A heartbreaker

This was a fun game to watch; up until the 4th quarter. For most of the game, we looked like we belonged on the same field as the world champions. That is nothing to sneeze at.

What makes this loss frustrating is how easily it could have been avoided. If only the officiating had been fair. If only Travis hadn't stumbled on 3rd and 2 with that big hole in front of him. If only our players had made fewer stupid mistakes.

Even just balanced officiating would probably have won us this game. That penalty on London Fletcher kept alive a Patriots drive that resulted in ten points. Take away the penalty, and the Patriots would have had to punt. Then you have that Dillon fumble that should have been ruled a fumble. Give us that ball too, and I really think we would have won it. I really do.

This is the second game in a row where the deciding factor has been bad officiating.

This is the second game in a row where the deciding factor has been bad officiating.

54684[/snapback]

I hear ya but I am so tired of using this as an excuse, face it the Bills are a bad team, there is no two ways about it now. Until they get rid of Drew, show TD the door and get better quality players on both the OL and DL, Im not wasting ANY more energy on this team....so we wait fuggin 8 months for the damn season and 4 weeks later, its over. I feel like a sucker.

I hear ya but I am so tired of using this as an excuse, face it the Bills are a bad team, there is no two ways about it now.  Until they get rid of Drew, show TD the door and get better quality players on both the OL and DL, Im not wasting ANY more energy on this team....so we wait fuggin 8 months for the damn season and 4 weeks later, its over.  I feel like a sucker.

54698[/snapback]

Brian....you and I were both sold a bill of goods that we naively gobbled up again.

I really think this team is close to being good. We have an offensive coordinator who actually calls running plays, even on third down. We have some young talent in Evans and McGahee (who at least knows how to block). MM has the players' respect. Drew looks better this year than he did last year; and anyway Losman is waiting in the wings. Give things time, and they will get better.

In a lot of ways, this game went like I said it would. I said we could run on NE, and Travis averaged 4 yards a carry. I also said that we'd score more than our usual 10 points, and that our defense would give up more than its usual 13. Finally, I said that the biggest problem we had was our defense not coming through for us because their offensive coordinator is better than our defensive coordinator. Our defense gave up 24 points. A lot was due to coaching: http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/2004/ne/gradesgm1.shtml asked "Why did Jerry Gray stick with the constant blitzing when it was getting picked apart by Tom Brady?"

That is a very good question.

At least we ran the ball well. Also, we completed some big passes. So our offense looks like it's getting better. Sooner or later, we should be able to get some wins out of these improvements.

54695[/snapback]

The offense scored exactly 10 points today. The other 7 came on a kick return.

Getting sick of 10 points!!!!!