Raiders sign Jeff George

I can't believe that I'm going to go out on a limb and leave myself open for a big time bashing but here it goes.

At first this signing looks retarded but it could turn out to be a good move. Here's some aspects that need to be or has already been established.

a) This signing shows that the Raiders are not in favor of Brooks.

b) The physical condition of George. If I'm not mistaken he has kept in shape and has worked out these last few years.

c) The Raiders don't have any confidence with any other QB on the roster to step in as the starter if Brooks doesn't work out.

d) Can this offensive line pass protect for any Raider QB?

e) George's mindset and his willingness to redeem himself.

Now here are a few aspects that are proven or that are known.

a) Al Davis loves a vertical game.

b) Art Shell is a HOF offensive lineman and is working OT on this offensive line.

c) The Raiders are loaded with potential big time WRs.

d) LaMont Jordan can be a threat in the run game, just as long as he gets his mind right.

e) George has a cannon for an arm, even at this stage of his life.

f) The Raiders didn't sign George because he's a good old boy.

g) Brooks hasn't established himself on this team as of yet.

If the Raiders could find themselves a QB who can lead this team and throw the ball downfield successfully then they could definitely be a scoring machine.

OK, now blast away.

754842[/snapback]

You do make some good points. Now my question to you is, could'nt the Raiders get the same kind of production from Kerry Collins?

I am so sick and tired of all the George bashing that goes on around here.

Did you speak up when everybody thought he was just a pretty singer in Culture Club? NO! Where were you when he got arrested in New York and London for drugs? You hypocrites!

I say let him try to redeem himself in a new sport while he's still young enough!

KARMA KARMA KARMA KARMA Karma Chameleon!

I love every time Jeff George's name comes up because it reminds me of his first game in the league. Biscuit knocked his lights out early and Bruuuuuce did the same later. After every brutal hit he took, the TV kept cutting away to George's poor parents, who looked like they were scared as hell. Also, consider who was hitting him to fully understand how long this guy has been around.

I love every time Jeff George's name comes up because it reminds me of his first game in the league. Biscuit knocked his lights out early and Bruuuuuce did the same later. After every brutal hit he took, the TV kept cutting away to George's poor parents, who looked like they were scared as hell.

Ah, sweet memories. I'm thinking he started that game, but didn't finish it. They did the same thing to Bledsoe a couple of years later, in his first NFL start -- but even as he was running for his life, I saw enough from Drew that day to make me think he was going to turn out pretty good. Never did get that feeling with George.

Also, consider who was hitting him to fully understand how long this guy has been around.

Not sure on this (there might be a greybeard kicker on somebody's roster), but I believe JG inherited the "oldest player in the league" title when he signed.

Ah, sweet memories. I'm thinking he started that game, but didn't finish it. They did the same thing to Bledsoe a couple of years later, in his first NFL start -- but even as he was running for his life, I saw enough from Drew that day to make me think he was going to turn out pretty good. Never did get that feeling with George.

755370[/snapback]

Jeff George was certainly no Todd Blacledge, but...

All kidding aside, you're right. I did wonder how he was the top overall pick that year.

I did wonder how he was the top overall pick that year.

755416[/snapback]

Because he could throw a football through a brick wall, and this is what a large portion of fans view as the key to success. QBs simply get fans more riled up than do other positions.

If the Bills would have drafted Leinart (which would have been a dumb move imo), ticket sales probably would have increased, and I consider Bills fans to be more knowledgeable than most.

ESPN commentator says, "The Raiders have signed Jeff George". My reactions were as follows WTH :doh: Jeff George?:w00t: What's Al Davis thinking? :devil: They can't be serious :unsure:

755049[/snapback]

I was waiting for them to say "...as a QB coach" at the end of the statement, but it never came. (Of course then I would wonder why the hiring of a positional coach was news...).

Because he could throw a football through a brick wall, and this is what a large portion of fans view as the key to success. QBs simply get fans more riled up than do other positions.

If the Bills would have drafted Leinart (which would have been a dumb move imo), ticket sales probably would have increased, and I consider Bills fans to be more knowledgeable than most.

755431[/snapback]

Too bad they didn't draft the guy who can throw the football 70 yards from on his knees.

I remember when Jeff was playing for one of his many teams on Monday Night

(don't remember the year, but Dan Fouts was doing color commentary). Fouts

said something after Jeff pulled a bonehead move that stuck with me:

"You know, it's a shame that Jeff just doesn't go ahead and run the offense"

I think he was trying to say in nicer words: "Jeff's an egomaniac who thinks no one can tell him what to do. So he changes the play at the line of scrimmage, no matter what the coaches want. It doesn't matter whether his audible actually WORKS or not, because Jeff thinks his play is always going to be better"