What do you think this means?

Fezmid

There's a city ordinance here that states the following:

"No person shall own, harbor or keep more than three dogs over the age of five months or four cats over the age of five months in a single household"

So does that mean I can have three cats and one dog? That's the way I read it, but someone else on the board of our association is saying that someone with three cats and one dog is in violation because it says "OR."

I think it's rather vague, personally, but am pretty sure it means I could have three dogs and four cats in my house if I wanted to because the logic would be:

if [ $MYCATS -gt 4 -o $MYDOGS -gt 3 ]

then

echo "Violatation"

else

echo "Not violation."

fi

Cw

"No person shall own, harbor or keep more than three dogs over the age of five months or four cats over the age of five months in a single household"

So does that mean I can have three cats and one dog?  That's the way I read it, but someone else on the board of our association is saying that someone with three cats and one dog is in violation because it says "OR."

I think it's rather vague, personally.  Thoughts?

Cw

755100[/snapback]

It is clear that you are correct, according to the wording here.

Some of these association people wear me out with their stupid crap. They make life not worth living.

It is clear that you are correct, according to the wording here.

Some of these association people wear me out with their stupid crap.  They make life not worth living.

755113[/snapback]

Yeah, that's why I joined the board - to help get rid of (or at least temper) the stupid people on the board...

Before I got on the board they made a rule that you could only have three "domesticated pets." Well, one of my neighbors has 3 cats and a dog and now she's freaking out thinking she's going to have to move or something. The way I look at it, we don't need a rule that we can't enforce (we're not going door to door to find violators), and we should just stick with the city ordinance. But three (of the 5) people are fighting me tooth in nail on it. Idiots.

CW

So does that mean I can have three cats and one dog?  That's the way I read it, but someone else on the board of our association is saying that someone with three cats and one dog is in violation because it says "OR."

I think it's rather vague, personally, but am pretty sure it means I could have three dogs and four cats in my house if I wanted to because the logic would be:

if [ $MYCATS -gt 4 ] -o [ $MYDOGS -gt 3 ]

then

echo "Violatation"

else

echo "Not violation."

fi

Cw

755100[/snapback]

I read it the same way. The arguement is or, so as long as you arent in violation of 1 or the rules, you are ok. I take it to mean 3 dogs and 4 cats is ok, but anything else is over the limit.

And the people that are on homeowners boards can rot in hell.

Yeah, that's why I joined the board - to help get rid of (or at least temper) the stupid people on the board...

Before I got on the board they made a rule that you could only have three "domesticated pets."  Well, one of my neighbors has 3 cats and a dog and now she's freaking out thinking she's going to have to move or something.  The way I look at it, we don't need a rule that we can't enforce (we're not going door to door to find violators), and we should just stick with the city ordinance.  But three (of the 5) people are fighting me tooth in nail on it.  Idiots.

CW

755133[/snapback]

I once knew a woman like this whose favorite expression was, "you can never have enough rules." And then she'd stand there for a minute with the most terrifying panicked expression on her face. These people love their stupid Rules--they can't get enough. It's like an erotic obsession with them. They are sad, lonely, spiteful, desperate people. I hope you're able to talk some sense into them so your neighbor can keep her pets and you can live in peace.

:unsure:

Not all of us are bad.  Some of us join to fight the bad people. :devil:

:doh:

755144[/snapback]

I agree with how you're reading it.

These people will wear you down. There are just too many stupid people in the world with nothing better to do.

Before I got on the board they made a rule that you could only have three "domesticated pets."  Well, one of my neighbors has 3 cats and a dog and now she's freaking out thinking she's going to have to move or something.  The way I look at it, we don't need a rule that we can't enforce (we're not going door to door to find violators), and we should just stick with the city ordinance.  But three (of the 5) people are fighting me tooth in nail on it.  Idiots.

CW

755133[/snapback]

Fez, you said "city ordinance". Are you also saying you are on the board of a condo association or the like, and that they wish to add things above and beyond the already-established civil legislation?

Fez, you said "city ordinance". Are you also saying you are on the board of a condo association or the like, and that they wish to add things above and beyond the already-established civil legislation?

755196[/snapback]

I'm on the board of a townhome assocation - NOT of the city. The homeowners association has added their own rules above and beyond, and one of them is "no more than 3 pets," which I disagree with and want to have changed.

I have no power over the city rules :doh:

CW

I'm on the board of a townhome assocation - NOT of the city.  The homeowners association has added their own rules above and beyond, and one of them is "no more than 3 pets," which I disagree with and want to have changed.

I have no power over the city rules :doh:

CW

755250[/snapback]

I'd say that your example of one dog and three cats would not violate the ordinance. Or 3 dogs and 4 cats.

But if most of the homeowners went that route, I'd suggest that the neighborhood will be one smelly, noisy, and potentialy dangerous place to live. :unsure:

I read it the same way. The arguement is or, so as long as you arent in violation of 1 or the rules, you are ok. I take it to mean 3 dogs and 4 cats is ok, but anything else is over the limit.

755142[/snapback]

Under the age of five months, though. You can keep as many dogs and cats as you'd like, just so you kill them before they're five months old...

:doh:

Really well-written ordinance. :unsure:

if [ $MYCATS -gt 4 -o $MYDOGS -gt 3 ]

then

echo "Violatation"

else

echo "Not violation."

fi

Cw

755100[/snapback]

Thats also the way I read it.

3 dogs and 4 cats = max