and take over the job from a veteran playing a position that he has only been practicing at for a little while?

The new regime didn't want an inexperienced young centre being the starter this year so they brought in a good one in FA this year and thought that it the 2nd year player might have a better chance getting on the field more by learning another position on the line that they needed a little more depth at.

756204[/snapback]

Plenty of teams, including the Patriots, have started rookies on the O line. So the fact that the Duke could not beat out Bennie A last year does say a lot about his ability.

Preston didn't practice at LG, he practiced at C and RG. He replaced Villarial in more than a few games during the course of the game. He had ups and downs. I'm a fan though and he is absolutely vital to this O-Line.

Jauron said the other day that they only intend on dressing 7 O lineman a game. Preston gives them that flexibility as he is the number 1 backup at all 3 interior positions. Jerman would be the other reserve who can play either tackle and can also play a bit of guard if need be.

It takes several years for Olineman to really come into form. The Patriots are the exception that proves the rule.

Keep in mind the guy who was last year's primary decision maker for offensive linemen on this squad, Jim McNally, is still very much here.

:devil:  Under the old regime, Gibson would have been starting, since they never met an overweight, unathletic O linemen they didn't love.

755747[/snapback]

The Patriots also have an uncanny knack for drafting good OL players throughout the draft, every year.  Dante Scarnecchia is a magician and easily the best OL coach out there.  I wish the Bills had him.

756827[/snapback]

Wasn't the same said about McNally 3 years ago...