Thoughts on last nights game

the D. did look pretty pathetic except for a handful of plays. that said, they are playing in a brand new scheme and until they come together and the 'tampa 2' is something they know like the back of their hands, there are going to be massive holes all over the field and opposing O's are going to exploit it. i do expect the D to be lightyears better then how they played tonight by week 4 or 5 of the season. also important to remember is that the bills will unleash a variety of different and more complex blitz packages then what they showed in the preseason.

Seriously I'd like to know why we gave up huge yardage at the most inoppurtune times.

20 yard completions on 3rd and 3 and long runs in similar situations, etc. And I'm not even referring to the 4th quarter here. Is it the coaching or the players?

We made their 3rd stringer at QB look like an All-Pro. That was scary to witness.

Once again mistakes killed this team in the first half. False starts and illegal formations at home!!!!!!! WTF? :blink: That might be understandable on the road but not at the Ralph. This time around it wasn't the QB's that cost us the game but the offensive line.

On that first drive, we shouldn't give up 7 points so easily, especially to a team like the Browns. I don't understand this at all. Playoff teams maybe but if we can't beat the crappy teams, we won't win any games this year.

*No touches for A Thomas or Shaud Williams

*McGee sounded picked on in the zone coverage again (I haven't watched game, only saw play-by-play)

*Price is alive and well, it seems

*Wilson looks like he moved in front of Davis for 6th WR spot

*4th DE spot still contested

*Moorman, Schobel and Fletcher seem to be picking up where they left off

*K Williams was made starting RDT and seems solid

*I was wowwed by Clements who seems like he is well worth the big bucks....

*The new DBs were quiet

all we can do is speculate as to why the D looked and played so crappy tonight. i hope it has a lot to do with the team playing so many young/new players and the new scheme is still a work in progress. i do fully believe, however, that with each game they will get better. it may be painful at first but we all know that we are still in a rebuilding process....

I didn't see the game (I live in NC) and just 'watched' on NFL.com, along with reading the minute-by-minute comments but it sounds encouraging. If we got a QB out of this game, that's plenty. We can build around a solid QB but you can't hide a mediocre/bad QB in the NFL. It appears JP has shown progress and flashes of brillance - enough to take the reins and get the confidence of the team (which is most important in the long run). We'll get better, we can scheme more, etc. but we can't do anything without a QB. If we solidified that tonight (or at least made significant strides), then tonight was a successful evening

it's refreshing to read a post like that. and i agree with you 100%. to me, the fact that the D played so poorly or that we didn't have a lot of rushing yards is not reason to raise the red flag. this is a team playing in a BRAND NEW scheme with several new/young players and also, no teams show all of their blitz packages in the preseason. the fact that JP looks much better so far this year then he did at the end of last season is reason enough for me to be positive about this season. we will get better each game and we will finish stronger then we started. rome wasn't build in a day.....

Seriously I'd like to know why we gave up huge yardage at the most inoppurtune times. 

20 yard completions on 3rd and 3 and long runs in similar situations, etc.  And I'm not even referring to the 4th quarter here.  Is it the coaching or the players?

752789[/snapback]

Since it happened frequently last year, starting in Week 2 with the D making Cadillac Williams look like a seasoned pro.... I'd venture to say it is the players. And, more specifically, it's our DL not getting quick pressure (sorry, but many of Schobel's sacks have resulted from coverage) and not being able to rush the QB and tackle well --- it's one or the other. When the other guys have time to operate or initial holes to run through, bad things happen.

Once again mistakes killed this team in the first half.  False starts and illegal formations at home!!!!!!!  WTF?  :blink:    That might be understandable on the road but not at the Ralph.  This time around it wasn't the QB's that cost us the game but the offensive line. 

752789[/snapback]

Blame the fans, they started doing a wave while the Bills were on offense. That's what got them the 3 or 4 penalties in a row.

