Who was the best NHL Enforcer of all time?

Stl Bills

I dont know many old school enforcers, but i know chris simon, does he really deserve to be on that list? i didnt know he was that much of an enforcer, i know he put the puck in the net a lot. I'd say i first began to get familiar with him when we lost to the capitals in the ECF, i hated him then but i didnt know he had been that special for a number of years. Did he have any memorable fights?

754567[/snapback]

Chris Simon was a tough mother!@#$er. Best seats of my life of any sporting event I have ever attended were front row seats, center ice, Hartford Whalers vs Washington Capitols. Stu Grimson fought Chris Simon right in front of me- !@#$ing awesome fight!

Terry O'Reilly.  He seemed to get thrown out of every fourth game or so.

753749[/snapback]

And if he was lucky won every fourth fight or so. :P

I would probably go with Kocur, Williams, and Churla although the guy with St. Louis that broke Rob Ray's face (IIRC, it was Twist) gets an honorable mention. I'd also give honorable mentions to Magnuson, the Plager brothers, Nilan, and Bugsy Watson.

Other than Magnuson, I didn't include any guys like Gillies who could actually play hockey as well as goon it up. I also didn't include any guys from way back, but Shore, Howe, and Ferguson probably should be included in the discussion.

Tony Twist?  No way.

1. Probert

2. Brown

2a. Semenko

3. Williams

4. Grimson

5. Kocur

6. Schultz

7. Chris Simon

753954[/snapback]

Are you serious AD? Twist doesn't even crack your top 8, guess we'll have to agree to disagree (wouldn't be the first time, huh ;) ). Anyway part of me agrees with Probert as the best enforcer of this generation just because he did it for longer than Twist, but I have seen Twist whoop his ass (I know they've fought at least three times though).

Anyway just because I'm a homer, here's some more TWISTER :P<_<:) .........

And More TWISTER :P<_<:) .........

here is francois leroux vs tony twist, twist actually gets beat in this one but he's still one crazy !@#$er......

Another Great Twist Compilation........

;)

Are you serious AD?  Twist doesn't even crack your top 8, guess we'll have to agree to disagree (wouldn't be the first time, huh  :P ).  Anyway part of me agrees with Probert as the best enforcer of this generation just because he did it for  longer than Twist, but I have seen Twist whoop his ass (I know they've fought at least three times though).

754774[/snapback]

Every enforcer has lost a fight. That's not a measure. Almost every guy on my list played at least twice as many games and were far better hockey players. What'd Twist have, 30 points in his career?

Twist was a steroid freak and a nutjob. Terrible hockey player. I'm not saying he wasn't a tough guy, but there are ALOT of enforcers I'd rather have on my team.

Chris Simon was a tough mother!@#$er.  Best seats of my life of any sporting event I have ever attended were front row seats, center ice, Hartford Whalers vs Washington Capitols.  Stu Grimson fought Chris Simon right in front of me- !@#$ing awesome fight!

754571[/snapback]

He also wasn't too fond of Mike Grier.

Every enforcer has lost a fight.  That's not a measure.  Almost every guy on my list played at least twice as many games and were far better hockey players.  What'd Twist have, 30 points in his career?

Twist was a steroid freak and a nutjob.  Terrible hockey player.  I'm not saying he wasn't a tough guy, but there are ALOT of enforcers I'd rather have on my team.

754971[/snapback]

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you. Probert and Brown will be remembered for a long time for what they did and Twist is more of a local legend around these parts. I know he's a goon, but he's my team's goon so I'm still a little partial to the TWISTER. In the grand scheme of things though, guys like Probert and Brown have done more to go down as greatest enforcers of all time. That being said I'd still put Twist up against either one.

I'll toss another vote on the fire for Probert. The guy could take a tremendous amount of punishment w/o flinching, he fought well with both hands, and he understood the advantages and disadvantages of equipment. The best pure enforcer I've ever seen.

I can't go w/o mentioning a guy who was never considered an enforcer because he was just too good a player and too nice a guy, but was still one of the most feared and respected players to ever skate in that league.

Larry Robinson, you were one bad muther.......