I was at the game and to me the D didn't look that bad except for the first drive. They remind me of the defense we had 2 years back where we would give up a TD on the first drive consistently then play a "bend but don't break" D for the rest of the game. The starters gave up what, 7 points?

I'm not concerned.

Offense looked good.  Defense looked horrible.

752782[/snapback]

Other than the 13 points we gave up (TD nullified by penalty and 10 points off turnovers), yeah, the offense did look good. :blink:

Offense was sloppy but showed me what it could do. I mean, on top of the false starts, two procedurals and a delay of game? But when we weren't hurting ourselves we did okay. I would still like to see 1 11+ play drive out of Losman....I like the long strikes and yeah the "chunk" plays are what we are hoping to see, but I'd just like to see a nice long drive out of the offense before the season starts...

Special teams gets partial credit for 3 of those points off turnovers.

1st string defense did hold their offense to 7 points. Seemed to adjust all right after the first TD (-1 yards of offense on the next three possessions...). Looks like Coy might have got burnt on that first TD...yawn.

Yeah, what gives with slagging the defense? They gave up a TD on the Browns' opening drive, but I remember seeing Wire in there, and I heard Tasker saying that the closest guy to Heiden was Ellison, who is a 7th round rookie. So they weren't exactly playing starters during the entire drive.

As for offense, outside of that INT, JP was THE MAN. He was mostly SO on-target I was like "is this really JP?", and finished 15 for 22 (68% completion percentage) with several dropped balls. The Bills shot themselves in the foot (surprise, surprise!) with drive-killing penalties, which will have to be addressed. And Nall proved that he's not starting material.

But again, this is the Browns. I think they're moving in the right direction and were a better team than the Bills last year, but aren't there yet.

As for offense, outside of that INT, JP was THE MAN. He was mostly SO on-target I was like "is this really JP?", and finished 15 for 22 (68% completion percentage) with several dropped balls. 

752897[/snapback]

Yeah, Shelton had two of them. :blink:

And the pass to Royal in the end zone was catchable, though I wouldn't call that a drop. But Losman had a couple poor throws that the receivers caught, so I guess it evens out.

Don't get me wrong, this was more or less the kind of performance I was looking for out of Losman. He's clearly the #1 QB on this team, FWIW...

I didn't count the Royal pass in the endzone as a drop since he led him too much and someone said they saw holding and/or PI on the call. There were 2 drops by Shelton, although on the first he got drilled just as the ball got there, and I thought Evans could have come up with another one. But hell, I'll take 68% passing (which could have been 77% passing or higher if those 2 to 3 passes were caught), anyday!

Don't get me wrong, this was more or less the kind of performance I was looking for out of Losman.  He's clearly the #1 QB on this team, FWIW...

752910[/snapback]

With no thanks to our IQ challenged former HC. I have a feeling that the crap plays JP is purging from his system could have been accomplished last year but for the fact that we had a meathead for a coach.

Blame the fans, they started doing a wave while the Bills were on offense. That's what got them the 3 or 4 penalties in a row.

752866[/snapback]

Those lousy fans and their cheering and waves, bunch of idiots. There should be a total silence rule at the Ralph enforced by crap throwing monkeys.

Wondering what qualifies as a clip in the the NFL these days? I saw two blantant ones on Cleveland's last 'drive'. Also, it's pretty difficult to stink as an officiating crew in pre-season but these guys made their best effort.

Great to see TKO on the field!

Other than a few bad throws, I was pleased with JP's progress. Nall ended up reedeming himself, but looked pretty bad right at first. Outside of a major mishap or injury, it appears the depth chart at QB is done.

It is irritating that our defense can't seem to hold on third and long in alot of instances.

It was great to see Peerless show up. I hope it is a sign of good things to come.

I noticed Aaron Gibson is one BIG dude.

They should have played the entire song of "The Angry American" for the spectacular fireworks and laser show.

For a 12 year old, the girl that did the anthem did a bang up job.